Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Just joined the website this evening in search of an education in regards to modifying my ordered Challenger. Here is the skinny.... going to order a MY18 392 ScatPack Shaker w/ 6spd and I would like it so sound like a 60's-70's challenger. From what I 'understand' in order to do this I need a cam, long tube headers, and a CAT delete (I don't have E Check). I'm not looking for huge performance gains, just want this car to sound great! So I went to my local performance shop and listened to a 5.7 Challenger that had a Comp Cam 274 cam, long tube headers, and Flowmaster 40 series exhaust. Car sounded (ok) but not as I was hoping for. Shop owner said that the 6.4 has 3 cam options (from comp cam) that would probably sound better pending 'driveability' quality. This shop focuses on 'driveability' tuning vs 'track' tuning, so my question is, what cam would give me an awesome lope but still be a great weekend driver with good 'driveability'? This car will never see the track! I'm also open to your opinions on headers and exhaust. I really do appreciate your opinions as I want a quality build and not just throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Education..... Be thrilled and amazed that these cars make 485 HP... WITHOUT sounding like the old cars! And, they still get decent gas mileage! If you don't want or need big performance gains and want to keep drivability, there is no reason to go adding a cam, headers, and all just for sound. Lots of $$ just for a sound?? A stock Challenger back in the 70s sounded like a kitten, BTW. They weren't all wild sounding.... not from the factory.

"Lope" isn't necessarily a good thing. It sounds cool, sure. But, it's not good for efficiency and can cause tuning issues with the newer cars, as I understand. Overlap of a cam is what makes the lope... overlap means the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. Can you see why more wouldn't be efficient? More also changes power curves and tends to narrow the curve. Less overlap tends to widen the power curve, which is more what a street driven car needs. The flatter and stronger the torque curve, the better. One may make more peak numbers, while the other makes more average numbers across the curve.

I think the current SPs sound great with the active exhaust... cruise at a mellow volume, and get on it and ROAR! I'd leave it alone, if I were you. Especially if the other car you listened to was just "ok" with a cam and full exhaust. To get the lope you seem to want.. i.e. almost a Funny Car sound?... you need a cam probably well outside the drivability zone you'd be happy with.

I have an old Chevelle with a lopey cam in a big block, headers, and a 3 inch exhaust. It's fun, loud, obnoxious, and sets off car alarms if I drive by too close. I love it, but in small doses... not to mention, I doubt it even get 10 mpg. My SP gets cruised in much more.

Shoot, the modern SP is borderline as it is. I don't even know what the cam specs are on the SP. But, the way it lurches and lunges at 10 mph in a parking lot say the cam is pushing the boundaries already. More cam on a car that will never see the track.... seems unnecessary.

You haven't even ordered the car yet let alone have it in your possession. Wait until you have the car before making huge changes to it. :wink3:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick response! I definitely appreciate your input and is exactly why I asked those questions. I certainly want to know more before going through with anything.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If all you want is sound, just find an exhaust that suits your needs. As mentioned, if performance isn't your priority no sense in digging deeper into the engine and wasting money.

·
Registered
760 Posts
You really cant get the VVT motors (5.7 , 6.4) to lope like old school cars. The 6.1s have wayyy more cam options out there and some are specifically designed to create that old school lope.

If you are set on the scat pack, the 274 cam is the lopeiest they come and if you find a good tuner, is no longer difficult to tune for drive-ability.

Tinkering with the exhaust is the best thing you can do. I have longtubes that transition into straight pipes that exit in front of my rear tires (like the old T/As) and it is LOUD but I constantly get complements from old school hotrod guys saying it sounds like an old car. My exhaust is also a true-dual setup (no more x or h-pipe) and that simulates some of the lope that the engines made back in the day without having a really big cam. You can also use an h-pipe in place of an x-pipe and that will change the tone of the exhaust to the more old school muscle cars.

Everything is give and take when you are talking cams so it depends on what you are willing to give up but with anything that is offered for the VVT motors, you won't sacrifice drive-ability.

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts
The 6.4 / 392 engines come with shorty headers as OEM. I'd suggest to get the car, then evaluate things from that point onward.

The 5.7s don't sound like the 392s until they went to active exhaust in '17.

The stock cam in the 392 offers a lot of performance, and like a previous post, you have driveability and mileage that was unimaginable in the older cars.

There may be some cat-back options, but I'd say wait and see until you get it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So a bit off topic, but in regards to performance, my uncle is a an old school car guy and he says I need to port and polish the heads if I'm going through with all this. On these new cars, is there any advantage in doing so?

·
Registered
255 Posts
So a bit off topic, but in regards to performance, my uncle is a an old school car guy and he says I need to port and polish the heads if I'm going through with all this. On these new cars, is there any advantage in doing so?
Not much, if any. On the old school iron heads, a port and polish would significantly increase air flow after all the lumps and bumps got smoothed out. On these new heads with the excellent technology and machining, there's not much to be smoothed out. The new heads flow amazing even compared to a ported and polished old set.

If you want an old school car to have the noise and projects like port and polish, you should get one of those. :wink3:

The beauty of these new age beasts is, none of this is needed. Maybe some exhaust upgrades if one doesn't like the stock sound. Exhaust is normally the first thing I would do. But, the SPs with the active exhaust set up are awesome, IMO. Especially after some break in time. Mine's got about 2500 miles on it now and she just keeps sounding better all the time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Like others said, drive it first and see what you think. The roar at wide open throttle in the scat pack with the active exhaust is deafening. Sounds like a straight piped race car at full throttle. Did a WOT pass by a beamer on the interstate that had it's windows down once. Thought that guy was going to break his neck the way he whipped his head out the window to find out what the Hell made that sound! LOL!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger
6 Posts
One idea ive been considering is electronically controlled exhaust cutouts. You get a nice big sound when you want it, and when you want to bring it back to stock, hit a button. Pretty cool idea if this is going to be your daily driver

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Lope:
Wondering what all that overlap would do to the catalytic converters?

Here's a thought: recently, some manufacturers have been piping sound into performance cars to make them sound more muscular. From what I've heard it's pretty impressive when sitting in the car. But what if you could buy a program that would be controlled by the engine and would "pipe" a wonderful loping exhaust sound... OUTSIDE the car? Ha... with the right equipment, it could sound amazing: and the loudness would be totally adjustable. Now before you laugh too loud, think about it. It could actually work :)

Jus' thinkin'

1 - 12 of 12 Posts