Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been reviewing everything on big brake options and the problem with the RT and the heavy duty brakes. Personally the HD calipers I feel are more than sufficient. They are used on both the c5 and c6 Corvette, the 40.5 mill pistons. The problem I see it the stock RT rotor. The diff

RT rotor 13.6 diameter and 1.15 thick
SRT rotor 14.2 diameter and 1.26 thick

The larger surface area and thickness is what is really making the difference in stopping power. That is at least my believe. So I decided fab something.

I made a bracket to accommodate the SRT rotor. No mods just unbolt the Caliper and bracket from the spindle, add my adapter to the spindle and then the caliper to my new bracket with the Srt rotor on. When the weather gets nice I'm going to try and see if I can do some 60 to 0 brake distance checks. I believe my braking distance will be reduced. If not hey at least the new rotors will look cool.

Your thoughts on this.

Pics o follow once I'm satisfied

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow I'm surprised no one has any input on this, Hm

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
My thoughts are that while increasing the swept area marginally, you have not increased the contact area of the brake pads. I am also concerned that with the extra thickness of the rotors you may not be able to install new pads but might be enough. I'm sure the extra rotor material will help dissipate heat.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i can see your idea... depends on pad availability also.. If you look at the new rotors the height of the rotor isn't where the clamping force is coming from.. its also the length of the pads,, these 4 and 6 piston calipers allow for longer pads to add grip..But im still curious

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Srt rotors on RT spindle

Thanks for the responses guys, the problem that I see with the RT rotors is the thickness and them being prone to warping. There are several benefits to having the thicker rotor that I can see. Less warpage and better heat displacement. I found the perfect pads to fit the thicker rotor without issue. When I'm done it should be an easy mod. I will post pics when I'm done.

Todd

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not only do you get better heat dissipation, but you get the added "leverage" of moving the pads further away from the axis. It may not be much, but it should help. I'd definately be interested in seeing this mod and a "kit".

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not only do you get better heat dissipation, but you get the added "leverage" of moving the pads further away from the axis. It may not be much, but it should help. I'd definately be interested in seeing this mod and a "kit".
X2 on this! I have now warped 2 sets of rotors on mine and there seems to be basically no options other than the stock rotors when keeping the stock calipers.

Todd, keep us updated on how your mod works.

·
Registered
437 Posts
any update on this Todd?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SRT rotor on RT

Sorry guys yeah it took me awhile but the short answer is yes. I managed to fit the srt 14.2" rotor on the RT with the big brake option.

The only down side is that you have to modify the caliper bracket. The best price I was able to get them for was about 30 bucks.

So you need to either modify your brackets or get a new set that are modified.

Then you need the adapter bracket that I made.

Finally new pads that turned out being the easy part.

My mock up part was ok but now I'm having it Cnc out of 6061 aluminum.

Once I get the bracket done I will post a video of it.

I'm really pleased how it turned out.

Todd

·
Registered
402 Posts
Nice Can't wait. Very interested in this.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Baer makes a slotted and drilled rotor replacement kit for the R/T and a surprisingly low cost. The slots help disburse the gases that build up under the pad and the holes help dissipate the heat.

FYI: Warped rotors are often caused by not tightening the wheel properly. A lot of tire shops just throw the lug nuts on with an impact wrench but never bother to properly set the wrench or follow up with a torque wrench.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Larger rotor for RT

Thanks, there are several companies that make slotted and or cross drilled rotors. I understand the torque specs for for the tire but to be honest that is very rare. I have owned a Chrysler 300 since 05 and put on about 45,000 km's per year the thing that i feel the problem is that the wall thickness of the rotors on the 300's and challengers and charges is they are too thin. It may not sound like much but the difference between the two rotors is enough to reduce warpage and provide better heat dispensation. So it is only time and a little money for the mod. Will not hurt anything and can only improve. I'm interested to see how well this will work on the 300 with the miles that o on the car.

SRT Rotor 14.2 diameter x 1.26 thick

RT Rotor 13.6 diameter x 1.15 thick

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,121 Posts
Baer makes a slotted and drilled rotor replacement kit for the R/T and a surprisingly low cost. The slots help disburse the gases that build up under the pad and the holes help dissipate the heat.
raVenX
Who sells the Baer rotor kit to use with stock calipers?
I did a google search but could'nt find a source.
Thanks

·
Registered
896 Posts
Bumping a good thread.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Besides Hawk, who makes a good pad to go with these?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I went with the Xtreme Stop rotors on the front of mine .:Cross drilled and slotted brake rotors Xtremestop:.. There is a significant difference in bite and when they get hot, they bite even harder. I haven't experienced any fade at all with them yet.

You have to buy them through a reseller, but I just contacted xtremestop directly and they put me in touch with a reseller close to me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts