Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Maybe with legit snow tires lol. All I know is that the the stock tires will SLIIIIDEEEEEE on the slightest sight of ice haha. Rain is no issue, ice and snow, nope, not without tires.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I lived in the snow belt (northern and central Illinois) for 66 of my 74 years. That's 50 of the 58 years I've been driving. I've never owned/driven a 4WD and have never had an issue in snow with all season tires. I haven't driven my '13 R/T in snow (we now winter in an area without snow); but, if I were in that situation I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Obviously, the scat pack will give you a huge stepup in power and acceleration time, but it costs a sizable amount more. If you arent looking to constantly pay for fuel, get an RT as they do not require 91 premium fuel only like the scat pack. Even better, get an automatic and utilize the MDS system in it. However I must say i like the look of the scat pack way better than the RT

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It only snows once or twice a year at most (none this year so far). The biggest issue is ice. I have two steep hills to get out of my community and with AS tires it's work from home day for me if I can't get up those hills. I no problem in the snow since it's typically just a few inches.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I lived in the snow belt (northern and central Illinois) for 66 of my 74 years. That's 50 of the 58 years I've been driving. I've never owned/driven a 4WD and have never had an issue in snow with all season tires. I haven't driven my '13 R/T in snow (we now winter in an area without snow); but, if I were in that situation I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.
And I lived in MO (east of KC MO) for around 3 years back in the 2000 to 2003 time frame. When I first moved there -- after having lived in CA since 1971 -- I asked new co-workers about snow tires. Was assured none were needed.

So it snowed. My Mustang on all season tires -- factory sanctioned tires -- was unable to even leave the apartment parking lot.

I won't count the time I got caught in a bad snow storm in my Boxster on summer tires.

Then I moved back to CA. But occasionally on road trips back east I'd encounter snowy conditions.

On a road trip back east after spending the night in a hotel in Williams AZ almost lost my VW Golf when the all season tires (factory sanctioned tires) lost grip on a snowy/icy slick frontage road turn. Reflexive counter steering and some application of throttle -- front wheel drive car -- pulled the car off the shoulder back on the road.

Another time heading west on I-40 leaving OK and entering the panhandle of TX ran into icy condition. I was in my 2006 GTO on all season tires. (Again factory sanctioned tires.) Decided it was time to get off the freeway when I would let off the gas and the rear tires would slide from engine compression braking alone.

No accidents fortunately but all season tires is a gamble. You have been fortunate (lucky) to avoid any incidents.

But YT is full of videos of winter accidents with a number of vehicles on the wrong tires. In some cases the video is from the point of view of another vehicle and while it is under control one can see an oncoming vehicle lose control and heading straight for the car with the dash cam. In a few cases the driver of the dash cam car is able to swerve/brake and avoid (if only by the skin of his teeth) contact. In these cases and other videos in which vehicles are able to brake/maneuver to avoid collision it is pretty clear snow tires are in use.

However, in other cases what are almost certainly "all season" tires that were "adequate" suddenly prove to not be and the oncoming vehicle smashes into the filming car as the filming car is unable to avoid the collision and in some cases rather than the accident being a head on collision the filming car gets sideways and the oncoming out of control vehicle t-bones the cam car. In some cases immediately after the collision the screams from the injured occupants is horrible.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Yeah, winter tires are important on a Challenger. But you know what, they're important on any vehicle. Some vehicles, especially 4WD ones, are just better at hiding the fact that you have diminished traction if you're on all-seasons. Sure it's easier to get moving with 4WD, but at some point you might have to stop or turn quickly. So even if I drove a 4x4 Jeep, I would still run winter tires. Then you'd really have no worries.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Stars & Stripes Scatpack
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you all for the words of wisdom. Today I but the bullet and upgraded to a 2019 pitch black stars & stripes edition scat pack! All I can say is night and day from my prior sxt and GT. Loads of power I was amazed how easily I got up to 45-60 without even trying to.

Here she is just got to remove and eBay those yellow protectors

·
Registered
937 Posts
Thank you all for the words of wisdom. Today I but the bullet and upgraded to a 2019 pitch black stars & stripes edition scat pack! All I can say is night and day from my prior sxt and GT. Loads of power I was amazed how easily I got up to 45-60 without even trying to.
View attachment 985967

Nice!! Yeah man, you'll never look back after driving one of the 392's. When I was shopping for my car, I test drove my SRT first, then an SXT Plus, and then the SRT again. Obviously you can tell which one I went home with! Not that the SXT is a slouch, I was surprised just how peppy the thing was for a V6. But for me, there was no replacing that V8.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Nice!! Yeah man, you'll never look back after driving one of the 392's. When I was shopping for my car, I test drove my SRT first, then an SXT Plus, and then the SRT again. Obviously you can tell which one I went home with! Not that the SXT is a slouch, I was surprised just how peppy the thing was for a V6. But for me, there was no replacing that V8.
I drove 2 different V6 Camaro’s (2013 and 2017 RS’s) for 6 years. There’s no comparison whatsoever, the Scat Pack is the most fun I’ve ever had driving a car.

Reactions: Spartan040

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I assume you mean keeping it clean? I always wanted a black challenger so I could do a full black out at least that was the plan. Since this one is a stars and stripes edition with matte black and silver stripe I'm debating on accenting it in some way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congrats to you and hope you enjoy
View attachment 985967

congrats! Hope she
I assume you mean keeping it clean? I always wanted a black challenger so I could do a full black out at least that was the plan. Since this one is a stars and stripes edition with matte black and silver stripe I'm debating on accenting it in some way.
I think it looks great already. Of course its your choice but still good luck and hope she lasts you many!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hopefully this will help you. I live in Buffalo NY and I daily drive my 17 Challenger RT (5.7L) all year round for the most part (recently purchased a old Jeep WK for deep snow).

In the winter time I run snow tires on and I add som extra weight in the back of the trunk and the challenger performs very well. Most people are afraid of driving RWD in the snow but they fail to realize people have been doing it for years.
Tires will make the biggest difference. I did a video on YouTube talking about it more and showing some footage of me driving in snow.

Video Here - can you really drive a Dodge Challenger in the snow OmegaGreed

Reactions: Darkover

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys this I a question for those who have an RT or scat pack and drive them daily even in dreaded snow.

I currently own a challenger GT and I am considering upgrading to either an RT or an RT scat pack 392 however my GT is my daily driver currently and whatever replaces it would also be a daily driver. I know there's a lot more power of course with those cars 385 and 485 hp so I thought I'd get some first hand opinions.

I'm looking at a stars and stripes edition 2019 392 black on black.
i drove home from work about a month ago when there was 3” of snow. any incline and it’s near impossible to keep the car moving. lots of hp and 0 traction. if it’s just a dusting of snow it’s not too bad. i have stock all season 275’s

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,357 Posts
I have 315 nittos on the back and if temps hit around 60F it's easy to smoke them. For me I am more worried about salt/brine on the road and not the snow which is why I have a jeep liberty as a winter beater.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i drove home from work about a month ago when there was 3” of snow. any incline and it’s near impossible to keep the car moving. lots of hp and 0 traction. if it’s just a dusting of snow it’s not too bad. i have stock all season 275’s
RWD lol ?‍♂ still if its a little but of snow you could probably do it with some difficulty but tbh dont even bother buying a challenger if you live in heavy snow.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a scat that I drive year round. We live in Oregon so the snow we get is not more than 2-3 inches at a time except last year we got about 21 where we live. I put on about 12k a year and work from home so only drive it on the weekends when the car club has events. It does not perform too badly in any weather but again there is a big difference between 1-2 in of snow and 3-4 in of snow as the clearance on these cars are not much even if you could have traction you wont be doing much driving if there is more than a couple in on the ground.

Ron

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks again everyone. Im in Maryland so snow has been light this year but can range from 1" or less to the occasional 2ft I have been driving V6 chargers and challengers in the weather for several years all were RWD so your answers are what I expected. So far the scat pack drives amazingly I'm loving it. Handles good in the rain now needs a good wash thanks to all the rain this past week.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hey guys this I a question for those who have an RT or scat pack and drive them daily even in dreaded snow.

I currently own a challenger GT and I am considering upgrading to either an RT or an RT scat pack 392 however my GT is my daily driver currently and whatever replaces it would also be a daily driver. I know there's a lot more power of course with those cars 385 and 485 hp so I thought I'd get some first hand opinions.

I'm looking at a stars and stripes edition 2019 392 black on black.
Well I live in MI and I can tell you with the Nittos 555 series tires forget it in the snow. I never drive it in winter I use my Jeep and store it but when there has been some snow and I have been caught just before storing it - no way. Can't even get up my driveway.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts