Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.
I've been starting to get a rust infection on my passenger side rocker panel. And now I'm talking about the actual rocker panel that is part of the body and not the plastic rocker trim molding.

So the rocker started to rust and now when we inspected it more thoroughly we noticed that the entire panel is filled with foam. I assume for sound dampening properties.
The problem is that the foam have attracted moisture and rust is starting to come on the inside, and I would need to replace a larger portion of the rocker panel.

But the problem is that I can't seem to find anything anywhere. There are replacement rocker for the older Gen 1 challengers but not the Gen 3.

Does anyone know what the OEM partnumber are or where I might be able to order new rocker panels.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
Hey.
I've been starting to get a rust infection on my passenger side rocker panel. And now I'm talking about the actual rocker panel that is part of the body and not the plastic rocker trim molding.

So the rocker started to rust and now when we inspected it more thoroughly we noticed that the entire panel is filled with foam. I assume for sound dampening properties.
The problem is that the foam have attracted moisture and rust is starting to come on the inside, and I would need to replace a larger portion of the rocker panel.

But the problem is that I can't seem to find anything anywhere. There are replacement rocker for the older Gen 1 challengers but not the Gen 3.

Does anyone know what the OEM partnumber are or where I might be able to order new rocker panels.

Thanks
Hi j.torstensson, I do apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with rust. If you are not able to remedy this concern with the advice provided here, I kindly recommend connecting with your local Dodge dealer. If you are in need of any assistance with that process, our team is available via private message.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can't order a rocker. You need part #1 in this link. 2017 Dodge Challenger Body Side Aperture Rear Panel, Right 68043536AN | MoparMonster

And part #1 in this link. 2017-2018 Dodge Challenger Body Side Aperture Front Panel, Right 68043534AN | MoparMonster

These are examples I don't know if you have rust on the right, left or both sides.
Thank you for the reply, I was afraid of that.
Since I posted this I have done some more research and found that this is a common problem apparently.
Below is an example pic I found from another forum,and its showing pretty much the concern I am having also.
Since I am located in Sweden and have limited access to ordering larger panels from the US, I have decided that I´m gonna try and contact a local fabrication shop and ask if they can try and custom make replacement pieces.

Might make a good subject for another "Project" thread ?

·
Registered
418 Posts
That foam has got to be the most wrong thing I've seen in a long time. What were they thinking?????

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,004 Posts
Yup the foam in the rockers does not help these cars and really promotes rust. Several posts on this.

As for replacement metal, have you tried mopar parts sites like these?

·
Super Moderator
15,591 Posts
That foam has got to be the most wrong thing I've seen in a long time. What were they thinking?????
sound deadening - its common in a lot of cars.

when you have hollow areas that are enclosed (pillars are another one) the injected foam is used to deaden that.

other wise there's resonance / noise that turns up from different areas of the bodies

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

when you have hollow areas that are enclosed (pillars are another one) the injected foam is used to deaden that.

other wise there's resonance / noise that turns up from different areas of the bodies
My VW Golf came with wax in enclosed areas/cavities in the sheet metal. For sound deadening but to also help prevent rust but preventing the accumulation of water.

But someone gave the car too much wax. Early on I had a heck of a time when I parked the car in the sun for some time. There was a leak or something that let wax drip out and blob up on the car under the driver side door. I'd have to wipe it off. This went on for some weeks gradually getting less and less then no more wax.

I think my Porsche cars were treated to wax too but I never had one leak it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

I understand it's used in a lot of cars, but other modern cars don't seem to have this rust issue in such short time - even on cars that aren't in the "rust" belt. Dodge definitely did something different than other manufacturers, because having a car that is VERY well taken care of rust out in as little as 5 years in just unacceptable in this day and age.

I'd take a little more "road noise" over a car that rusts out so quickly any day! :) If they are going to use that foam in there, then they need to make damn sure no water is going to get in there... So far, it seems they have failed at that (I've seen quite a few complaints about this issue).

It would be interesting to know the percentage of Challengers that have this rust issue and how long it took. Maybe it's one of those "people only comment when there is a problem" issue and it doesn't happen with the vast majority of Challengers? Obviously, it's hard to say. I just know that I will not be happy if my Challenger has rust-through issues in under 10 years.... None of my other cars have done that in the past 20 years or so...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts