Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about tracking my 2017 T/A 392. What's a good track day pad? I have a 2012 Boss 302 Laguna that I track & use Hawk HP+ pads but I don't think they make those ones for the Challenger. Any good recommendations?

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Bondurant uses PowerStop Track Day pads.

PST-1405 front, PST-1053 rear

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm running Hawk DTC-60s this year. I swap them in when I swap to my track wheels/tires in the pits. I'm also running Castrol SRF fluid this year. I really like this setup so far! Previously I used a different DOT-4 fluid with the stock brembo pads. That actually worked pretty well for a while, but once I got fast enough it would overheat on hot days.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I tried the Powerstop Z26's and they were terrible on the track. Have heard good things about the Track Day pads though. Next went with Hawk SP and really like them but my fronts squeal like a banshee which is driving me nuts. My latest attempt will be Akebono's so we'll see.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going to try out the Power Stop track day pads but apparently every single place I tried online are out of stock of the PST-1405 for the fronts. Figures lol

·
Registered
263 Posts
The stock Brembo pads rock for long tracks or autocross (not sure if you have Brembos). Z26 suck and fade in a few minutes. The Track Day pads are supposed to be great, but the break in procedure is not easy. It's ten 60 to 10 aggressive stops, then ten 80 to 10 stops. So mine are still sitting on the shelf. You might be able to get them broke-in already.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok...so does anyone know if anyone has a set of the Power Stop Track Day pads PST-1405 available?? I even called Power Stop themselves & they're out of stock until the end of June! Anyone anywhere??

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,366 Posts
I tried the Powerstop Z26's and they were terrible on the track. Have heard good things about the Track Day pads though. Next went with Hawk SP and really like them but my fronts squeal like a banshee which is driving me nuts. My latest attempt will be Akebono's so we'll see.
When I spoke to Powerstop on the phone, one of their engineers answered a bunch of questions for me about the composition of their pads. One of the things he told me was that the Z26 and the Z23 had the same exact composition. As we all know, the Z23 is made for street applications with the focus on less wear on the disks and eliminating the dust problem. He told me these pads are not formulated for the track or aggressive braking.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The stock Brembo pads rock for long tracks or autocross (not sure if you have Brembos). Z26 suck and fade in a few minutes. The Track Day pads are supposed to be great, but the break in procedure is not easy. It's ten 60 to 10 aggressive stops, then ten 80 to 10 stops. So mine are still sitting on the shelf. You might be able to get them broke-in already.
I respectfully disagree with you on stock pads for autocross....throw a set of carbotechs on and you'll see what I mean. :)

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,681 Posts
Ok...so does anyone know if anyone has a set of the Power Stop Track Day pads PST-1405 available?? I even called Power Stop themselves & they're out of stock until the end of June! Anyone anywhere??
Of our vendors

CARiD, High Horse Performance, a quick Google of Power Stop Track Day pads PST-1405 found several places

A Guy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of our vendors

CARiD, High Horse Performance, a quick Google of Power Stop Track Day pads PST-1405 found several places

A Guy
I had already called them & they're out of stock as well until the end of June. Thanks though.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Finding the Akebono for 6 piston Brembo's was a bust for me. Ordered 3 times from 3 different suppliers and all were the wrong pads. Throwing my hands up and trying a lesser known company. Did some research on Disk Brakes Australia (DBA) and am impressed with what they have to offer. I decided to order their DBA500 front pads along with new T3 rotor rings for my 2 piece rotors. Their rotors are supposed to run 40% cooler than others so am looking forward the the 2018 track day season and see how they work.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,681 Posts
I had already called them & they're out of stock as well until the end of June. Thanks though.
Ahh, apologize, they all showed them as in stock :(

A Guy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Same here. Tried to track the power stop Z26's. Horrible! Rotors cracked. No bite from pads! I'd heard Bondurant runs power stop on their Hellcats. I won't run them again. Ran Hawk pads last weekend, vast improvement, and better thant the EBC blue pads I'd run before.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Same here. Tried to track the power stop Z26's. Horrible! Rotors cracked. No bite from pads! I'd heard Bondurant runs power stop on their Hellcats. I won't run them again. Ran Hawk pads last weekend, vast improvement, and better thant the EBC blue pads I'd run before.
I ran Carbotech at NCM last year and had no problems. Great stopping power.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
There is a sustantial difference between the 4 piston Brembo OEM pads, and the 6 piston Brembo OEM pads. I upgraded to 6 piston fronts on my Scat Pack, I have only one track day at Gimli on them so far but they were perfect. Not even a hint of fade. I'll put them to the test more this season, but so far I haven't had a need to put anything else on. Granted, I am still on Pirelli P Zeros, not a serious track tire.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Hawk makes great race pads for our use. The DTC-60's work. I have used the DTC-70's for years along with having the brake lines full of Castrol SRF. I change my rotors completely out also for track days and take advantage of decreased unsprung weight that Demon Performance Rotors provide plus also making the rear rotors two piece. Doing that trick also eliminates the PIA of bedding your race pads and your street pads on the same set of rotors with a pad change, since the race rotors stay READY and the street rotors don't suffer the heat that goes along with track use for our very heavy beasts.

Do not attempt this use the Powerstop Z23 or Z26 for any type of even autoX, let alone a track. They are simply not built for it! Difference between the two is the Z26 has a steel back and the Z23's don't. FYI I do use the Z26's for my street use against the OE rotors. It is beautiful, no dust and little or no rotor wear. Also the grab is light on the Powerstops, which personally I like for the street. Nothing like the transformation the car undergoes after changing to the DP rotors and Hawk Pads to pure beast mode. I would hate that grab on the street. The no dust on the street is important to me because my street wheels are show chrome.

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Red Eye Widebody
175 Posts
DGatzby,

That was a great rundown on upgrading our cars for taking them on the track in the other thread. In this thread you say you swap out your rotors between track and street events. How hard is that to do? If you swap brake pads as you do at the same time is there an order to do that? I'm just not familiar, but I do have a lift and jack that could handle doing it.

Also, can you clarify which Hawk pad model your are recommending? You mention "DTC-60's work. I have used the DTC-70's for years". Is there a thread here on how to replace brake fluid, or a video you can recommend on how to DIY?

Thanks!

Best,

Finface

1 - 20 of 32 Posts