Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just picking up my 2014 RT about a month ago, approximately 950 miles on the vehicle at this point. I was traveling Wednesday when my check engine began chiming and flashing. I brought it back to my dealership and they said that there was a problem with the rocker arm and that they would be replacing it the next day. After replacing the rocker arm, they ran tests and determined that I was still losing compression on that cylinder and that because the rocker arm had shifted out of position it had bend one of the valves (couldn't tell me which valve), so now I've been told they are replacing the whole cylinder head. Obviously this is not normal for a motor with less than 1000 miles on it, should I be concerned about something happening with the other cylinders? Is a dealership generally capable of this type of repair or should I be shooting to get a new motor out of this? On a side note, the car is a lease, so after 3 yrs I will not have to worry about it.

Thanks for the help. :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Cylinder head swaps are not too hard to do, I was a tech for 13 years and did several. It's good they tested the engine after the initial repair. Let them repair it and then don't give it a second thought

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
727 Posts
Cylinder head swaps are too hard to do, I was a tech for 13 years and did several. It's good they tested the engine after the initial repair. Let them repair it and then don't give it a second thought

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Same problem with my SRT8 at 3000 miles, bent rocker shaft and fried engine management computer. I had other problems from the day of delivery which the dealer always fixed but when that happened I never drove it again, I bought another 2013 only in Hemi Orange which has been problem free. I ran into the new owner at a car show and he told me he has 10,000 miles on it and everything has been fine. If they fix it right you shouldn't have any problem.

·
Vendor
13,078 Posts
sincerely feel your pain, however 70% rule, not likely an engine will get replaced and to make it worst there is no assembly, even if the dealer got an authorization there is no long block available, short block only, which means the dealer assembles an engine

replacing a head isnt the end of the world, pretty common on the v6, we have seen a few broken rocker arms on newer Hemis, if the arm broke and jammed into the valve, its very possible that a valve is bent

if the piston is damage i would contact chrysler and non belligenrently raise a a stink, a good service manager working with his dm can usually assist in trading you out of the vehicle in those circumstance with very little difficulty

good luck

Luke

1 - 5 of 5 Posts