Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, ordered a set of staggered 20x9, 20x11, both in +15 offset. Will have some pictures up later.

So far, the fit on this setup works. Going on the car right now, and appears that the rears are going to clear with a little under a finger width to the inner fender, and “not” sticking out under the fender. It’s barely tucked, but it’s in there. Not sure I would be comfortable running a 315 on this setup, and would have to modify the inner liner for another 1/2-1” of clearance to be comfortable with it.

Will put up pics later and report back when I get them down to the drags sometime in the next two weeks.

They look good, they’re a little lighter than my stock wheels by feel, but I will try and get them on the scale to confirm the difference- not sure there’s going to be much compared to the 245’s coming off on stock rim. I’m sure that weight is out there, so I will try and get this posted if someone else hasn’t for comparison.

Excited to try them out with the blower now on. Note, that a light-footed drive had no traction issues on the street with non-studded winter tires on pavement, even going into boost at 6.5 lbs.

I’m hoping to be able to get the lead foot out for these, and review it later in case anyone is on the fence.

Both wheels and tires were purchased separately from supporting vendors.

Cheers,

Chuck

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm....never seen 20x11 with +15 that are tucked...pics please.
Lost the light whilst taking care of other business today, but will get them up tomorrow.
Tucked is a generous interpretation, and literally at the limit of the definition.
Will get out a ruler with it for the inner fender. I think a 315 will fit, but it will be tight, and make a strong argument for getting flares if I head back to New Hampshire later.
That’s not breaking my heart, but I don’t want to break the bank on it just yet- too many other projects to fund, including the fuel system and forging the bottom end.

So far though, the traction is excellent, even in 50 F weather. Will get some pics up and hopefully have some time slips by the end of the weekend. Will be the first run this car (and me) have seen.

Will keep an eye out for peeling as well (thank you!)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pics as promised

Hopefully, the attachments uploaded correctly.

Doing this from my iPad, so tips are welcome from more experienced members... which is pretty much everybody :grin2:

Anyway, I got it on a lift today IOT put on the per4mance development brace.
I will post that in a separate thread with an AAR- please read it before installing, but please don’t be put off on buying. Will get more info up, but I consider it an upgrade that is working in conjunction with the rims and tires as a system. Will try to fill in the details as to why later.

Back to the rims- if the pictures are loaded, what you should be seeing is a gap in the inner liner of about .40 inches on the inside lower edge at the 4 o’clock position as oriented from the outside view 90 degrees to the tire. If you’re looking right at it, it’s the position toward the front nose of the vehicle at the lower inside edge.

Much has already been posted a bunch of places about liner mods- I have no practical mechanical experience, but I can look at it right now and see where a drill, a zip tie, and a heat gun could provide another inch of clearance with about 2 hours invested time total on both sides. Given that, and the total difference between the Nitto NT555R 305 width of 12.17” and the NT05 width of 12.48” (difference of 0.31”), I would feel equally as comfortable running either tire with minor, non-visible from exterior, and low impact modification. Shooter’s preference, but I picked the 555R due to local weather considerations and appropriate risk mitigation based on running them full time during the summer.

As far as the rims- due to location/shipping, the total investment has been $2500. Tires with shipping, mounting, balancing, and new TPMS has been $2000. Understand that this means a $4000 decision for the same setup in the lower 48, give or take. It’s going to be difficult to quantify the impact due to the addition of the supercharger, but the anecdotal evidence so far is that it allows me to run on sandy, uneven pavement without issue, and launch like an absolute animal. Given that I had significant wheel spin at high throttle engagement running a stock setup, I have been much more successful accessing available power with this setup, and have no problem recommending this or similar as a primary consideration for the first round of upgrades.

I have no affiliation with any vendor- I will say that I am looking forward to adding fender flares to this setup as soon as practical in order to ensure that no arguments ensue on the side of the road about tires sticking out. I would like to think the objective observations and evidence would win, but it’s really, really close. I haven’t used a drop weight yet to string test it, but it’s within the realm of possibility that suspension alignment could put it out of the fender from a legal perspective, if that matters for anyone.

Anyway, I like the setup- I am not a “bling” kinda fella, and will probably try and get different center caps at some point, but the pics should show what it looks like in the wild without a photographer and scene prep. Will report back in when I get a time slip. For the time being, it was worth the time and the money to get them on, as it has enhanced the day-to-day usability of the car pretty significantly.

I promised a mention on the rear diff brace- for street use, having put it on today (lot’s of ass pain, no threads on the rear crossmember) it has stiffened up the rear end significantly enough that the wheels are even more planted and useful in stoplight application and turning. No quantifiable data, but the extra $200 for the brace seems to have added notable stability to the tires on initial push, enough that I don’t know how easy it would actually be to do a street burnout right now, but it’s even farther down on the peddle than I’ve had an opportunity to really test. Given that it was at ‘point A’ before the supercharger, more shallow after, the point at which I expected wheelspin with the new wheels/tires is significantly deeper on the peddle than stock- hitting that point and pushing it a little farther with the brace on still has not resulted in wheel spin. I estimate it is no some point beyond 60-70% of the peddle down from a stopped launch on an unprepared surface. I’m sure if I push it down, it’ll spin. However, launching at 1600 rpm earlier on the street at a light resulted in a clean takeoff. I imagine that I can probably get 2000 rpm at the track without issue, and will test that this weekend with a roll into the pedal.

Overall, I am pleased with the setup, and have high hopes for a good showing this season at the strip.

Cheers,

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Additional pictures of inner fender

Some more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Nice ?? some of that poke should be taken care of if you go a little lower and the camber settles in , depending if thats the direction you want to go lol. Heres how Bertha was sitting when i still had the rohannas, beautiful wheels good choice dude!

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice ?? some of that poke should be taken care of if you go a little lower and the camber settles in , depending if thats the direction you want to go lol. Heres how Bertha was sitting when i still had the rohannas, beautiful wheels good choice dude!
Bro, not that your new rims in your avatar don’t, but the silver Rohanas looked pretty awesome!
Almost have me rethinking the black. Almost :grin2:.

I hear you on the suspension- that’s 10k worth of plans in the works right now, and probably the next deployment away from getting done, unfortunately. Of course, that’s mostly Luke’s fault, as half of that will be the JRI setup. Looking forward to it in another two years or so, but we’ll see.

At any rate, thank again, and would you mind adding any thoughts that made you change from them to another choice of wheels?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yeah, they definitely had a nice finish in their brushed titanium but as i also mentioned, it started cracking the clear a little over a year (probably due to my lack of care/cleaning) but I wanted to focus on handling and chassis /suspension mods and the 22’s were definitely not ideal. I went down to 18’s .
Car drove fine but that was my first and last experience with 22’s i think finding out 2 wheels were bent after wasnt fun. Plus, my driving habbits beat them up real good.

All that being said....i still miss the looks these wheels definitely look good in any color

Also ide like to note, that these rohannas are pretty light. Suprisingly my rears (22x10.5) were only something like 22lbs

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Much appreciated for the perspective, and for the heads up- hoping these last for a year least a couple of summers, and will probably be beaters by the third or fourth year, mostly for the drag strip and rolling around.

Hoping that by then, I can afford to go to a full forged 18 or 19” track setup. Literally just following Luke’s example on some of this, as I have aspirations at some point when I get back to the lower 48 of getting some track time. Also really, really tired of the “boat can’t turn, only belongs on straight roads in a calm wind, etc” comments.

Curious to see how this setup handles later with some different tires for road work and a suspension upgrade, but know already it’s not the end game.

It damn fi it isn’t fun at stop lights and on the highway now. >:)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hopefully, the attachments uploaded correctly.

Doing this from my iPad, so tips are welcome from more experienced members... which is pretty much everybody :grin2:

Anyway, I got it on a lift today IOT put on the per4mance development brace.
I will post that in a separate thread with an AAR- please read it before installing, but please don’t be put off on buying. Will get more info up, but I consider it an upgrade that is working in conjunction with the rims and tires as a system. Will try to fill in the details as to why later.

Back to the rims- if the pictures are loaded, what you should be seeing is a gap in the inner liner of about .40 inches on the inside lower edge at the 4 o’clock position as oriented from the outside view 90 degrees to the tire. If you’re looking right at it, it’s the position toward the front nose of the vehicle at the lower inside edge.

Much has already been posted a bunch of places about liner mods- I have no practical mechanical experience, but I can look at it right now and see where a drill, a zip tie, and a heat gun could provide another inch of clearance with about 2 hours invested time total on both sides. Given that, and the total difference between the Nitto NT555R 305 width of 12.17” and the NT05 width of 12.48” (difference of 0.31”), I would feel equally as comfortable running either tire with minor, non-visible from exterior, and low impact modification. Shooter’s preference, but I picked the 555R due to local weather considerations and appropriate risk mitigation based on running them full time during the summer.

As far as the rims- due to location/shipping, the total investment has been $2500. Tires with shipping, mounting, balancing, and new TPMS has been $2000. Understand that this means a $4000 decision for the same setup in the lower 48, give or take. It’s going to be difficult to quantify the impact due to the addition of the supercharger, but the anecdotal evidence so far is that it allows me to run on sandy, uneven pavement without issue, and launch like an absolute animal. Given that I had significant wheel spin at high throttle engagement running a stock setup, I have been much more successful accessing available power with this setup, and have no problem recommending this or similar as a primary consideration for the first round of upgrades.

I have no affiliation with any vendor- I will say that I am looking forward to adding fender flares to this setup as soon as practical in order to ensure that no arguments ensue on the side of the road about tires sticking out. I would like to think the objective observations and evidence would win, but it’s really, really close. I haven’t used a drop weight yet to string test it, but it’s within the realm of possibility that suspension alignment could put it out of the fender from a legal perspective, if that matters for anyone.

Anyway, I like the setup- I am not a “bling” kinda fella, and will probably try and get different center caps at some point, but the pics should show what it looks like in the wild without a photographer and scene prep. Will report back in when I get a time slip. For the time being, it was worth the time and the money to get them on, as it has enhanced the day-to-day usability of the car pretty significantly.

I promised a mention on the rear diff brace- for street use, having put it on today (lot’s of ass pain, no threads on the rear crossmember) it has stiffened up the rear end significantly enough that the wheels are even more planted and useful in stoplight application and turning. No quantifiable data, but the extra $200 for the brace seems to have added notable stability to the tires on initial push, enough that I don’t know how easy it would actually be to do a street burnout right now, but it’s even farther down on the peddle than I’ve had an opportunity to really test. Given that it was at ‘point A’ before the supercharger, more shallow after, the point at which I expected wheelspin with the new wheels/tires is significantly deeper on the peddle than stock- hitting that point and pushing it a little farther with the brace on still has not resulted in wheel spin. I estimate it is no some point beyond 60-70% of the peddle down from a stopped launch on an unprepared surface. I’m sure if I push it down, it’ll spin. However, launching at 1600 rpm earlier on the street at a light resulted in a clean takeoff. I imagine that I can probably get 2000 rpm at the track without issue, and will test that this weekend with a roll into the pedal.

Overall, I am pleased with the setup, and have high hopes for a good showing this season at the strip.

Cheers,

Chuck

I hope you do not mind, I rotated and lightened up a couple of your pic's to see the wheels better.

Awesome looking set of wheels/tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts