Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Picked up an 08 SRT8 couple weeks back....

Have any of you tried to insulate the road noise from the wheel wells into the cabin? I guess they wanted it as light as they could but that's going to get old...

Experiences?

Ideas?

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
What tires did it come with? Some tires are noisy.

Nevermind, just saw your other post. According to tire rack the goodyears are slightly noisier that the firestones FWIW.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Here I always thought road noise was the excuse we used to get a louder muffler....I have to just say this is the first post I have read where the OP wanted to quite the car. Good for you on being an Original thinker.

Ron

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SRT8
106 Posts
I have a 2010SRT with BF Goodrich Sport Comp II. No road noise at all to speak of. At about 180-190 my there is a sudden spike in wind noise until you crest over 200, then it’s quiet(er) again. For all vehicle I’ve ever owned, any road noise was always fixed by changing tires.
May I humbly suggest that you expeditiously apply throttle until you need to rotate then replace them? <wink>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had to chuckle Ron, I only want to have the sound of power when I get in the throttle... but its a bit loud with muffler blanks and just the resonators... want quiet like the Mercedes E55 AMG (cosmetically tired 210K mile winterbeater that actually has better numbers than the challenger). Nice throb and sound when in it... and goes like a bat out of .... nice throb from the 350hp 5.5L and no road noise! . The challenger is terrible... hear every little spec of sand hit the fender liner... am really surprised... it was a 42k car new.

Dave

·
Registered
397 Posts
Dave,

Me too. I kept telling my wife I am getting a different exhaust because I want just a bit more noise. However anything that gives "just a bit more" costs way more than just a bit. Anything louder at cruising speed and im not really interested myself. I spend too much time on the highway for it to be noisy. I totally understand the sand/pebble comment too though. Going around a corner and hear that ding ding ding had made me jump a few times.

Ron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seriously, none of you have done anything to quiet the cabin? I'm surprised. I'll be doing something...

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
you could pull the trunk liner trim and access a lot of the rear wheel wells to apply self adhesive deader material.

From the seat back area, the trim can be pulled to access the side of the wheel well towards the passenger compartment. Another area would be to apply more to the trunk floor and then pull up rear seat bench and apply more in that area - it would take out a lot of noise.

For the front wheel wells, you'd have to remove the seats, peel back carpet and apply material to the wheel wells in the footwell area.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
Seriously, none of you have done anything to quiet the cabin? I'm surprised. I'll be doing something...
Actually no, I drive with the windows down even in the hot summer just so I can hear the roar of the engine. Although I do know what you mean about hearing pebbles hit the fender wells...especially after I use the line locks and the tires get so sticky that they lift and throw every darn pebble at them. Only time the windows are up are when the wife and kids are in the car. My wife was surprised when we used the challenger for a road trip saying she never expected the interior to be so quiet. BTW, when I installed the upgraded pump for my SC I noticed the fuel tank seal/cover was not snapped in place. After attaching it correctly I could swear the car was a little quieter...that and I notice odors from the road when away (before I did the CDV delete I would always get a strong smell of burnt clutch while driving hard and it diminished).

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,761 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts