Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined this forum. My 2018 sxt was reversed into by a Chevy Tahoe. Wanted to know about a rough estimate to get it repaired. They are willing to pay cash to get repaired for me I also have full coverage. What are some recommendations?

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Stars & Stripes Scatpack
186 Posts
I just had a similar issue where someone backed into the passenger side bumper and fender of my 2019 PCP gt. Thankfully the bumper didn't crack and damage was cosmetic. Bill came to around $1300

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If they are going to pay cash, they can pay the final bill. The car needs to be torn down and evaluated.

I'm a professional collision tech, I'm going to say $3,000+ if you go to a competent shop, under $2,000 if you go to the typical shop that really isn't qualified to change wiper blades.

I would demand that the car be 3 dimensionally measured.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,768 Posts
I hate that the insurance companies now even do their estimates by pictures.... I'm going to take a WAG (Wild Ass Guess) at this at between 4000 and 4500. Take it to a good shop, have the perpetrator of this crime meet you there and get the estimate.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,712 Posts
If they are going to pay cash, they can pay the final bill. The car needs to be torn down and evaluated.

I'm a professional collision tech, I'm going to say $3,000+ if you go to a competent shop, under $2,000 if you go to the typical shop that really isn't qualified to change wiper blades.

I would demand that the car be 3 dimensionally measured.
Agree with OregonScat. My advice in these case is to turn the car over to a highly regarded/highly recommended body repair shop -- ideally one that specializes in besides other cars your car -- and let the body shop evaluate the extent of the car's damage.

Unfortunately I have some experience in this area and invariably the initial estimate proves to be too low. The final cost won't be known until you have had a chance to review the car after it is repaired and either find the work acceptable and accept the car or find the repair unacceptable and reject the car and send it back to be repaired properly. If you have to send it back more damage might be found and the body shop will have to submit another claim to the insurance company.

For instance upon inspecting my Porsche Turbo after a mule deer encounter repair the tech at the dealer removed the bumper cover and found some damage that the body shop missed. He then pulled the new head light assembly and found the connector holder at the back of the housing broken. This required a new headlight wiring harness and a new headlight platform. This required a good amount of labor to then properly align the headlight.

A 10% or more under estimate of the initial damage appraisal is quite common.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts