Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I just bought a 17' TA 392 with a 6spd. This is my first manual car so I'm still getting the hang of things (yes I can drive it) just a little dusty. This is just a weekend toy, So being a rookie 6spd driver, I have a few questions:

1. What is a skip shit eliminator and what purpose does it have?
-bought the car with 6k miles on it, how can I tell if one is installed?

2. What purpose does a clutch valve delete serve?

3. Is a Barton shifter that much better than stock?

·
Registered
230 Posts
1. The factory built in a first to fourth skip shift into all 6-speed challengers. It will automatically lock out second and cause you to shift into fourth under certain loads. It seems to happen under light acceleration only. They did this to beat some emissions and potentially increase MPG's. If you've never noticed shifting to fourth from first you probably have an eliminator on your car.

2. I assume you mean the clutch delay valve? It is a piece that fits in the clutch line that limits the amount of fluid that can pass through. I believe this is done to make smoother shifting by allowing a very slight amount of slippage in the clutch after engagement. I haven't removed mine, so I don't really have any real world experience.

3. Good question, I'd like to know as well.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
Guys, I just bought a 17' TA 392 with a 6spd. This is my first manual car so I'm still getting the hang of things (yes I can drive it) just a little dusty. This is just a weekend toy, So being a rookie 6spd driver, I have a few questions:

2. What purpose does a clutch valve delete serve?

3. Is a Barton shifter that much better than stock?
The skip shift eliminator just prevents the car from forcing you into 4th instead of 2nd under certain circumstances. Unless you hit just the right combination of speed and gear change, it won't force you into 4th. I would say the easiest way to find out if you have the eliminator installed is to look under the car for it. There are videos on youtube that show installation that should make it pretty clear where to look and what it looks like. Basically looks like a short harness extension. Google will have even more info.

There are several long posts about the clutch delay valve. I'd read through those to find out more info if I were you.

I have never driven a car with a Barton, but I don't find the factory shifter anywhere near as terrible as some people make it out to be. But I did drive stick-shift cars built through the 80s, so....

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The first two questions have been answered already so I'll chime in a little on the 3rd. I feel it's all a matter of preference on the Barton and what you're going to do with the car. If you're going to race I would say yes it's definitely worth it because of the shorter throw and heavier springs make it more positive in the shifts. Having driven manual transmissions most of my life that were all stock I didn't know what to expect when I made the switch but now that I have a Barton installed it is definitely night and day and I wouldn't go back.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts

Drive moderately from a full stop (with engine fully warmed up) try shifting about 20-21mph. If the shifter will only allow you to shift to 4th (your rpms will drop to ~ 1k and kills acceleration) yours doesn't have the skip-shift eliminator (this isn't an OEM item, but aftermarket).

Skip-shift is a "trick" used in the industry to get higher EPA city MPG figures - in the real world, who would ever be in 1:1 gears at 20mph? Unless you're heading down a slope / hill...maybe.

·
Registered
663 Posts
3. - I do not have a Barton shifter. I have a Hurst Short throw shifter, I can speak on stock vs the hurst. I would never go back to the stock shifter. Night and day difference in daily driving and spirited runs. To each their own though. Maybe someone with a Barton can speak on its quality and performance vs the stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you all for your response! You have certainly clarified this for me, at this point I think I'm better off to just drive the car for awhile and get to know it before changing anything. As far as the skip shift eliminator, it must be on the car because I can shift into 2nd gear at 20mph and I have never been forced into 4th at any rpm / speed. Thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
thank you all for your response! You have certainly clarified this for me, at this point I think I'm better off to just drive the car for awhile and get to know it before changing anything. As far as the skip shift eliminator, it must be on the car because I can shift into 2nd gear at 20mph and I have never been forced into 4th at any rpm / speed. Thanks again guys!
It gets me at the most annoying times. I have the Skip Shift Elim, but I just haven't installed it yet.

·
Premium Member
9,346 Posts
I enjoy looking at the dash and the display says 1st to 4th while I’m shifting from first to second, worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
It would make zero sense for the factory to build in the skip shift and then install a third party eliminator to bypass it. If you bought the car factory new it should not have an eliminator. If you bought it used, the previous owner likely would have installed it because the car is a royal PITA to drive without one.
If you've been fortunate enough not to have encountered the skip to 4th, then there's no reason to be concerned about it and you can save the $20. bucks.

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
2017 and newer M6 when in Sport or Track Mode (SRT) has the Skip-Shift automatically disabled, this is a new feature beginning with the 2017 model year.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,349 Posts
3. - I do not have a Barton shifter. I have a Hurst Short throw shifter, I can speak on stock vs the hurst. I would never go back to the stock shifter. Night and day difference in daily driving and spirited runs. To each their own though. Maybe someone with a Barton can speak on its quality and performance vs the stock.
The stock shifter for the "LC" series ['09 - '14] had long throws and not very precise feel.

I had the Hurst w/ G&K mod on my '09...made a huge difference.

The '15+ "LA" series shifters had a re-work and IMO, feels good enough on my '16 that I kept the stock unit. Throws are shorter and more positive than the former '09 was with stock.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a barton, and i love it. Its precise and well engineered. 5th and 6th seem to be hard to get used to for some but i have had many muscle cars and have had a barton before.

·
Registered
346 Posts
+1 for the Barton. Well worth the money over the piece of crap shifter that came with my T/A. Much more positive shifting with no wondering exactly what gear you are really in. Spend the money and don't look back.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
On my old '16 SP, the skip shift would only kick me to 4th at under 20 mph, this could be why you havent noticed it yet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
the skip shift has been answered previously, I have not added the eliminator, I did pull the clutch delay valve as I want to control the amount of clutch slipping is happening, I do have and LOVE the barton shifter, much more precise shifting, it feels better, never a doubt where its going as there is NO slop and while it was rare with the stock shifter i did miss a few shifts at the track (2-3) and have NEVER missed a shift with the barton,

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The stock shifter for the "LC" series ['09 - '14] had long throws and not very precise feel.

I had the Hurst w/ G&K mod on my '09...made a huge difference.

The '15+ "LA" series shifters had a re-work and IMO, feels good enough on my '16 that I kept the stock unit. Throws are shorter and more positive than the former '09 was with stock.

This for me as well...lots better than my 12 SRT...:yesnod:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts