Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an SXT with these tires. They look fairly new. I notice some noise at certain lower speeds. They are properly inflated at 32psi. The car has 51K miles on it - trying to determine if the noise is from the tires or if I might have a bad wheel bearing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Just bought an SXT with these tires. They look fairly new. I notice some noise at certain lower speeds. They are properly inflated at 32psi. The car has 51K miles on it - trying to determine if the noise is from the tires or if I might have a bad wheel bearing.

Thanks.
One of my cars had noisy tires. Noisy because they were quite worn. I had them replaced. Shop manager then told me he believed he was hearing a wheel bearing. I can't recall now if I suspected this or not. Long story short I test drove the car and told him which wheel I thought the noise was coming from. My WAG happened to agree with the shop manager's and I had him replace that wheel bearing and the noise was gone.

Have to say a bad wheel bearing can be noisy at lower speeds while my experience is noise from tires occurs at higher speeds.

You might be able to determine if a wheel bearing is bad by at some reasonable speed weaving and somewhere "safe" the car and listening for any change in the noise. Often side loads on a bad wheel bearing affect the noise.

In some cases one can lift the car up by its body/chassis lift points and grab each tire and try to wiggle is in a vertical axis and a horizontal axis. Any play is a sign of a bad bearing. There are of course 4 wheel bearings and likely there is only one bad bearing so you have 3 good bearings and wheel wiggling to go by to determine which wheel -- if any -- has any excessive wheel bearing play.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,766 Posts
Read the reviews on BFG site

Search for noisy on that page to make it easy...

A Guy

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thanks A Guy.

Rockster, new Powerstop Z23 brakes going on this weekend. I'll get to the bottom of it.

FYI, the noise seems worse with the tires cold in the early morning . When they warm up it seems less.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Wow thanks A Guy.

Rockster, new Powerstop Z23 brakes going on this weekend. I'll get to the bottom of it.

FYI, the noise seems worse with the tires cold in the early morning . When they warm up it seems less.
Tires, especially "high performance" tires noisier when cold than when warm is normal based on my experience.

High performance tires are also more prone to manifesting a bit of out of balance when starting out cold the cause is the tires when warm and as they cool down take a set. A bit of driving will have this gone in nearly no time but to owners who may be experiencing high performance tires for the first time this may cause some concern. And one more to add to the pile. A high performance tire can go out of balance as it wears. The larger tire has much more tread surface to wear and the tread rubber composition is not as uniform as one might expect at least in terms of weight. It will have lighter and heavier areas. As these heavier areas wear away the tire balance can be affected. In some cases when it came time to replace the rear tires after 20K miles while the front tires still had plenty of tread left they were worn enough the balance could be affected. So as SOP I had the tech after dealing with replacing the rear tires rebalance the front tires.

Have to mention it was as close to getting a new car when I had all 4 tires replaced on one of my Porsche cars. The change in noise, essentially the elimination of noise arising from the worn tires, was striking.

Even with my Hellcat. At one point I was convinced the diff was going bad. But a driver side rear tire puncture at around 13K miles required I replace both rear tires. Same tires as the car came with and inflated to the same recommended cold pressure (32psi), too.

The "diff" noise was gone. The noise proved to be all tire, rear tire, noise. Might also mention the rear tires showed no signs of any abnormal wear so I did not suspect them of being the source of the noise. And they were not worn. When I had the car in for service not too long before the puncture the tires were all good and had the same amount of tread left.

When you lift the car to do the brakes is the time to check for wheel bearing play. My SOP is to before lifting the car to break the wheel lugs loose so once the car is in the air I can remove the lugs without having to fight to keep the tire from turning.

But you need to add a step -- which you probably are already aware of -- and that is lift the car via the proper lifting points of the body/chassis so you can have the wheels/tires unloaded. Then you can give each wheel a wiggle test looking for one with any wiggle. (Afterwards you'll have to lower the car then break the wheel lugs loose.)

Have to mention that the absence of wiggle is not a guarantee the bearings are all good. In the case of my car I mentioned in a previous post the shop manager was aware of the wiggle test and the results were inconclusive. But there proved to be a bad wheel bearing nonetheless. The bearing had deteriorated to the point it was noisy but it had not yet developed any real play.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
433 Posts
@DonP Yes, the BF comp 2's are known to be noisy.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,504 Posts
I run those but I’ve never noticed any “noise” other than usual sounds.... I could be they are and I don’t notice it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I will be doing the brakes today and checking the hubs.

My other three Challengers have the OEM Goodyears so I'm used to the (lack of) noise from those. This is my first used Challenger (replacing my daily driver) so I'm a little paranoid. I know it hasn't been taken care of like my other Challengers which are babied.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts