Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
DGatzby,

That was a great rundown on upgrading our cars for taking them on the track in the other thread. In this thread you say you swap out your rotors between track and street events. How hard is that to do? If you swap brake pads as you do at the same time is there an order to do that? I'm just not familiar, but I do have a lift and jack that could handle doing it.

Also, can you clarify which Hawk pad model your are recommending? You mention "DTC-60's work. I have used the DTC-70's for years". Is there a thread here on how to replace brake fluid, or a video you can recommend on how to DIY?

Thanks!

Best,

Finface
Thank you. I have paid dearly to learn how to upgrade the suspension. This is even the second HC!

It really is not that hard to change the rotors. Just be careful not to nick anything and to have a good bungy or two ready to temporally hold the calipers. You need to remove the pads to remove the calipers. So the change over to other pads is part of the labor anyway. Once the bolts are removed the calipers come away, the rotors are then free to remove, and replace. I actually think the rears are more difficult because if you upgrade to some trailing arms, the arm/bolt on the wheel hub may be in the way of the bottom rear caliper bolt.

Good thing is especially after race days the calipers can be completely cleaned, taking them off the rotors which is major important! Plus putting it into beast mode before races lets me really look and feel everything and make sure it is okay to go myself.

Hawk has a DTC line. It is comparable with a couple of other brands. For the pads don’t skimp, you need to pay to play, our cars are heavy and lots of heat is generated in the brakes. I use DTC-70’s.

On the fluid, I have purchased it and just taken it to a professional and let them change and/or bleed them. That is just me, it is not that hard, but to me it is a PIA and I want it done right. One less worry, I have forgot or screwed something up.

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Red Eye Widebody
167 Posts
Thanks for the additional information. I'm pasting your advice (as I have with other posters) into a history of maintenance/modification document for reference. It's kind of like a collage, this gleaning of recommendations from experienced Challenger drivers, and the picture is becoming clearer. I trust owners more than people who want to sell me stuff.

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Red Eye Widebody
167 Posts
Gatzby (and anyone else who might know - so many sharp owners here),

Please allow me to pick your brain(s) further! Learning from your own mistake is smart. Learning from the mistakes of others is really smart!

Ever put 315 tires - say the ExtremeContact DW 315/30x20 summer tires or another premium summer tire the same size - on the OE Devil's Rim 11" wheels? I read here that 315's are the widest tires that will fit on the 11" wheels, but no one has commented I know of who says if you put them all around on a stock suspension they are an improvement - and don't rub inside the front fenders.

Would there be a more optimized wider rim, but still 20 inch wheel, for 315 tires? Is wider, in comparable quality wheels and tires, always better on the track? I also read here some folks have put 325's on wider rims in the rears. The ZL-1 and SS model Camaros come with staggered tire widths. Dodge didn't do that with our Challengers, but is there any practical reason not to try it on a wide body car?

I ask these questions because posters throw around terms like camber and toe-in when talking about changing wheels and tires.

I wondering if, along with your other suggestions to upgrade the curvy track handling of the wide body Hellcat (2019 wide body Red Eye specific all the better), you have a specific wheel size with tire size recommendation. And if so, what about the change would I need to know? I'm not seeking to optimize for drag racing (test and tune was fun though), but rather to keep it reasonably street comfortable for Sunday driving in good, above 40 degree F weather while bettering the HPDE handling on dedicated tracks.

Thanks again in advance!

Best,

Dirk

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Gatzby (and anyone else who might know - so many sharp owners here),

Please allow me to pick your brain(s) further! Learning from your own mistake is smart. Learning from the mistakes of others is really smart!

Ever put 315 tires - say the ExtremeContact DW 315/30x20 summer tires or another premium summer tire the same size - on the OE Devil's Rim 11" wheels? I read here that 315's are the widest tires that will fit on the 11" wheels, but no one has commented I know of who says if you put them all around on a stock suspension they are an improvement - and don't rub inside the front fenders.

Would there be a more optimized wider rim, but still 20 inch wheel, for 315 tires? Is wider, in comparable quality wheels and tires, always better on the track? I also read here some folks have put 325's on wider rims in the rears. The ZL-1 and SS model Camaros come with staggered tire widths. Dodge didn't do that with our Challengers, but is there any practical reason not to try it on a wide body car?

I ask these questions because posters throw around terms like camber and toe-in when talking about changing wheels and tires.

I wondering if, along with your other suggestions to upgrade the curvy track handling of the wide body Hellcat (2019 wide body Red Eye specific all the better), you have a specific wheel size with tire size recommendation. And if so, what about the change would I need to know? I'm not seeking to optimize for drag racing (test and tune was fun though), but rather to keep it reasonably street comfortable for Sunday driving in good, above 40 degree F weather while bettering the HPDE handling on dedicated tracks.

Thanks again in advance!

Best,

Dirk
Sent you some info.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts