Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if this was just normal for the car. My 2018 SXT has 4.5k miles on it and when the transmission is under 80 degrees or so it shifts pretty rough from gears 1-3 until it warms up then shifts really smooth. I took it to two dealerships, the first said no problem the second said it was low on Transmission fluid, but that didn't fix it and then they did a quick learn for the TCM. It still does it now, but just not as bad, but it may just getting warmer.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,683 Posts
Reactions: RocketRob99

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
I was wondering if this was just normal for the car. My 2018 SXT has 4.5k miles on it and when the transmission is under 80 degrees or so it shifts pretty rough from gears 1-3 until it warms up then shifts really smooth. I took it to two dealerships, the first said no problem the second said it was low on Transmission fluid, but that didn't fix it and then they did a quick learn for the TCM. It still does it now, but just not as bad, but it may just getting warmer.
I don't know where you live, but here in Maryland the first few minutes of driving my car in the cold seems like I'm in Super Sport mode. Yes, high revs at low speed, but it is only the first few minutes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know where you live, but here in Maryland the first few minutes of driving my car in the cold seems like I'm in Super Sport mode. Yes, high revs at low speed, but it is only the first few minutes.
So, I live in Northern VA. I know what you mean it just jumps slightly while its cold. I want to say its slipping or lag while its cold. It revs up about 500 rpm and then shifts.

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Being in the northeast, I also experience this even after sitting for a few warming up. That first pull away from the driveway.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
I have not. Do you think that is needed? :crying:
Guys,

If your transmission gets out of it's funk after a couple of minutes of driving when it's cold, that is normal.

Reactions: sdr2711

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So with winter 2.0, it started doing it again even after taking it to the dealership doing a quick learn. Hopefully it is just normal, I just haven't had a car do this before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think everybody has experienced this. The first time I drove mine, I had been driving a Durango for the previous 4 years and it was a major difference in shifting. I've gotten used to it now.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
If it's less than 60deg mine does it and it is pretty annoying. Really feels like something is wrong. Dealer says it is normal. Dodge ought to fix it through a software update or something because it really make you question quality, durability, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reading all the other threads it looks like they just waited until an error popped up before attempting to fix. I agree with the durability, wouldn't this cause premature wear?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Which transmission on 2017 SXT?

Same problem here -- motor revs up about 300 to 500/min between 1-2, 2-3, sometimes 3-4 shifts on the first two miles only since march at 5000 miles. I contacted the local ZF dealership, they asked for transmission information. (In case of the Chrysler type transmission the ZF dealer can't help me.) I shot a few pictures from under the car, got a number (on driver side): P846A00154401

Is the 2017 Challenger SXT equipped with a ZF 8HP45 or the 845RE 8-shift transmission, the Chrysler version of the 8HP45? How can I find out exactly, is there another nameplate on the housing (where)?

At least - having read the various threads about this topic - for now I'm glad to know that the fault is quite common, doesn't seem to increase and will - hopefully - not cause future problems.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,683 Posts
845RE ‐ Chrysler manufactures the 845RE transmission in their Kokomo IN plant under license from ZF for 3.6L V6 applications. All Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep & Ram

8HP70 ‐ Chrysler sources from ZF – 3.0L Diesel / 5.7L / 6.4L All Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep & Ram

8HP90 ‐ Chrysler sources from ZF – 6.2L Hellcat Challenger / Charger

A Guy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for your help.

(Unfortunately ZF can't help me now, because they have no access to the Chrysler/Dodge programming of the transmission.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts