Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the rocker panels on the +2015 Challengers can be removed?

I got wax all over them. I want to take them off so I can try to clean them, possibly cover them in vinyl if all else fails.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here is one removal procedure...I think my factory service manual may have more images.
Nuts, I'm gonna need to buy extra push pins for the wheel fender. I can't tell what the ones along the body are.

Looks like it will be more trouble than it's worth to remove and re-install, I may need to just open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosau- I mean, scrub really good.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,235 Posts
Yes, they can be removed....but be careful. The clips can/will break easily.

You pull straight back on the bottom of the panels, and use a trim panel removal tool to press down on the top of the white clips at the top of the rocker panel to "unlock" them from the car.

Here's an article I wrote detailing how I went about doing it. I apologize but the pictures got moved/deleted from my online account, but I believe the text should be sufficient.

2015 Rocker Panel Replacement

Reactions: praiseV8

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Nuts, I'm gonna need to buy extra push pins for the wheel fender. I can't tell what the ones along the body are.

Looks like it will be more trouble than it's worth to remove and re-install, I may need to just open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosau- I mean, scrub really good.
Try using s pink pencil eraser very slowly over the wax on the plastic. Do not push too hard or go to fast, be patient. Just lay on a creeper, no need to remove them.

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
Does anyone know if the rocker panels on the +2015 Challengers can be removed?

I got wax all over them. I want to take them off so I can try to clean them, possibly cover them in vinyl if all else fails.
in the future - mask off with blue painter's tape - that grained plastic is a pain to remove wax residue off - seen a few folks do that

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
in the future - mask off with blue painter's tape - that grained plastic is a pain to remove wax residue off - seen a few folks do that
Yeah, I don't use paste wax anymore, and that was the first time I detailed a car. I've done it twice more now and know better, but the stains are still there to mock me.

I don't think I'll remove them, I will probably leave them on and put the car on stands or get ready for a serious arm workout as I try to scrub the stains off with a pink eraser, lol.

Try using s pink pencil eraser very slowly over the wax on the plastic. Do not push too hard or go to fast, be patient. Just lay on a creeper, no need to remove them.
I tried applying little force, but they didn't start coming off until I got a little more rough with it.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
So basically this is the only time it is acceptable to be off your rocker?! :grin2: If I could only use this power for good. :disappointed:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I apologize but the pictures got moved/deleted from my online account, but I believe the text should be sufficient.

PaVaSteeler - that article was a good one - I really appreciate all the effort you spent to create that. It just so happens that I printed it out to PDF back when I first joined. The PDF is below if anyone wants to download it for reference.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PaVaSteeler - that article was a good one - I really appreciate all the effort you spent to create that. It just so happens that I printed it out to PDF back when I first joined. The PDF is below if anyone wants to download it for reference.

That really helps, thanks to both of you!

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,235 Posts

That's awesome that you saved it in pdf....I feel bad that the archived article is missing the pictures. I downloaded your PDF so I can reference it in the future, or attach it to another request here.

Reactions: XLRRR8

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
another thing that can work is use dish detergent and soft bristle toothbrush and go at that way.

Probably do multiple passes - don't want to get aggressive and change the finish of the plastic

·
Registered
352 Posts
another thing that can work is use dish detergent
Nice and safe idea there. Regular "Blue" Dawn dish washing detergent is my detergent of choice when it comes to removing grime and oily road grime in my garage. Works especially good on oily, greasy hands too!

------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: PaVaSteeler

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,640 Posts
This sounds a bit crazy but I remember reading here a while ago that peanut butter has properties that can remove white wax residue from the plastic. Only problem is the neighborhood dogs will be strangely attracted to your car!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Last I heard, the peanut butter just hid it, not removed it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts