Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an SRT and might stepping up to the Hellcat. Either way, I need some advice on Road racing schools so I can become a better driver and learn how to actually use more of the performance that is built into these cars(suspension, brakes) I currently live in AZ but would not mind traveling for a good 2 day course. Any ideas!

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
get a membership with NASA and do all HPDE 1 events with an instructor and run autocross events to learn quick response and steering dynamics coupled with throttle/brake work;

otherwise, there is the Bondurant school (Car Enthusiast Program), the Skip Barber days and these ones while sometimes costly will give you serious take aways

i chose the NASA way and decided to spend the $$$ in track week ends and mods;

i have the skip barber racing bible ("Going Faster" Mastering the art of Race Driving) with me at all times and read it through and through because the pointers in there are invaluable and once you apply them on the track you get to see for yourself the gaps and where you need to be;

instructors are all different; some get you in trail braking right away, others don't, some double clutch others don't; so it is good to have different instructors and see what they have to say, ask them questions while you are on the track;

be careful, you may get hooked and never go back to the driver you once were

Good Luck n' have fun

ODP

·
Registered
84 Posts
You live close to perhaps the best school in the world, the Bondurant school near Phoenix. It's expensive but it has several class options. Google "Bondurant" and you'll find it.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
If you want to go to a real school you can't go wrong with bondurant, and it is near you. If you want to get seat time and develop your skills and learn your car I would recommend going to some hpde events, hooked on driving, chin racing, nasa, as well as many porsche clubs offer hpde events. You typically get an instructor to ride wth you in your car as a beginner and can work your way up as you improve. Scca and nasa also offer events on road courses as well a autocross.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Not sure if Bondurant school lets you use your own car. Bondurant is great education on all levels, but fairly expensive.

I second the NASA endorsement. I have instructed countless students with several groups/clubs and raced wheel-to-wheel in the Texas region. Not only do you get to go out with a professional instructor, but you get to do it in your own ride. Worth it and it's fairly inexpensive for the weekend.

Reactions: 2011Cuda

·
Banned
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK guys, thanks a bunch. I did know about Bondurant and looked it up today. I found the $1200 class and they do use Camaros, No big deal though. Its more about the fundamentals at this point.

Also researched NASA and the have a group in AZ, right down the road from me, so it looks like once I get back from Afghan, Im going to check them out for sure.

Thanks again everybody, looks like I am on my way to learning how to actually use the SRT to it "fuller" potential!

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
stay safe, enjoy your drives, best wishes from the Continental US

·
Registered
966 Posts
I've observed bondurant sessions at firebird before, and I believe they also have corvettes as well.

IIRC you can even use your own car, I saw a couple guys driving random cars like R8's and GT-Rs

·
Registered
99 Posts
Proautosports also does hpde in Arizona in fact i am taking my 392 to the wildborse pass west track this Saturday.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker
137 Posts
Not sure if Bondurant school lets you use your own car. Bondurant is great education on all levels, but fairly expensive.

I second the NASA endorsement. I have instructed countless students with several groups/clubs and raced wheel-to-wheel in the Texas region. Not only do you get to go out with a professional instructor, but you get to do it in your own ride. Worth it and it's fairly inexpensive for the weekend.
Where are you located in Texas? Are you still doing instruction?

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Play Grand Turismo on PS3. Very realistic and you will learn the basics. IMO the most important is to learn your race lines. A lot of great advice here. And yes, it's extremely addictive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
indeed GT is "the" game to learn;

race lines are everything and allow for avoiding early apexing which can translate in not so much of a good time when tracking out....lol

Bondurant is expensive...damn! GO NASA!

Reactions: wasp392

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've taken my Challenger to a few HPDE sessions here in VA. My take on it is the instructors, although covering safety, mainly tell you how to GO FASTER!..... To get the most out of your car and the track. IMO, it really doesn't make much sense to own a great, powerful, well handling car like ours and just drive it on the street....never experiencing what it can do. Go for it! Keep us posted.

Reactions: SRT8U

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
hijacking that thread a bit,.....

speaking of lines, i bought some nice yellow electrical tape and put it right onto my steering wheel at the noon position;

it does help a great deal to line up that piece of tape with the trajectory u want to take;

always thought it was an overkill but tried it tonight and took the long carousel i know at 90 mph red lining in 3rd gear from my usual 80mph;

will GoPro that stuff and share on a different thread

ODP

Steering part Steering wheel Auto part Wheel Spoke

Reactions: RoostKing

·
Registered
368 Posts
Where are you located in Texas? Are you still doing instruction?
Conroe - too bad TWS will be a new housing development next year. Lots of history at that track.

I stopped racing a few years go and have frequented the tracks less and less these days since selling my '05 Mustang GT.

However, I do hang out with different groups from time to time (they even let me take their race cars out for a few laps to get my "fix")

Lemme know if you are interested and can get ya hooked up.

BTW.. as mentioned in this thread - HPDE's are an awesome way to get hooked turning the wheel from left to right and not just at static 12 o'clock. :icon_aetsch:

Reactions: RoostKing

·
Banned
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea Im going to be checking out the HPDE when I get home for sure. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I went through the entire HPDE ranks with NASA in an SRT8 Charger, before buying a track-only mustang to W2W race. These cars are a blast but that Hellcat will NOT teach a lot to a rookie driver. I'm not saying don't do it, but horsepower covers up bad driving. Actually, the best car to learn to "track" would be a Miata....just bring earplugs so you don't have to listen that that engine on heroin under the hood.

NASA has been a great organization and I regularly communicate with some of my old instructors and vacation with people I met at the track. Even though your showing up with a fast car (the SRT or the Hellcat), you aren't fast. Listen and learn. So many people show up thinking they know most of what they need to know (myself included), and you have no idea. They already know HOW to teach you at the pace YOU can use the information.

FYI: After completing HPDE and getting my competition license in 2013, I now race a mustang in "CMC" and am the current points leader for my region.

·
Banned
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went through the entire HPDE ranks with NASA in an SRT8 Charger, before buying a track-only mustang to W2W race. These cars are a blast but that Hellcat will NOT teach a lot to a rookie driver. I'm not saying don't do it, but horsepower covers up bad driving. Actually, the best car to learn to "track" would be a Miata....just bring earplugs so you don't have to listen that that engine on heroin under the hood.

NASA has been a great organization and I regularly communicate with some of my old instructors and vacation with people I met at the track. Even though your showing up with a fast car (the SRT or the Hellcat), you aren't fast. Listen and learn. So many people show up thinking they know most of what they need to know (myself included), and you have no idea. They already know HOW to teach you at the pace YOU can use the information.

FYI: After completing HPDE and getting my competition license in 2013, I now race a mustang in "CMC" and am the current points leader for my region.

Oh cool, great advice. My real goal is simply to be a better driver and learn how to drive my car better. I have no problem listening to the pros for sure. I have looked into and started to look at some lower level cars to maybe explore racing when I get home though! :scatter:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts