Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few rock chips I have found on my hood. Luckily I found them before they started rusting (I check very regularly)

I have the Mopar authentic touch up paint pen for my color (brilliant black)

My question is, if I touch up that spot, will it prevent rust, or do I need to do something else?

Up until owning this car, I didn't really care about small chips lol!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Get some touch up paint before your chips start to rust if you do not you will have a bigger problem.Thats what I would do.And then save some money and then get it done wright.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Unless you are very good at applying and leveling touch up paint it will show up. If it is small chips, pin head size to maybe somewhat larger, try DR Colorchip system. Much better results than the dab and hope with regular touch up.

If you want to use the touchup paint, use a tiny brush, toothpick, etc which is smaller than the chip and do not get any paint outside of the chip, just fill the chip.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree that rock chips are a big PITA, but don't spend your time worrying about rust. Challenger hoods are aluminum. If you want to double check, get a magnet. I've used touch up on my GWE and I can't even come close to making the chips disappear.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Rust? Jeez u musta been bookin it for a rock chip to cut thru the primer too... Lol but what he said anyway, aluminum. Something i always wondered tho, why is the hood Al and the trunk isnt?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My commute sucks. That's where the chips come from.

I travel on the interstate and if a rock goes airborne in front of me, it's game over at 70mph

Thanks for the heads up on the hood. Didn't even think about that! I'm not as worried about it now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Rust? Jeez u musta been bookin it for a rock chip to cut thru the primer too... Lol but what he said anyway, aluminum. Something i always wondered tho, why is the hood Al and the trunk isnt?
Weight distribution F/R.

Reactions: Lcpl Wade

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Colorchip. My son got me this for b-day last year. WOW! awesome product...easy to use and your paint chips will disappear before your eyes.

Reactions: Tricki68
1 - 9 of 9 Posts