Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Stars & Stripes Scatpack
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this I a question for those who have an RT or scat pack and drive them daily even in dreaded snow.

I currently own a challenger GT and I am considering upgrading to either an RT or an RT scat pack 392 however my GT is my daily driver currently and whatever replaces it would also be a daily driver. I know there's a lot more power of course with those cars 385 and 485 hp so I thought I'd get some first hand opinions.

I'm looking at a stars and stripes edition 2019 392 black on black.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More or less if any of you have any concerns or problems with controlling the car with that much horsepower in the snow and or rain

Any problems using your car as a daily driver in those conditions?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
More or less if any of you have any concerns or problems with controlling the car with that much horsepower in the snow and or rain

Any problems using your car as a daily driver in those conditions?
I don't know how the winters are in your area, but the factory tires, even the "All-season" Goodyears, are not adequate for real winter driving. Good winter tires are your friend. Otherwise, no issues. Even with the slightly lower height of a Scat Pack, SRT or R/T with super track pack suspension, it takes some seriously deep snow to slow you down. The lip spoiler is very strong and just plows through. Just don't go hitting hard packed snow banks or ice ruts obviously. I'd say drive carefully but that goes for any vehicle.

As for controlling the car, it's no more difficult than my 5.7L I had before, or even my old Ram. These cars are stable and hug the road very well, even in slippery conditions. Remember just because you have 485hp doesn't mean you have to use it. It's all in your right foot and your driving style.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info that's what I expected but nothing like first hand knowledge from other owners.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have a Scat Pack and a GT. I’m not sure how much snow you get where you are. It will also depend on how hilly it is where you live. Something as simple as a bunch of traffic lights on an uphill section of road can kill you.
The GT makes a far better daily driver. It’s quiet, gets way better gas mileage, cheaper insurance and has a much nicer ride, especially on rough roads. I’m always shocked how rough my SP rides when I haven’t driven it for a while. When I only had the SP it never seemed rough but when you drive them back to back it’s obvious.
If you can only have one buy a set of snow tires to get you through the winter. The rest of the year will be pure bliss.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've got a Scat Pack I drive year round in Chicago winters (going on 5 years now). Get a nice set of summer tires for your stock rims and enjoy the extra traction in summer. Get a set of 18 X 8 rims and snow tires for the winter. I have the Moda rims and the Blizzaks. Narrow tires will work good in the snow. No need to have 9.5 wheels. The Challengers are heavy and with snow tires I find they do very well in the snow. I've had a Jeep Wrangler, various FWD, AWD, and RWD cars in the past and I was surprised how well the Challenger with all that horsepower does in snow.

I wouldn't even attempt to drive year round on all season tires with this car. I'd rather spend the money and enjoy the ride more both in summer and winter. I found my winter tires and rims on CL for $400 with two seasons on them, so there are deals out there if you can't go new. Safe insurance to avoid putting it in ditches!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pay the GT off and keep it, then buy the car you want if you don't want to make 2 car payments.
Thanks guys for all the info it's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Unfortunately keeping the GT and Scat would be more then I want I just purchased a 2019 Jeep renegade for the girlfriend. at this time it would be one or the other. the call of that 6.4 is very tempting.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I live in Florida where it's very wet all the time. Good wider-than-stock all-seasons, and dedicated winter tires if you get an actual winter, are your friends. So is putting the car in eco mode when you're just tooling around town so it starts from a stop in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys this I a question for those who have an RT or scat pack and drive them daily even in dreaded snow.

I currently own a challenger GT and I am considering upgrading to either an RT or an RT scat pack 392 however my GT is my daily driver currently and whatever replaces it would also be a daily driver. I know there's a lot more power of course with those cars 385 and 485 hp so I thought I'd get some first hand opinions.

I'm looking at a stars and stripes edition 2019 392 black on black.
I own the 2018 RT CHARGER. I daily drive it everywhere. The power is great, I never drove one of the v6’s. I can play around with others in their mustangs and Camaro’s, some of them, I can’t hang with. Overall, I love my Charger.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,741 Posts
Performance car in snow?! Unheard of!

A Guy

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Performance car in snow?! Unheard of!

View attachment 985307

A Guy
While you CAN do it.......the question is......why would you?

I wouldn't be able to get out of my own driveway in the snow in the Challenger, the slight up hill grade would all but impossible and I've got two big ass granite pillars that are very unforgiving if you hit 'em on either side of the entrance.I'm sure I could do it in an AWD 6 cylinder Challenger but while others may see it differently......I don't see a 6 cylinder AWD Challenger as a car I'd ever buy. It just doesn't fit MY VISION/IDEA of what these cars are to me. YMMV.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,433 Posts
While 300hp and AWD would make a great car, and I don't fault ANYBODY for wanting/getting one. Personally, I buy my cars for driving. And while nothing is worse than slimy snow/slush/ice on hills with turns (basically ALL of SW PA), I don't worry about it. Actual undrivable days are a handful a year, and I can work around those, or just deal with it. A coworker has a sweet SRT8 YJ, and like a AWD car for daily, but wanted something nice. He ended up with a nice 300S AWD. But as mentioned, TIRES make a huge difference. Power doesn't matter, that is up to your right foot, 150HP is too much for snow if you hammer it. If you want a V8 and were willing to spend the extra for AWD, put that money into a nice set of winter rims and actual winter snow tires, not all-season, SNOW TIRES. That is what I do for my wife's XT5 with AWD, it has 20s, but I have a set of 18s with full on winter tires. HUGE difference in traction, braking and cornering in bad stuff.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

I wouldn't be able to get out of my own driveway in the snow in the Challenger, the slight up hill grade would all but impossible and I've got two big ass granite pillars that are very unforgiving if you hit 'em on either side of the entrance.I'm sure I could do it in an AWD 6 cylinder Challenger but while others may see it differently......I don't see a 6 cylinder AWD Challenger as a car I'd ever buy. It just doesn't fit MY VISION/IDEA of what these cars are to me. YMMV.
Plenty of YT videos of even 4 wheel/AWD drive cars sliding on slick pavement. Tires are the key. Not how many drive wheels there are.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,741 Posts
As a California resident born and raised...I can only imagine driving (much less living) in snow, slush, ice...

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 6.4 WK
102 Posts
Where I live it doesn't snow, but lots of rain in the winter. When it's wet I just can't use as much throttle at lower speeds.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
5 Posts
There is no snow where I live, but we do get heavy rains and flooding. When it rains enough to flood I take my truck, otherwise I just launch in 2nd gear (M6) and I am really gentle with the throttle. FWIW I am still on the stock goodyear all-season 245's (they are almost worn out YAY!) and they suck for just about anything so I am pretty comfortable with sketchy launches and loss of traction.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts

These cars are great in snow, even without AWD. Either there is something wrong with your car or your driveway is a 45 degree angle haha.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts