Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Plum Crazy T/A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an issue with my driver side rocker panel where the portion towards the front of the car just wont sit flush. It bows out a little bit right at one of the clips is that holds the panel in place. As best I can tell it seems like the clip that holds the panel in place just won't go all the way in. I've tried pushing it in more, and using a trim tool from the top and the bottom to try to get the clip to catch and lock it fully in place but nothing I do seems to work. I believe this happened when I took the car back to the dealership for something a week after I bought it and had the mud guards put on while I was there so maybe something happened while installing those or while the car was on the lift?

Any insight into how I might get that clip to snap fully in place would be greatly appreciated!
Purple Violet Floor Sky Automotive exterior
Purple Blue Violet Sky Automotive exterior
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Wheel Purple

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
605 Posts
Perhaps the dealer lunkhead installing the splash guards improperly placed the lift's arm pads on the pinch welds thereby deforming the panel or possibly breaking a retainer clip?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
If it's not just snapping in, you have a problem. You probably need to pull it loose and have a look at what's going on.

·
Registered
2019 Plum Crazy T/A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps the dealer lunkhead installing the splash guards improperly placed the lift's arm pads on the pinch welds thereby deforming the panel or possibly breaking a retainer clip?
I thought about that but I don't think I see anything majorly wrong with the pinch weld. It's not perfect but I don't see anywhere that it's messed up enough to affect the panel.
Wall Yellow Wood Purple Line
Wall Wood Rust Metal Door
Tire Floor Automotive tire Wood Wire

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
I did that on my 2013, it was from the jack jamming the rocker panel cover. I never did get to go back 100%.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Improper hoisting/jacking is a very common cause of rocker cladding damage on our cars. If you're certain it was fine before, I would suggest taking it back to the dealership and bring it up. Obviously there is a problem there.

·
Registered
2019 Plum Crazy T/A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as I can tell I think it may just be an issue with the plastic clip on the panel itself. I can't get the front clip off but I'm able to see enough now that I can tell there nothing wrong with the front quarter panel. The clip just does not want to go into the hole.
Vehicle door Automotive exterior Purple Vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
That clip is molded into the rocker molding. It's not replaceable. The rocker molding is also listed as "remove and replace" so it's really considered a one time use item.

They screwed it up with their jack when they put your splash guards on. You need a new one.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That definitely looks like they improperly placed the jack pad. Looks like the jack pad sat partially under the plastic rocker. I’d take it to another body shop and ask them their opinion. I personally hate dealerships!

·
Registered
2019 Plum Crazy T/A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Is there any need to replace them outside of cosmetic? It's honestly not very noticeable (except to me), I'm considering holding off for a while until it either gets more out of wack or the rocker panels start to get ratty and then replace both sides.

Also should I be concerned about the pinch welds?

·
Registered
605 Posts
The dealer's shop most likely used a 2 post lift which has 4 arms with typically square pads on the ends to lift a vehicle.

Instead of putting the square lift pads on the proper lift points (recessed area or extruding round pad), the tech may have either put the pad directly under the pinch welds - or askew on the round pad - where it made contact with the pinch weld.

The rocker panel is right next to the pinch weld and lower than it, hence contacting the pinch weld means they almost certainly contacted the rocker molding as well, likely deforming it and breaking a clip.

Just my flow of logic on the situation.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My rear quarter panel on my 2016 Rt Shaker that connects to the rear bumper always was out atads but
by pushing the quarter panel atads would put the car back to normal.Would pop back out after driving again
Dealer told me it need a clip but I was always too busy since it was not a big deal.
Warranty ended but not a problem since I traded the car in for a Scat pack and pushed the quarter panel
in when dealer was looking at it for a tradin......Think it popped back out after I drove my new car home ,but who cars its the dealers problem now lol......JT

·
Registered
605 Posts
The '08-14 LC rocker moldings are "discontinued" but can still be found though.
Unfortunately, after 2018 the prices more than doubled! Nowadays, the MSRP of the passenger side is $284 (usually retails around $200) and the drivers side an asinine $587 ($400 retail).

So if the dealer broke something and messed things up, I wouldn't want that coming out of my pocket. At least the '15+ LD "sill cladding" only costs $267 MSRP (~$180 retail) each.

·
Registered
2019 Plum Crazy T/A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll have much recourse with the dealer. I bought the car used and didn't notice the rocker panel until a few weeks after I had the rain guards installed. I don't have any pictures of the car good enough to prove that the rocker panel wasn't like that before I had the rain guards added so they will just claim it was like that when I bought it. Luckily the issue appears to be with the sill cladding so while not cheap necessarily it's not stupid expensive like the molding.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll have much recourse with the dealer. I bought the car used and didn't notice the rocker panel until a few weeks after I had the rain guards installed. I don't have any pictures of the car good enough to prove that the rocker panel wasn't like that before I had the rain guards added so they will just claim it was like that when I bought it. Luckily the issue appears to be with the sill cladding so while not cheap necessarily it's not stupid expensive like the molding.
The car is a 2019 correct? Under 60,000 km? You could probably get it covered on warranty. Either way, it can't hurt to bring it up and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have a better word than lunkhead, and that’s exactly what happened!! dealers are a big no no

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 6Speed
36 Posts
You could just get some Silca gel and paste them back in place.
Or use a heat gun and tap it to form maybe?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts