Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in my car today and RKE Battery Warning was showing on the EVIC. Did a system check and it said the battery in my key was weak. The car is a 2013 SXT with sport package. The car is 2 months old and has 2800 miles. Now it didn't do it again when I left to come home, but I was just curious if this was a thing. I tried to search it but didn't find anything mentioning this specifically.

·
Super Moderator
13,673 Posts
Just replace your key fob battery.

The battery in the key fob is a Panasonic CR2032. I went to Walgreen's and purchased a set of two Energizer batteries for $6.99.

The replacement steps are very easy (don't go to the dealer):

1. Remove the valet key by pushing on the slide and pulling it straight out.
2. Using a thin-bladed screwdriver or a knife edge, unsnap the key fob by
gently prying around all of the edges.
3. One the key fob splits apart, simply pull out the old battery and insert the
new one. (Don't worry, unlike some watches, there are no loose parts
inside).
4. Handle the new battery around the edges and push it into place using
your thumb and index finger (Tip- Use a small piece of paper towel to
avoid getting any hand oil on the new battery and angle the battery in
towards the silver retaining clips).
5. Align the two halves of the key fob and snap them together.
6. Reinsert your valet key.
7. Test your locks to insure that they are working.

You are done (less than 5 minutes)!

·
Super Moderator
15,019 Posts
The thing with the '11 - present models is not keep the fob any closer than 12'-15' near the car when not in use. [some owners mention hanging fob in garage near the car, for example].

The fob and the car will be in constant communication if left in the car or near each other (function of the Keyless Enter & Go system). This in turn will deplete the fob battery more quickly.

And sometimes one battery to the next may vary - they're easy to replace and cheap...so if you start getting the message, change the fob's battery.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
The thing with the '11 - present models is not keep the fob any closer than 12'-15' near the car when not in use. [some owners mention hanging fob in garage near the car, for example].

The fob and the car will be in constant communication if left in the car or near each other (function of the Keyless Enter & Go system). This in turn will deplete the fob battery more quickly.

And sometimes one battery to the next may vary - they're easy to replace and cheap...so if you start getting the message, change the fob's battery.
Thanks for that tip, Hal! That's perfectly logical and it had never entered my mind. It's not a problem for me since my garage is further away than that but it sure is good to know.

By the way.... I buy batteries on ebay for ridiculously low prices. Search for 'em.
I usually buy them like 20 or more in a batch.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That makes sense and it's definitely a concern for security reasons if nothing else. It's crossed my mind. Right now my keys are on my dresser and the car is in my driveway. It's probably 25 feet.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Unless already said...just be careful to not let it go dead..... if it does... the car will not detect it and will not start....leaving you stranded...maybe when you most need it....I was one start away from the same situation a couple days ago......best to keep a spare batteries in the glove box

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless already said...just be careful to not let it go dead..... if it does... the car will not detect it and will not start....leaving you stranded...maybe when you most need it....I was one start away from the same situation a couple days ago......best to keep a spare batteries in the glove box

Well that's reassuring, lol. Seriously man, thanks for the advice. Looks like this is a thing.

·
Registered
372 Posts

Ummm, can't you just let yourself in with the Valet key in the fob, pop out your start button, then insert the square fob end and use it as a regular key?
Cheers, Lee S.

·
Super Moderator
15,019 Posts
Ummm, can't you just let yourself in with the Valet key in the fob, pop out your start button, then insert the square fob end and use it as a regular key?
Cheers, Lee S.
You're correct the key will power up by induction from the ignition port, so you don't get stranded as there's a backup provision.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Cheers, Lee S.
Don't I feel like a shmuck.... Lol....that's something my wife would come up with...double duh..... Thanks for reminding me of my blondness.....lol.... :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
^ ^ ^ Thanks for that! However if I'm replacing a battery every 2 months I'm gonna be pretty pissed. Kinda hard to trust the key.
Check the actual build date on your car, it may be a lot more than 2 months old.

I just replace the batteries in all our fobs once a year and it has eliminated a lot of flaky problems. Use fresh name brand batteries, not brand X from the bargain dollar store.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hal - What do you think of your Eibach Sport suspension? Did you do any mods to it regarding control arm or rear bushings?

·
Super Moderator
15,019 Posts
Hal - What do you think of your Eibach Sport suspension? Did you do any mods to it regarding control arm or rear bushings?
I'm very happy with it - I didn't need any camber bushings or new upper control arms - my specs landed in range with the '11 models (those have negative camber, whereas the '08-'10 had little at all with the OEM setup).

Plus, getting rid of that doofy 4x4 tire/fender gap. Doesn't look slammed, but rather the way it should have been to start with.

I had always thought about firmer shocks after I did the sway bars back in '08, and decided to change the springs since most of the work on the front shock/strut involved r & r of the front springs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts