Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to drive my wife to a recent martial arts tournament in northern virginia this past weekend, so I filled up my 2010 6-speed (no mods), reset the trip odometer, and headed from our home in northern NJ down the turnpike/rt. 95. I averaged around 75mph the whole trip, with about 220 highway miles and 40 miles city. Plus, I did hole shots out of every toll booth and was not trying to get good mileage (i downshifted and did some aggressive passing here and there, rode in 5th gear at times). After 260 miles, i filled up the tank and calculated...my results?

27 mpg!

I'm impressed. I expected less because of the nature of my driving.

Gotta love that sixth gear!

Also, during the 520 mile round trip, i spotted just one other challenger (classic b5 blue), 8 camaros, and about 20 mustangs...

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
That's great millage almost as good as a mini-cooper with a whole lot more room and better ride... :bigthumb:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Your biggest problem is getting people to believe it.

I consistently average 26 to 27.5 when traveling between Red Bluff CA and Seattle WA. Finally took a photo with my Iphone as proof for the disbeliever.

Redbluffian

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I was averaging 25 driving from OK to CA. I also have a few mods as well.
Which particular mods are helping your MPG and, in your opinion, why?
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too have averaged around 25 mpg on a trip to Michigan and then to Northern NY--highway driving mostly. 73-75 MPH. 2010 DWB 6 speed with 3700 miles.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My EVIC tends to be quite optimistic on gas mileage whenever I clear/reset it at each fill up. I've checked it a number of times and always calculated the actual mileage lower than the car thought.

Always a good idea to check it yourself to know if your car's display is accurate or not.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I had to drive my wife to a recent martial arts tournament in northern virginia this past weekend, so I filled up my 2010 6-speed (no mods), reset the trip odometer, and headed from our home in northern NJ down the turnpike/rt. 95. I averaged around 75mph the whole trip, with about 220 highway miles and 40 miles city. Plus, I did hole shots out of every toll booth and was not trying to get good mileage (i downshifted and did some aggressive passing here and there, rode in 5th gear at times). After 260 miles, i filled up the tank and calculated...my results?

27 mpg!

I'm impressed. I expected less because of the nature of my driving.

Gotta love that sixth gear!

Also, during the 520 mile round trip, i spotted just one other challenger (classic b5 blue), 8 camaros, and about 20 mustangs...
Not sure what your gears are, I suspect they are the same as mine. 3.92. At any rate, my milage ranges from 18-22 non-road trip with foot in it all the time. I have heard of people getting 27 but I don't think mine (10 R/T six speed) will. Although I have never tested it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have an auto R/T, on a road trip from Texas to Florida last year it averaged 24mpg, I averaged 70-75 most of the trip... plus 130mph for 5 minutes at 4 am on empty Alabama stretch. :) And on paper the auto with MDS is supposed to get better mileage.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Manually calculating fuel mileage has some considerations that should be considered and adjusted for. Measurement of fuel via an automatic pump has some variables:
1. How much gas in in your tank when the pump shuts off? E.g., in a 15 gallon tank, does the pump shut off when there is 14.5 gallons or 14.6 gallons, or some other value?
2. What is the pumping error of the gas station pump? E.g., when it charges you for 1 gallon of gas did you receive 1.005 gallons of gas, or 1.011 gallons of gas, or some other volume?

There's is not much we can do about the second concern, but trust the pump rate calibration - they do get highly scutinized in that area.

On the first concern is another matter. One time you calculated that you had burned 14 gallon when you filled up, but you only burned 13.8 gallons. The next time, maybe you calculated burning 13.7 gallons and you burned 13.8 gallons. But the good news is that you are using the same tank so that the more time you fillup and calculate the fuel burned the less error there will be due to the "full tank pump shut off error".

So, for best results, increase the number of samples to reduce the impact of "full tank pump shut off error". For daily driving usage, this is a good plan, but for highway trips there will be only so many fillup opportunities before you make you desination.

Another measurement error area is the odometer. When your odometer shows that you have travelled 415.7 miles, exactly how many miles have you actually travelled?

These concerns are components of MSA - Measurement System Analysis

Of course there are a large number of variables that will affect fuel efficiency usage; some that you have some control and some of which you have little or no control.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts