Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger R/T 5.7 RWD w/6 Speed Manual
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customizing my ride from the ground up, tires & rims seemed like the place to start. Having accumulated all the relevant data (bolt pattern, offset, etc) I started looking around the web at options. Ideal fitment would be a staggered 21x8.5 & 21x10.5. A 20x rim would be acceptable, but 21 provides that aesthetic difference between "good enough" and "just right." I really don't like spoke rims, and much prefer chrome to black/colored. My preferred style is a dished "Indy," (mostly solid dish with ~rectangular or "pill shaped" windows) followed by visually similar variations of the "Rallye" & "D Window" styles; and a 3rd tier option that I can only describe as "looks like a colander." (Dish with lots of round holes)

Here's my issue: a combination that suits both my wants and my needs doesn't seem to exist. I have spent almost a month scouring the net for (ideally) 21" Chrome Indy rims available in widths from 8" to 10.5" and come up with squat. When my ideal mix wasn't turning up, I searched out all the Chrome variations from 20x8 to 21x8.5 and 20x10 to 21x10.5. Lots of black options, lots of spoke options; diddly for non-spoke chrome. I've checked out more vendors than are list-able here, including some that only price in Euros, and even Ebay... nothing.

I've actually sent out requests to 3 custom fab shops with specs and a quote request, but can't imagine they're going to return with a price I can live with. Any help or advice in finding my rims will be greatly appreciated.

(btw: the stickied "Forged Wheel Vendor" long list from 2011 has several no-longer-valid domains)

·
Vendor
13,246 Posts
no such thing as a 21 inch wheel, stop looking, way over thinking this, and wheels have been beating to death, choose a wheel you like and let the manufacturer or retailer suggest the correct sizes

best recommendation, 245/45r20 front on a 20x9 and 275/40r20 rear on a 20x9, have to keep roll out close or you will have issues with traction control and stability system

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no such thing as a 21 inch wheel, stop looking...
Found some imiges that indicated otherwise, however that 1" in diameter isn't the major hang-up here. Thanks though for helping to limit the search terms though ;)

...choose a wheel you like and let the manufacturer or retailer suggest the correct sizes

best recommendation, 245/45r20 front on a 20x9 and 275/40r20 rear on a 20x9, have to keep roll out close or you will have issues with traction control and stability system
If you (or anyone else) could point me towards something like the American Racing VN327 Rally Mag in a 20" option I'd be ecstatic. Every vendor I've approached either on line or in person says the same thing: "We don't have exactly that, but let us show you {many samples of what are nothing like dished slotted rims}"

And a staggered fitment is kind of a must as well. To the best of my understanding, Rear rim should be at least 10" wide for future expansions into 305/15 tread widths.

·
Vendor
13,246 Posts
let rephrase it, you will find nothing to speak of in 21's, good luck finding availability of wheels and tires in that size

according to their website, 17x10 is the largest they make

20's and 22's will be available, however I don't believe you will find anything that resembles what your looking for

also availability of parts/wheels etc currently is becoming a major issue

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
22" is too restrictive on the profile for my preference; though I suppose if I found that slotted dish look only available in a 22" I'd live with it.

"Just not gonna find it" seems like the result I'm headed for, which really sucks. Given the cost of quality rims, investing in a "do for now" look I don't want just to get the staggered set up on a rim over 17" is a trigger I can't bring myself to pull.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,499 Posts
They make a 15 inch brake kit that allows for 15 inch rims, as long as the barrel of the rim is 13" Min. I.D.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,330 Posts
Very Pricey but Foose has a ton of options and can even custom fab many styles. With that your easily into over a Grand a Wheel...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Foose is one of the three shops I've reached out to. I'm anticipating quotes of >1k/rim for the custom work. That's not to say I've easily got the budget for such. However if I can get the look I want, in the material i want, in the staggered sizes I want, with the exact bolt pattern, center bore & offset fitment I need; plus the personal bonus that my ride's look can't be duplicated "off a shelf"... the cost becomes more acceptable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HAZZAH! ... potentially...

I'd very much like to avoid the excessive cost of custom fabrication. Towards that end, I have a found a vendor offering 20" Rally style rims that match the RTs fitment almost perfectly, with one caveat: the center bore of the rim is 78.3 while the RT spec is 71.6

Question: With all other fitment measures being exact, would the rims' oversize center bore present a handling or safety issue maneuvering at speed on road courses? If not, great! If so, are there options for dealing with that one issue?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
You could get some 78.3 - 71.5 hub centric rings

Or some more expensive aluminum rungs

I'll let others comment on whether they are absolutely necessary

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
I'll let others comment on whether they are absolutely necessary

A Guy
Oooh, Ooooh, me first. Personally I wouldn't bother, but they are cheap.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, thanks for that! I figured there'd be something for the gap, had no idea what it was called. Pricing looks reasonable enough, and i'm a big believer in better safe than sorry ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts