Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title states, my wife are about to journey to Colorado from California in my 16 RT. It's going to be a 20 hour drive each way minus stops. So here is the problem. I have an injured tail bone from when I was a kid, and my lower back and tail bone are thrashed from a 4-5 hour drive alone. Aside from the normal seat adjustments, does anyone have any tips on how to reduce the pressure. I can't put much under my butt as far as cushion since I'm 6'4 and my head is less than an inch from hitting the ceiling. Any help would be great. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,228 Posts
So as the title states, my wife are about to journey to Colorado from California in my 16 RT. It's going to be a 20 hour drive each way minus stops. So here is the problem. I have an injured tail bone from when I was a kid, and my lower back and tail bone are thrashed from a 4-5 hour drive alone. Aside from the normal seat adjustments, does anyone have any tips on how to reduce the pressure. I can't put much under my butt as far as cushion since I'm 6'4 and my head is less than an inch from hitting the ceiling. Any help would be great. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am 6' 8", and I put about 3500 miles a month on my Challenger driving back and forth to work each day (using combination of various DFW interstates, freeways, & surface roads between here and there), so I feel like I've got a good handle on staying comfortable in the Challenger driver's seat for extended driving. And I gotta say, the way I've found that best suits me is to move the seat all the way back and down as far as it will go. Then I bump it forward just a couple clicks, and then I lay the back of the seat down toward the back seat until it is almost touching the back seat's lower seat cushion.

That is as as comfortable for me while driving that car as any position I've tried in the previous 4 years of driving a Challenger. What is really good about that position for me when on long road trips is that I can put the cruise on and then fold my legs back Indian-style to give them a little stretch and change of scenery, but still be able to quickly hit the brake should something arise that requires my manual input.

Other than that I can't think of any seat position that would provide extreme comfort on long trips while maintaining your ability to re-engage the steering controls and brake/gas at a moments notice. I mean, you could probably get more comfortable than what I described, but I don't think it would leave you in a safe position should a deer run out in the road or someone come into your lane suddenly.

That's all I got, I hope something was of help...be sure to update this thread with any breakthroughs you might happen to discover on your own though. I'm always game to try a different way to relax while I'm spending my 2nd or 3rd hour of the day stuck in stop-and-go traffic :sleep:

·
Super Moderator
15,441 Posts
what about a soft roll of foam, place where the seat backrest meets the bottom cushion?

Would that provide some support on the tailbone w/o all the pressure of supporting your torso?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,121 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Get out of the car more often: much more often. Riding a motorcycle cross country taught me this. I also own a Yamaha FJR1300: great bike for long distance, but my but doesn't agree. What worked for me, after trying to take the advice of so many on the FJR forum, wasn't the special seat cushions and after market seats and etc. It was simple, free and effective: instead of driving my usual 200 miles between gas stops, I stop every hour on the hour for a small snack or bathroom break or just to wipe bugs off the windshield. Just getting up and walking around worked wonders for everything that hurt. Fine, it takes a few minutes longer to finish my trip. So now I leave a little early, and arrive feeling much better. Betcha this little strategy would work for you as well????

Gary

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm 6' 4", 275 lbs and the only thing that hurts me on long road trips is my right hip because of the way I have to angle my foot to press the gas pedal. If I can use cruise control and straighten my legs, I'm fine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have minor arthritis in my lower back and my leg can go numb if sat for too long. Did a journey recently from the Midwest to California and my favorite head pillow between me and the back of the seat helped a lot. Granted this was not in the challenger but It helped me a lot. Of course stretches and breaks between gas ups.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts