Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '09 SRT8 with a little rust on body quarter panels. I'm fully capable of fixing the rust itself but I'm not so great at blending paint and have no experience with metallic paint. My car is in really good shape otherwise. After I fix the metal, I was thinking I'd just paint a 6" black stripe, paint something onto the repairs(I'm working on a porcupine to paint on my motorcycle and I'd be using this too), or put rocker panel trim over it that way I could just paint the repair without worrying terribly about blending it, though I still would.

I'm going to be blacking out the rims and gas filler since they both need painted anyway.

I couldn't find much in the way of pictures of people using rocker panel trim. My car is metallic silver.

Anyone have pictures of anything like this?

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,619 Posts
I painted cars for over 20 years unfortunately can't anymore since my Stroke. Metallic's are work and any color with Pearl's and many have both. Once the Color is properly blended then you have to keep the same spray angle of the Gun and Spray Pattern they can lay flat or pop too much depending on distance and angle of the gun when your spraying. You usually have to blend into the door and some times the deck lid depending on how much the quarter your doing. Also do long even passes when Spraying.

For your Blacking out Wheels and Gas Cap you may want to go with Powder Coating looks best more Durable and not that expensive.

You can always tape off and do some Graphic Stripes but just make sure you mask off both sides of the car same and make sure prepped for the new Paint. The other alternative is to prep seal the panels and go with a Wrap once everything is perfectly smooth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I painted cars for over 20 years unfortunately can't anymore since my Stroke. Metallic's are work and any color with Pearl's and many have both. Once the Color is properly blended then you have to keep the same spray angle of the Gun and Spray Pattern they can lay flat or pop too much depending on distance and angle of the gun when your spraying. You usually have to blend into the door and some times the deck lid depending on how much the quarter your doing. Also do long even passes when Spraying.

For your Blacking out Wheels and Gas Cap you may want to go with Powder Coating looks best more Durable and not that expensive.

You can always tape off and do some Graphic Stripes but just make sure you mask off both sides of the car same and make sure prepped for the new Paint. The other alternative is to prep seal the panels and go with a Wrap once everything is perfectly smooth.

I have an old oven to do powder coating in. I figured the gas cap would be plastic though.

I've painted emblems and the like with Rustoleum and got 4 years and counting with it on my Bronco. I painted it flat tan and bed linered the bumpers and topper. I couldn't blend it if I wanted though, I'd have to scuff and spray the whole car. I can blend regular paint OK.

On the Challenger the spot where the clear messed up is the size of a dollar bill. I am going to try to just scuff it with a red pad and spray some clear on it for the moment.

Have you ever sprayed 2k clear over laquer by chance?

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,107 Posts
I have a '09 SRT8 with a little rust on body quarter panels. I'm fully capable of fixing the rust itself but I'm not so great at blending paint and have no experience with metallic paint. My car is in really good shape otherwise. After I fix the metal, I was thinking I'd just paint a 6" black stripe, paint something onto the repairs(I'm working on a porcupine to paint on my motorcycle and I'd be using this too), or put rocker panel trim over it that way I could just paint the repair without worrying terribly about blending it, though I still would.

I'm going to be blacking out the rims and gas filler since they both need painted anyway.

I couldn't find much in the way of pictures of people using rocker panel trim. My car is metallic silver.

Anyone have pictures of anything like this?
Best of luck with this repair.

You may want to search about the Challenger rusty quarter panel problem.

If you see it, it's also in the lower sills. A real Big Time repair to do correctly, or it'll come back quickly.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,619 Posts
Ok, usually if you spray a Urethane or Clear Enamel type paint over a Lacquer you get pinholes and a mess even years later Lacquer still evaporates.
To reduce any issues a clear seal coat is best first, so its less of an issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Best of luck with this repair.

You may want to search about the Challenger rusty quarter panel problem.

If you see it, it's also in the lower sills. A real Big Time repair to do correctly, or it'll come back quickly.
I can replace a quarter panel and do body work OK. I can see what causes it after checking it out. I feel like I can remove the bulk of the rust in the parts not rusted through and then seal the back with por15, then treat the area with Fluid film yearly.

I know "correct" vs "works". I can't do any worse than Dodge did with their 5 year quarter panels IMO. The car won't be driven on salty roads ever again. I have 4 vehicles, so I can lay it up for the winter.

I'm split between welding in patch metal or using panel adhesive and a patch. Given the location and the fact that I'll be putting an emblem over the area, I feel like using adhesive to put the piece in would work just as good if not better.

As a side note, after looking at it more, the clear that is peeling is actually where someone blended it after filling the rust spot with bondo or something. They did this to the previous purchaser, I knew it had the rust there and that is why I got it with low mileage for $15k. It doesn't look like they sanded or anything before doing the blend. The paint under the clear coat looks great. I might try and get it off. Hopefully they did a real crap job and the paint is all intact above the patch and I can just polish it back and not do any blending.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts