Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Well was under the car doing mud flaps and noticed the foam sticking down out of the rockets.

Wondering if it might be a idea to tear as much out and back fill the holes with a plug or even silicone or caulk?

I still have to get mine Ziebarted mostly for the extended rust protection

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi again,

So would it be suggested to seal it as thought about cutting the foam off flat with the panel, tape or paint it to seal it from wicking, or do these holes act like a drain?
Nose

I know hardly anyone will ever see it but it does not look very finished so to speak.

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I would leave it alone. If you absolutely must play with it, do not use silicone. Use an automotive seam sealer or anything from the hardware store that does not contain silicone.

A urethane based product is what you want.

That is not a drain and it is not really the problem area for rust. The entry point for corrosion is the attachment holes for the plastic rocker covers, you can't see these holes unless you take the rocker covers off.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I was thinking they either might absorb moister, or trap it on the inside of the rockers.

Should I try to remove the moldings and do something with those holes?

Just trying to mitigate any rot issues in the future as car will be a daily driver for spring thru fall and Michigan has lots of moisture year round.

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I really don't have a good answer. Keeping salt away from it is the best option.

The plastic rockers may or may not survive removal. They are listed as one time use by FCA but sometimes they survive, just be aware of that.

What you will find behind the plastic rocker cover is a row of rectangular holes and you will see the foam that completely fills the rocker.

Spraying some cavity wax in the holes may help but that will only get the the immediate area around the holes because of all the foam.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The rockers are filled with foam when the vehicle is assembled. Excess vents out those holes. I'd leave it alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts