Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm a new Challenger owner. I bought a 2017 Challenger GT last week and after driving the car 10 times or so I started to notice a rattle in the roof around the overhead console. It was super annoying and unacceptable on a 160 mile car.

As an automotive interiors engineer, I knew I could fix it. The sound was a bounce on bumps and a sliding sound when stopping or taking off hard or going around a corner. It moved around and happened sunroof open or closed.

Determined not to take it to the dealer, I partially disassembled the headliner to check for loose screws in the overhead console. No issue there.

Finally today I started to focus more on the sunroof and I found the problem. After careful inspection that all the screws were tight on the sunroof, I found an extra screw that had been dropped in front of the air diffuser during assembly and was hanging out on the track it sits in.

In the industry, its a bonus screw and its a big problem. Its been reported to the dealer as a 0 TIS warranty claim.

I've posted pictures for anyone else who might have this issue.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Torx T20 or T25, 20mm with a flat washer attached.

Its a pretty standard screw for assembling vehicles and interior components.

I don't think it was done on purpose, but rather they dropped one and got another but didn't fish that one back out before it went to the next station on the line.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Those hold the glass in, i see now how it happened, still the person knew they dropped it, i guess they can't stop the line for a lost screw.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Those hold the glass in, i see now how it happened, still the person knew they dropped it, i guess they can't stop the line for a lost screw.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Ford puts a defect tag on any part of a vehicle with a dropped screw on the F150 line at Dearborn Truck and the truck gets sent to repair before rolls testing to fix the issue. I've seen it because we've sent Ford parts before that needed repaired and I had to go look as the product engineer.

If FCA continues to allow defects to pass down the line and let the dealer fix it before delivery to a customer, this will continue to happen because dealers, no matter how good their techs are, don't know the vehicles like the people who make them for a living.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I dug up this thread while doing research. I noticed a very faint rattle today. I've got 195 miles right now. Every time I went over uneven pavement or a slight bump, I heard a bit of rattle from behind me somewhere. Not sure if it was emanating from the back end of the sunroof or elsewhere in the rear. It wasn't enough to drive me insane, but
I do tend to have dog ears, so I noticed it. My passenger didn't. There was no sliding or rolling noise (I had that in the vanity mirror of my previous car).
I don't have the wherewithal to pluck anything apart like the OP, so I'm just going to continue observing for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts