Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these even exist anymore? I have been wanting to do one for quite some time, each clue along the way will lead you to the finish line. Personally I think this sounds like allot of fun.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Do these even exist anymore? I have been wanting to do one for quite some time, each clue along the way will lead you to the finish line. Personally I think this sounds like allot of fun.
We did a lot of them in the 70's. Car clubs back then either did a car show or a rally. Lots of fun. I still remember sending the girlfriend out of the car to go count the pickets in an 1/8 mile picket fence. 1, 2, 3, 500, LOL

But the liability became too much of a burden for car clubs and the rallies went by the way side. They basically turned into poker runs which don't take speed and timing into consideration like the old road rallies did.

This past March our club brought the road rally back for our members. Many had never heard of a road rally and all of them were excited about the event. It still ranks up there as one of our top events.

See: "The Ghost Run" - Calico Ghost Town Cruise and Road Rally

SCCA still holds timed road rallies. These are stricly based on time and precision mileage. To limit the liability, you will not be allowed to check into a check point if you arrive even one second earier than the calculated time of the route. You have have to let the clock catch up to you before being allowed to check in. For the novice road rally'er, these events can be very intimidating as the winners are often dead on with their timing.

You can find out more about SCCA Road Rallies here.

Glad to see others remember the road rallies of yesterday. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
we did "Lime" runs down at Texas A&M. Everyone left a parking lot at specific times. Ahead of everyone (first car) about 5 minutes ahead, was a pick-up truck with someone in the back that threw baggies filled with Lime dust after either going straight through an intersection, turning left, or turning right. They threw the lime bag about 200 yards "after" the intersection. If you saw the lime splatter on the roadway, you made the correct 'guess" at that intersection! When you got to the destination, you clocked in. the best elapsed time won. Of course you know what naturally happens when you guess wrong at a few intersections! You have to make up the time!!!!! About 5 or 6 got tickets every time we did these!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts