Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking these were the only 2 muscle cars where the 4 speed and hi performance engine came on a no option car all the rest the performance packages were options on the base packages

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
im thinking these were the only 2 muscle cars where the 4 speed and hi performance engine came on a no option car all the rest the performance packages were options on the base packages
I am not an expert... but didn't the Shelby Mustang come that way as well?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
a mustang Camaro or chevelle with no options would be a 6 cyl 3 speed
Yeah but the Roadrunner and Superbee were not models that were created as muscle cars. The were upgraded standard sedans from Plymouth and Dodge as well... i.e. Coronet, Belvedere, Satellite... I was just a B-body platform car. Plus, many Muscle cars came standard with a 4 speed manuel.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the 68 roadrunner was designed to sell to a targeted population at a certain price point and meet certain performance criteria for 2800 00 you got a big block 4 speed so how could it not be the purest muscle car of all

·
Registered
14,081 Posts
a mustang Camaro or chevelle with no options would be a 6 cyl 3 speed
Ok I see what you mean now, you mean no options at all. The COPO cars were strippers but you still needed to order the COPO. Being more familiar with GM, my top choice would be the 71 Trans Am. The base zero option T/A came standard with the 455HO, M22 4-speed and 3.55 posi and this was one strong running car. And I'm sure there were many GTOs and other Pontiacs from the 60's that would stack up pretty well too. Good thread!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Strike the road runner from that list. The base Road Runner option was a 383 and 3 speed manual, at least in 70, which is what I own. I've never seen one but there were almost 2,000 of them produced.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the original 68 roadrunner was 4 speed standard, 727 was an option 3 speed not avaible many of the original gtos were 3 speed as the 4 speed was optional the gto pkg was an option on the base lemans or tempest

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Ok I see what you mean now, you mean no options at all. The COPO cars were strippers but you still needed to order the COPO. Being more familiar with GM, my top choice would be the 71 Trans Am. The base zero option T/A came standard with the 455HO, M22 4-speed and 3.55 posi and this was one strong running car. And I'm sure there were many GTOs and other Pontiacs from the 60's that would stack up pretty well too. Good thread!
The blue '71 Trans Ams are one of the best looking Muscle Cars of all time!! They aren't exactly undervalued but they are under recognized! They were low and mean and had the most aggressive front clip of any Muscle Car from the early 70's.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
the original 68 roadrunner was 4 speed standard, 727 was an option 3 speed not avaible many of the original gtos were 3 speed as the 4 speed was optional the gto pkg was an option on the base lemans or tempest
GTO's were their own model from 65 through 72 (or thereabouts). They also came standard with a 4speed and optional with an automatic. And, they were doing it 3 yrs before the Roadrunner was introduced.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
GTO's were their own model from 65 through 72 (or thereabouts). They also came standard with a 4speed and optional with an automatic. And, they were doing it 3 yrs before the Roadrunner was introduced.
The GTO was an option package that you could add to the Tempest model. Also, the base transmission on the GTO was a 3 speed manual. 4 speeds and auto's were options.

I was going to say Olds 442, but that was also an option package that could be added to Cutlass models.

·
Registered
14,081 Posts
Yep, you are correct. Don't think any GM car had a 4-speed manual tranny as standard equipment in the 60's, not even the Corvette. Thought the 70 455 Goat had a 4-speed standard but nope, it was still a 3-speed.
The Trans Ams all did have 4-speeds except for 69, and I need to correct the 71 T/A info, it had a 3.42 axle.
The 3.55 was with the 12-bolt used 69-70 only, 71-up were 10-bolts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts