Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo... anybody else notice when you drive your Challenger PRETTY much anywhere if there is even the SLIGHTEST amount of road debris it sounds like your car is being BOMBARDED with stones and pellets and crud that makes a God-awfully loud TING, TANG, PING, PANG, TINK sound under your car!???

It surprises me how loud this stuff sounds, like its hitting bare metal or something. Did Dodge do NOTHING to insulate from that noise or soften the blow of that debris hitting the under-side of the car?

I don't imagine there is much I can do about it right?

I'm not even talking about gravel roads either, REGULAR streets still make a lot of noise as corruption is thrown about under my car!

Makes me CRINGE it does!

:scratchhead: :disgust:

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
hell ya! I HATE IT!!!!!

Especially out here after it rains, people with dirt driveways leave a small rock pit in the road. then its ting ting ping dent thud ping....

Fricken drives me insane. im preying that the hits are only to the wheel wells but i dont know for sure

·
Registered
406 Posts
It is that excessive noise that convinced me to buy the "mud flaps" from the other thread because i just imagine all that junk being tossed behind those quick spinning wheels!!! hoping to install them this weekend.
but this is by far the most i have noticed it on any car i have owned.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't think the sound is any louder than any other car i've owned and i have a gravel drive way. I could be numb to it now tho who knows. As for doing something about it?? I don't think theres much you can do about insulating the bottom.. I mean if you really wanted too I'm sure you could put a spray in liner like i have in the back of my truck on the undercarriage i'm sure that will help with the TING, TANG, PING, PANG, TINK sound ha.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
i put the mudflaps on mine last year and i still have the noise. its either the wheel wells otr the undercarriage or worse- the side of the car.

I do admit that there are a bunch of tiny rock chips along the bottom foot of the door. I hope they are still happening since i installed the flaps

·
Registered
298 Posts
I HATE IT!!!!! and I thought it was just me. lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used to own a 1998 Grand Prix GTP Daytona Edition and twice I got front end damage from "road alligators" (thrown truck tire treads in road). First one took out an entire front quarter panel and hood. About 6 months later after repair, another one took out the front spoiler. The first one I had to claim on my insurance but luckily the second one, the truck driver had pulled over and I was able to get company information which paid for the repair. That happened back in 2000/01. Since then, I am constantly on the lookout for that kind of debris, especially on interstates.

Road Alligators are probably the most single dangerous debris we can come across in the middle of the highways. What gets me is I cannot count how many times I've seen highway patrols just drive past them and don't attempt to get them out of the road.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to own a 1998 Grand Prix GTP Daytona Edition and twice I got front end damage from "road alligators" (thrown truck tire treads in road). First one took out an entire front quarter panel and hood. About 6 months later after repair, another one took out the front spoiler. The first one I had to claim on my insurance but luckily the second one, the truck driver had pulled over and I was able to get company information which paid for the repair. That happened back in 2000/01. Since then, I am constantly on the lookout for that kind of debris, especially on interstates.

Road Alligators are probably the most single dangerous debris we can come across in the middle of the highways. What gets me is I cannot count how many times I've seen highway patrols just drive past them and don't attempt to get them out of the road.
I was driving to work yesterday and it was pretty dense traffic; all of a sudden in the middle of the HIGHWAY I see a FREAKIN' METAL LADDER!!!

It was out of my lane (barely) so I didn't think much of it, but then some idiot HIT THE DAMN THING!!! It came SPIRALING RIGHT AT ME and settled in the centre of my lane right in front of me!

I was going 120km/h and had just fractions of a second to respond, I was able to swerve the Challenger off the road and swing around the ladder by using the paved shoulder JUST IN TIME to see the poor bugger behind me CREAM right into it!!!

I thanked my lucky stars that day I drive a HP monster that, all things considered, out-handles most cars on the road today! I have the SRT suspension to thank for getting me out of this potentially DISASTEROUS situation! :banana:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm always on the look out for road debris. I accidentally hit a very small "road alligator" years ago - blew a tire as a result. Was behind a stake bed truck in a 30 mph zone, the guy had wood pallets stacked above the bed guards - yep, one comes flying off right at me - swerved and missed it. Rocks galore on the interstates just waiting for some one to run over and spin them into your windshield (replaced one on my wife's car and an SUV I used to own). Its tough enough avoiding the idiots who drive horribly (yakking on the cell phone and not paying attention, or worse - texting; not looking at all while cranking the wheel over into the next lane of oncoming traffic, etc). I'm always watching both the road for debris or drivers who can't drive.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Mine was undercoated a week after I got it. It was part of the deal I made with the dealership when I bought it.
That and all my parts from there will be at cost.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
HAHA i just picked up my first 2013 RT And yes i hear it too ! glad i found this post make me feel better In my jeep you can't hear a thing and this is my first non jeep in 20 years so it was shocking to me to hear all the racket

I hope to be over the new car thing soon so i can enjoy the ride i even left the gym early as i didn't want the car
left in the parking lot all alone lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts