Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have 2016 ScatPack Shaker that apparently has been leaking from the passenger roof seam for many months and I just recently realized it.
I noticed there was a mildew smell a long time ago but just thought I needed to replace the AC filter. I asked to do so at last oil change the guy said it was fine and didnt need to be changed. The smell did not get better, it got worse.

I typically don't do much driving except highway as I work from home. a few weeks ago I had to go out and drive in a bad storm, it had been raining about an hour. I get in the car and the roof was dripping directly onto my leather seat! I immediately grabbed a towel from the back seat and started wiping and blotting at where the headliner was wet. I should have taken a picture right then but I was so shocked I just acted. There is no visible sign of entry near the roof seam but I have not yet pulled back the gasket there. Its basically right behind where the pillar area meets the headliner. Now I am worried about rusting on the panels both roof and floor, the damage/mold to my carpet and headliner, damage and likelihood of the leather seat wearing out so much sooner since its now had months of rain dripping on it. any metal in the seat rusting. Also worried about the water dripping down the pillar and possibly rusting out metal there as well as electrical issues, speaker and any other wiring.

According to a letter I received my warranty expires March 1st (tomorrow!) so I am taking the car in to a dealer this morning. I tried to take it yesterday but the woman I spoke to at 5pm said to come in in the morning. Are they going to hassle me about getting this taken care of since I have so little time left with the warranty? Clearly there is a problem with the welding up there at the roof seam as Ive seen more than a few posts about leaks originating there. And the problem originated WITHIN the covered timeline.

I was planning on getting an extended warranty anyway, should I do this straight thru the dealer or is there a better option.

Also unrelated I'm having some extremely harsh and sloppy downshifting with the Auto transmission. Also I think I may have the water pump bearing issue as the engine bay seems to have gotten considerably more noisy over the past year. I need these two items to be addressed as well.

Thanks for any help, suggestions or opinions. Prior to the last year Ive loved every moment with the car. I'm pretty disappointed to say the least. :frown::frown:

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And the passenger seat leather where its been dripping is definitely harder on the right side bolster where the waters been hitting compared to the same seats left side bolster.
Not sure how I can go about arguing to have an entire seat replaced. 8/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi Frank,

No its fully paid for but I like it a lot and was planning on keeping it for at least 5-8 years, last two cars I've had for 13years and 11 years respectively.

Really don't wanna take the loss on a car that still functions pretty well. Just wanna ensure it gets repaired properly.
Paid roughly $47k for it off the lot and I'm sure the resale value has dropped considerably already.

As much as I love my challenger, I had been planning on my next car to be a Tesla, May end up having both. don't have the money ready for the one I want yet and I expect the next 3 years a lot more will be offered.

I just dropped it off, and the service tech told me he thinks they'll be able to take care of it. Ill get an update tomorrow. But if anybody else that has had leaks (especially at the roof seam) reads this please let me know how yours turned out after repairs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Will be interesting to know if it is really the roof seam issue, or a weatherstripping issue around the windshield.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ygbsm, that was my first thought, but all the times I have noticed it the car has been stationary and level and the location of where the water is dripping down is actually higher than the level of the windshield weatherstripping.

Also I have used gaff tape and plastic on the car whenever it wasn't going to be covered and there was rain in the forecast these past few weeks. And that for the most part kept the water from coming in, or atlas reduced the amount considerably.

I will be sure to post what the techs find though. I asked if they could provide me some photos of the seam while they it had apart but I kinda doubt they will follow thru with that.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Do you have a sunroof?

The moldings on the roof are just that, cosmetic moldings. The weld bonded seam, covered in seam sealer is under that. If you have a void or crack in the seam sealer it should be a simple repair with a good automotive flowable seam sealer.

The repair will be hidden once the molding is reinstated.

The rubber around the windshield is for noise control, it is unrelated to water entry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello Oregon Scat,

Thanks

Nope no sunroof. Ive had a sunroof before on an antique BMW and I remember how much of a pain and how many issues I had with it otherwise I would have gotten one.

I'm hoping it will be as simple as you stated, just worried that since I actually did not realize it was leaking for a few months, there may already be rust. I wasn't sure if they would have to remove ALL of the old seam sealer first along the entire side or if they would just find the source of the leak and replace just that section. Hence my hope that someone would take a few snaps while they had the molding and seam opened up. But again my idea of what is visible may still be off.

I looked up and found some documents that describe what you mention regarding the pumpable (flowable) vinyl sealer. I hope that the sealer has just lost contact on one side for some reason and not that I have some bad spot welds.

http://www.moparrepairconnection.ca/assets/docs/collision/dodge-challenger-2008-2014.pdf
http://www.moparrepairconnection.ca/assets/docs/collision/dodge-challenger-2015-present-.pdf

Thanks for the response

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hello Oregon Scat,

Thanks

Nope no sunroof. Ive had a sunroof before on an antique BMW and I remember how much of a pain and how many issues I had with it otherwise I would have gotten one.

I'm hoping it will be as simple as you stated, just worried that since I actually did not realize it was leaking for a few months, there may already be rust. I wasn't sure if they would have to remove ALL of the old seam sealer first along the entire side or if they would just find the source of the leak and replace just that section. Hence my hope that someone would take a few snaps while they had the molding and seam opened up. But again my idea of what is visible may still be off.

I looked up and found some documents that describe what you mention regarding the pumpable (flowable) vinyl sealer. I hope that the sealer has just lost contact on one side for some reason and not that I have some bad spot welds.

http://www.moparrepairconnection.ca/assets/docs/collision/dodge-challenger-2008-2014.pdf
http://www.moparrepairconnection.ca/assets/docs/collision/dodge-challenger-2015-present-.pdf

Thanks for the response
Best of luck. As you know, finding the leak is just the first step. Things will need to be evaluated, after that. It's very possible that the old stuff may need to be removed or more.

I will need to check, but I believe the roof is weld bonded (resistance spot welds through wet glue, the end result is welds and a glued joint in between the welds.).

It may come down to making a choice.

Plug the hole and stop the leak, or risk some ridiculous, overly complicated process that may cause more harm.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think that the best way to find the leak is to remove the headliner and verify where the water has entered. I would want the seat removed, the upholstery removed and the seat frame inspected. That would also apply to the carpet. You might ask about getting an extend good faith warranty should any rust issues manifest themselves in the future. Any damaged or compromised upholstery should be replaced under warranty. Good luck with this issue and let us know how this plays out.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,928 Posts
@stevewhiteparts can likely advise on an extended warranty, and give you a good quote as well

A Guy

Reactions: SoakedBee

·
Vendor
12,322 Posts
sorry, but there is no extended service plan that will cover water leaks or trim related issues
Luke

Reactions: SoakedBee

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
I think that the best way to find the leak is to remove the headliner and verify where the water has entered. I would want the seat removed, the upholstery removed and the seat frame inspected. That would also apply to the carpet. You might ask about getting an extend good faith warranty should any rust issues manifest themselves in the future. Any damaged or compromised upholstery should be replaced under warranty. Good luck with this issue and let us know how this plays out.
I am afraid that, they won't do all that. That's why I commented "TRADE IT IN" preferably at a different dealer. Get a brand new one, let the next owner worry about it, or sell it out right to someone, you will get more from a private buyer than a trade in or, carmax it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
He got it in under original manufacturer’s warranty. Shouldn’t need extended warranty for this issue. Should all be covered unless it’s been in an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all for the additional input and information! Nice to be able to have this resource so I'm not totally winging it.

I spoke to the dealer today. Initially when I brought it in Thursday morning they said their "Leak guy" comes in Thursdays so he should be able to take a look at it later that day. I declined to get a rental then since i thought they may have it ready the next day. I didnt hear from them Friday and I was too busy with work to call myself. Service writer told me today the leak guy didnt show up so they're going to need to keep it till next Thursday probably. Doesn't make much sense that they would only have 1 technician coming in 1 day a week that could diagnose a leak but I cant really argue since I literally brought the car in with 1 day left on the warranty. They do seem to stay very busy, so I'm sure theres probably just a lot of work ahead of me.

I was a little disappointed that they said didnt find anything wrong with the tranny. He said there were no updates for the computer. I asked if they drove it and he said yes. Hard to believe that they could and not notice.To me the hard sloppy downshifts are very noticeable, but the powertrain warranty has plenty of life so I guess that can gets kicked down the road for a while longer.

Getting oil changed and water pump replaced as well not sure how much of that has been already been done over the past 2 days. Had to get something out of the car today and All I saw was that they pulled up the trim around the passenger side carpet to look at the front floor panel. Had to remind them a few times that it has a leak and it needs to be stored under a roof, at least today was sunny but tomorrow well have rain.

They gave me a loaner Jeep to use. Will update when I hear more.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts