Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems I've been hit with the mysterious 'roof dimples'. A lot of them. Is this worth pursuing with Dodge, or is it just one of those 'it is what is' deals?

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Got picture?

Reactions: sdawson

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
my understanding on for them is, body flex while doing standing starts ie; like dragstripe acceleration
Nope, read the thread. Garage queens have had this issue too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Do any of these cars with the roof dimples have strut braces ?? Just wonder if they help too stop this,,,

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I'm just going to give my opinion on this, worth what you paid for it, and it's based both on reading all the CT posts on the topic and comparing with my experience with a Charger and Challenger (45K miles on the first, 20K on the second, both daily drivers).

There are some troubling cases, and the most convincing explanation to me so far has been the flex of some supporting structures/beams causing weld (glu) points to pull on the thin sheet metal.

But after watching my black Challenger like a hawk and detailing it weekly, I have no problems to speak of. My Charger did have dents, but I had bought it used. At this point I believe that the sheet metal is simply too thin (a member/dealer here called it "coke can" thin) and it's external factors that cause the dents. The car's body has to be handled like an egg shell, and if you or people you can't necessarily see (transport, dealership porters, shop employees, valets, people in parking lots, neighborhood kids playing around your car) make the wrong move you have a dent.

A while back I caught a large convex indentation in the center of my trunk lid. I was pissed... then remembered that I had stuffed paper towels on top of groceries a few days prior to that and closed the trunk on them. I pushed it back in, and it's ridiculous to have to do that... but no sweat or mystery.

Around my door handles, if I look at the right angle I will also spot slight indentations. From their shape, they're likely stamping marks from when the holes were punched in at the factory. Character from the fabrication process.

As for the large plastic fascia and bumpers connected to the sheet metal, they flex too around the pins and you'll see some unsightly waviness there, that comes and goes.

I know this is not going to go over well with everyone, especially those who show their cars... but I personally don't care about this issue. I knew about it when I bought the car and see it on other makes. Like many other things (orange peel) it's a sign of the times and no one else cares, believe me. Dodge employees roll their eyes when you complain and the public only sees a beautiful car. Mine's a DD and debris bounce off it regularly on the roads. I'm anal so it pisses me off and I never babied a car so much, but I'd rather drive it and enjoy myself than spend my life staring at imperfections and agonizing over causes. I just know I have to be very aware of my hands when working on the car, like during waxing, and never, ever, lean on the body (metal or plastic).

Just $0.2 for perspective, guys, but I obviously haven't seen every Challenger out there.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I had a couple of small ones when I first got the car...used PDR on them...put a front strut brace on...haven't had any since....probably over a year and a half now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have an rt with STP and a strut brace. Spend 98% of time in a garage and still had 2 mystery roof dents. A pdr guy was able to remove one of them by doing a glue/pull from the top. He could not get access to the other one from below to make it perfect. It has been a year since pdr and I do not have any more new ones. I am glad the one he completely removed was the most visible.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
867 Posts
My car does not have any of these so-called roof dents.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Is this an auto or m6 deal,maybe harder take off with the m6,if so maybe frame connectors
could help.The unibody must be flexing.
I have none of this,it's an A5.
Might be something to see if it effects one more than the other?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I had a couple ripples on the passanger roof rail near the sail panel. I believe I caused them by elbowing it when I waxed the car for the first time. Had a pdr guy remove them, and never waxed the car again. But I have only washed it four times. The sheet metal in these cars is very thin. I think you can dent them easy, especially during a wax job.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I got them. Two of them...right above the windshield line. One is 8 inches towards center just past the A pillar above the windshield. The other is nearly the same distance wise on the passenger side inward from the A pillar.

I just assume they are from launching the car and the body torquing...I'll PDR it some day...but for now they are badges of honor :)

And honestly I doubt you would see them if I didn't point them out to you.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I know this is not going to go over well with everyone, especially those who show their cars... but I personally don't care about this issue. Dodge employees roll their eyes when you complain and the public only sees a beautiful car.
My thoughts exactly. I'm taking my car to shows this year AND I daily drive it. I couldn't care less about "mystery dents" that you can't even seen with an eagle eye unless you're standing at the proper angle in the proper light. For every 1 person who sees these dents, there are 100,000 that won't notice.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
If you want them fixed it's worth it. Search the mysterious roof dents thread (something like that). Chrysler's "Top Care" paid for my repairs on my previous Challenger. They took good care of me. Or reach out to Mike Driehorst at Chyrsler: [email protected]
He'll get you in touch with Top Care at Chrysler. Mike Brozowski III was my agent and was terrific!

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
If you want them fixed it's worth it. Search the mysterious roof dents thread (something like that). Chrysler's "Top Care" paid for my repairs on my previous Challenger. They took good care of me. Or reach out to Mike Driehorst at Chyrsler: [email protected]
He'll get you in touch with Top Care at Chrysler. Mike Brozowski III was my agent and was terrific!
Sound advise for those who want to repair theirs.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My question is even if you get them repaired, wont it happen again (if due to launching or whatever other mystery cause)? Unless you plan on repeatedly getting them fixed...

My car, for all intents and purposes, is a garage queen. 3500 miles in 7 months and has different dents that appear and disappear on their own lol

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
By the way, another location that many Challengers (almost all I've ever seen) have dents are along the rear quarter panels. Even on the dealer lots I can spot them on fresh cars in the right light. They are usually vertical (up and down) dents above the creased body line. Chrysler will fix those too. I was told it's from when they press the body panels together at the factory.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
These "dents" don't come from "launching", trust me. It's a manufacturing/production variance that can cause these to appear.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
There's also the painted plastic trim where the roof seam meets the side rail - the '10 and '11 cars were consistently bad about dimples from the installation. These can be replaced - they're held on with double-sided tape.

Its more noticeable on darker color cars and the more recent '12-'14 are better, but some seem to have some heavy-handed installers at the plant.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts