Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yellowjacket that has the rocker panel molding coming away starting at the front wheel well.

Is there any aftermarket replacements or is the FCA replacement the only way to go?

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
I have a Yellowjacket that has the rocker panel molding coming away starting at the front wheel well.

Is there any aftermarket replacements or is the FCA replacement the only way to go?
The '08 - '14 rocker trims have a funky way of attachment - some sections used double sided sticky foam blocks along to stick to the body pinch weld / steel rocker. The ends closer to the wheel wells used clips as well.

And these are prone to warping or cracking where they turn 90* into the wheel wells. It was one of the weak points on exterior trim for the LC series cars.

Probably better off just getting a new part as yours probably is warping. Or the clips have become brittle and broke off.

My '09 had the drivers side with a slight warp and one of them had a slight crack forming where it met the 90* at the rear wheel well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The '08 - '14 rocker trims have a funky way of attachment - some sections used double sided sticky foam blocks along to stick to the body pinch weld / steel rocker. The ends closer to the wheel wells used clips as well.

And these are prone to warping or cracking where they turn 90* into the wheel wells. It was one of the weak points on exterior trim for the LC series cars.

Probably better off just getting a new part as yours probably is warping. Or the clips have become brittle and broke off.

My '09 had the drivers side with a slight warp and one of them had a slight crack forming where it met the 90* at the rear wheel well.
Hal H is correct regarding the warping. You certainly can buy some aftermarket covers although way more expensive than the OEM. When I replaced mine 5 years ago now I added some extra 3M tape so the entire trim had tape along the edge. The new covers come with the clips already so no worries if they break coming out. But the metal is very thin in that spot so take some care and slowly pop them out one at a time. Then when you screw the new ones back on at the wheel wells (the last thing you should do in the process) do not over tighten cause as HalH said that's a weak point and they will break again. Just snug up lightly then back off a 1/2 turn.

Since replacing mine I have had no issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts