·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger SXT+
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. >:)

Look what came in the mail today!!!

I have more pics waiting :)

The box was well packaged together. So far, no damage noticed to any parts. Though I haven't unwrapped all the piping yet.
Currently have the HP Tuner software installed, updated, and drivers ready to go.

Next step is to install the supplied PCM and read the stock tune to send to RIPPs so they can reply back with their Supercharged Tune for my vehicle.
Their instructions, while very detailed w/ included pictures, did not mention if I should read the stock tune from my stock PCM or the unlocked PCM. I called to verify. You read the stock tune from the UNLOCK PCM. They said they will update their manual to specify. Thinking about it now, it makes sense to read the tune from the PCM you'll be flashing to later. Never can be too careful ;)

I've read through the instructions once now. Going to go over it twice more after work and make notes of any supplies/tools I need to have made readily available.

Next up is to locate some NGK plugs that are one step colder. They recommend them. But you can reuse your stock plugs and re-gap them to their specs.
Conversion Chart for heat ranges as NGK's runs colder the higher the number: https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/article/225/heat-range-conversion-chart

Already got my oil and filter ready for the oil change.
Just need to pick up a bottle of coolant to replace any that may have spilled.

The tentative install date is this Saturday!

This kit does require some cutting and grinding on your car as a general fyi.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger SXT+
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Prepping:
  • Oil - went with Mobile 1 Syth. 5w-30 as Texas Heat is brutal and I had some valve train noise with the 5w-20
  • Oil Filter - K&N
  • Ramps and Jack Stands
  • A good cutting wheel
  • Rags
  • Box fan
  • Bucket to catch engine coolant
  • Water - it was hot out in that hot box
  • Metric tools: 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 14mm, 16mm
  • Iron file to smooth out cutting edges and alter the plastic intake manifold to fit around the raised fuel rails
  • Magnetic spark plug socket (much better than the rubber ones inside the socket)
  • NGK Plugs gapped at .032 inches
  • Bottle of soapy water to check for boost leaks
  • Push Pin Retainer Remover - a must have!
The Kit Overview:

Here is the link to my install pictures (finally): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b9flq4idp30zh4c/AACcRU_XrGvx-2VableapjPea?dl=0

Morning Of:

Afternoon:

Evening:

Total Install Time: ~ 20 hours over Saturday and Sunday. Crappy dremel cutting discs did not help here. Manual was missing some steps that you had to use your problem-solving skills to solve the puzzle.

Final Notes:

#1 - Instructions are some what lacking. But I managed to do it. This kit is not a paint by numbers, it's more of a build your own adventure type puzzle. I'd hope they iron this install manual out before they go to market for the masses.

Examples:
  • No proper inventory of the all the parts required for this particular kit
  • Pipes were not labels or pictured well in the manual. Couplers weren't either.
  • Several missing steps
  • Extra steps left in from previous vehicles

Mike's OST Tune:
Soft launches on the 2nd revision: https://youtu.be/jZJNWt3Ldqs

Tuning Links
Neural Network Control
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f181/using-hp-tuners-436953/

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
good luck with the install!

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Fantastic, very nice to see another supercharger build, will there be any dyno testing and or 1/4 mile times?

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger SXT+
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan to record some 1/4 mile times and try to get on a dyno on Friday if possible since I'll be getting off work early. (For pre-install numbers)

I've read through the manual and noticed I'm missing (or can't find) the template to cut/modify the car for the intercooler.
The manual is also missing 2 diagrams. The belt routing diagram and a picture showing which bolt of the alternator needs to be pulled.

I've emailed them about this to see if there's a specific place the template is packed and I overlooked it. (I've triple checked all the boxes)

Being a pre-sale kit, I'm not upset. Kinks are bound to put up as they smooth out their install manual.

The injectors they supply you with are 57lbs injectors based on their part number. For those that are curious.

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a T27 Torx Head, coolant, thread locker, masking tape, and some extra cutting wheels for the Dremel. Other than that, I have every tool/materials needed. Per the manual anyways :p

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger SXT+
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

RIPPs has been prompt with their response.

I have the belt diagram now (could have figured it out as it was not complicated but better safe than sorry). And they are shipping me out a new template to make my cuts.
Also the part number for the recommended plugs: NGK #9723 or NGK SILZKR7B11.
The bolt being pulled from the alternator is a step that should have been omitted as it was from another 3.6L model.

I also received the supercharged tune this morning as well :)

Plugs have been ordered.

I doubt I will have the template by Saturday (NJ/NY -> TX). So it looks like I'm pushing back my install date another week.

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger SXT+
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update:

I really didn't want to push back my install date. I've been following RIPPs for over a year now awaiting the release of this kit.
So I called them up and asked for the dimensions of the template so I can recreate it (it's a long rectangle piece that has an elongated curve across the top coming down to each bottom corner on the sides). I, just now, received the email with the dimensions. :)

Install is back on for tomorrow! I'll gap my OG plugs as my new plugs come in on Tuesday next week.

I also did an inventory double check with their install guide from the parts I received. It seems I have everything. Though, some feedback I'll provide them, to polish their install manual they should have included an actual inventory list so the installer/customer can easily do an inventory check without having to read each page thoroughly.

So it may be possible I'm missing some bolts/nuts/studs. I'm feeling confident that I'm not though.

This kit also comes with its own thermostat housing w/ a thermostat. So my purchase of the 180F thermostat beforehand was in vain.

I'll post it up for sale later. Brand new, in box.

Edit: Templates: Top is the picture sent to me. Bottom is what I cut out with my pocket knife and a tape measure.
The guys at RIPPs said that templates aren't in yet. It's just cardboard... but with that statement, I'd assume they ordered something more... official. Plastic or a light/thin metal template I'm guessing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger SXT+
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Started at 9:40 AM CST. Had some breaks here and there. About halfway done.

Note to self: I need a better cutting equipment. That took fooooorever to cut into the radiator support with my dremel, ****ing cheap discs (I could have packed sand together and it would have lasted longer).

Here's a teaser:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger SXT+
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fixed a boost leak and had to cut a bit about 1 1/2 to 2 inch off the driver's side pipe going to the intercooler as it was too long as I had clearance issues with my Driver's side tire rubbing ever so slightly on tight turns.

2nd test drive went good. Going to get a few things at the part store then start button everything back up.

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger SXT+
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The intercooler works and looks pretty well I believe. Going down the road keeps the IAT 10 degree above ambient.

Will work on organizing pictures and my write over the next couple of days.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Did their kit provide a new tuner or do you have to buy that separate?

Do they offer tune support to make it as right as possible?

Sprintex gives you some support and works with you to fix initial issues but it's much harder to get them to "change" the tune to improve on power output. Sprintex pretty much removes your ability to make any changes to the tune even with the tuner.

Just seeing what Ripp is like as far as tune.

Sprintex I'm finding out if you want more from the supercharger you will just have to go to an outside source to really get it dialed in, but I'm trying to get as much as I can out of Jay at Sprintex before he tells me to take a hike.

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger SXT+
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Did their kit provide a new tuner or do you have to buy that separate?

Do they offer tune support to make it as right as possible?

Sprintex gives you some support and works with you to fix initial issues but it's much harder to get them to "change" the tune to improve on power output. Sprintex pretty much removes your ability to make any changes to the tune even with the tuner.

Just seeing what Ripp is like as far as tune.

Sprintex I'm finding out if you want more from the supercharger you will just have to go to an outside source to really get it dialed in, but I'm trying to get as much as I can out of Jay at Sprintex before he tells me to take a hike.
It came with the HP Tuner MPVI Standard, OBDII Cable, USB Cable, and the software for your laptop to both tune (adjust, read & write) and scan (data log) your vehicle.

I wish it came with the MPVI Professional as it has additional inputs to hook up a wideband so you can data log that with everything else. But HP Tuners does have an upgrade program. So I may take advantage of that.

I'm not aware of advanced tune support, haven't asked just yet. I'm sure if I had driveability issues, they'd help out no problem. I'm going to assume they are going to be the same as Sprintex, but I will update once I come across that bridge.

Got my new plugs in today that I need to gap properly and get them installed along with troubleshooting why I'm only seeing ~4lbs of boost instead of 8lbs at WOT. Also, through logging I noticed I'm not getting full 100% WOT... I think you were having this trouble as well? (I'll pull up the specific logs later this evening when I'm not working). I've improved this by recalibrating my gas pedal to the new PCM (I skipped this step I believe when I installed the new PCM).

Engine off - press gas all the way to floor. Proceed to start the engine. Let it crank for 5 seconds (it won't fire). Turn off. Start car as normal.

They have been responsive to my emails and phone calls in relation to a missing part or two. Which is good. Should receive my vacuum line by Friday that was missing (goes into the neck of the air filter. )

Pending a response about replaced a pipe that was too long that I had to cut 1.25 inches off to fit. They noted it was too long and offered to swap it out for me. 1 other customer of theirs had this issue.
Also note, that I was aware that this was a pre-sale kit (I was 1 out of 5 for the Challengers, this was after they did their R&D with beta testers) and I got special pricing for being a "tester" before they went out on sale for the masses.

It is noted in their manual that it's suggested to go out and get a dyno tune to dial it in for your specific car and have knowledge about boosted applications or a mechanic that does.

There are some guys at the HP Tuner's forum that seem very knowledgeable about tuning our engines. They reported adjusting the shift points up to 7k-7.2K on our engines and say it handles it w/o issue.

I did some light tuning on my 95 Z28. Bumped up the speed limiter, advanced the spark timing by between 2-4 degrees, and tried to firm up the shifts. Very interested in learning about tuning this engines.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Sprintex has no full throttle built in the tune, they won't give you full throttle til 4900 rpm which is crummy of them to do, so my launches are super soft with drag radials, I need to get them to ramp up the opening rate quicker on launch if my time is going to improve in the 60ft at the race track, I did buy a 60 mm pulley to bring in boost sooner down low maybe that might help.

As far as engine rpm, mine shifts around 6600 out of 1st and 6800 out of 2nd and peaks out at just over 6900 out of 3rd when I cross the 1/4 mile finish line, Jay at sprintex has my engine rev limiter set at 7300 rpm.

I will test at track, but I might be able to go quicker with some short shifting using the torque of the blower to get me down the track, I will have to wait and see on that, get a pretty consistent time in autostick and then try short shifting say at 6k to see if the car picks up anything in the traps.

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger SXT+
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got my new plugs in and gapped them down to .032 using feeler gauges.
Did some more cruising around town for data logging. Peaked at 3.66 PSI of boost. Doesn't seem right for what they claim on the dyno.

Made a 0-60 run. 5.3 seconds. Down from 6.5 seconds stock.
That's only what like ~330 RWHP from using the online calculators.

Calling them tomorrow to make sure I have the right pulley.

Also via VCM Scanner, my Throttle is only reporting 86.3% (4.31 Volts) Open. this is > 5K RPMs...

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger SXT+
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do some research but little I have looked at TPS numbers I never have seen 100% at WOT.
Will do, good suggestion,

Called RIPPs today about the boost only maxing out at 3.66 PSI. They asked if the car was running fine. To which, as far as I know, it is. No idle problems. No acceleration probs (minus I should be having more power I think).

They told me to buy a boost gauge as the MAP sensor won't report actual boost. .... I don't see how that's correct? VCM Scanner has a math function to calculate boost from the Map Sensor and Barometric Pressure. Why wouldn't this be accurate? I understand that the normal kpa reported by the map sensor is not the relative boost to ambient pressure, but total pressure. Hence doing the conversions to PSI and subtracting ambient pressure. I get the same result. I don't even hit 4 PSI of boost.

Am I missing something?
Actively doing research in between work tasks. Looking at getting a Wideband & Boost Gauge as well as researching Boost Guage vs Map sensor accuracy.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Sounds like the tune is similar if not the same as Sprintex, don't matter if you have a wideband or not, nothing to tune, the program even at wide open throttle is all self learning, they won't give you full throttle either til 4900, at 4900 rpm I have 100% full throttle but my wot throttle even with my tuner does nothing, I can change timing and fuel to try to improve on wot air fuel ratio 5-7k rpm but it does no good, the program pretty much ignores any of your input.

Sounds like your stuck with the same program I have and if anyone of us wants decent power we will have to out source a new tune.

I was told in the beginning that I would have to go to Mike at OST to get any power out of my Sprintex.

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger SXT+
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'm aware I need a wideband for actual tuning. Currently, I'm in learning mode and just doing data logging to see how my setup is currently running minus the wideband. AFR isn't on my radar as I'm more concern about my boost being at the proper levels. For the moment anyway.

So for Ss and Gs I found this page, https://www.hptuners.com/help/tips_and_tricks_scanner_convert_map_to_boost.htm, and setup my own user defined PID in the scanner software.
It now shows just over 6lbs of boost at near max RPMs which is more in line with what I'm expecting. The default Math PID for Boost they have seems to not calculate boost correctly.
I now need to teach myself how much the outside temperature affects air density. Hot Texas air could be a reason I'm not seeing closer to 8 lbs of boost.

Also, I ordered an AEM boost gauge and AEM wideband gauge along with the dual pod pillar for my '15 Challenger.

I'll get these installed, and get my missing vacuum line installed. After that, I'll confirm my boost levels with the gauge and hit a dyno up for power levels. Then go from there.

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger SXT+
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Sounds like the tune is similar if not the same as Sprintex, don't matter if you have a wideband or not, nothing to tune, the program even at wide open throttle is all self learning, they won't give you full throttle either til 4900, at 4900 rpm I have 100% full throttle but my wot throttle even with my tuner does nothing, I can change timing and fuel to try to improve on wot air fuel ratio 5-7k rpm but it does no good, the program pretty much ignores any of your input.

Sounds like your stuck with the same program I have and if anyone of us wants decent power we will have to out source a new tune.

I was told in the beginning that I would have to go to Mike at OST to get any power out of my Sprintex.
So with HP Tuners, I have control over pretty much everything tuning wise. The tune they (RIPPs) gave me was "locked" so I couldn't read the values, but all I had to do was read it from my PCM after I flashed it.

I now have their tune to which I've been comparing vs the original tune to see what they changed. As well as teaching myself more advanced tuning concepts as these systems are torque based control. For reference: https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_editor_tuning_how_to_advanced_e78.htm

Mike @ OST is also on the forums over at HP Tuners. I've ran across several of his posts in my research.

Edit:
Jackpot: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f181/using-hp-tuners-436953/

1 - 20 of 61 Posts