Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,433 Posts
RWD lol ?‍♂ still if its a little but of snow you could probably do it with some difficulty but tbh dont even bother buying a challenger if you live in heavy snow.
There is more to driving in/on snow then RWD hindering you. Out of all the wrecks in the snow, how many are because they can't pull out fast in a RWD? They are probably over 90% with not stopping or turning. And most of them are SUVs!
Simple, you need tires with deep tread, and time to think. And the ability to use both of them.
(Man, I hope I don't wreck in the snow this winter, I'll look like a dolt!)
I did get in a wreck on snowy/icy roads in my 2015 Charger. I stopped cleanly on ice at a red light, and got rear ended seconds later by a Ford Escape AWD.
I think AWD should be banned from driving in the snow. They are typically purchased by people afraid of snow, and think it will solve their problems. And they are the ones crawling around down a hill, then approaching the next one at idle wondering why they slip, then immediately floor it when they don't move.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
RWD lol ?‍♂ still if its a little but of snow you could probably do it with some difficulty but tbh dont even bother buying a challenger if you live in heavy snow.
Lol what exactly? Rear wheel drive is normal. If you have serious difficulty driving it in snow, then you either need to re-evaluate your driving technique and/or the tires you are using. Otherwise, driving in winter isn't for you.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
They are typically purchased by people afraid of snow, and think it will solve their problems.
Exactly. What's worse is that the automakers know people think like that, and take full advantage of them. They go so far as to market it as a safety feature, which is completely wrong. It might even be the opposite of that, as some people get a false sense of security from it and use it as a crutch.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Well at least it's not locked away in a garage, doomed to stare at a wall most of it's life and not get driven and enjoyed. That would really be sad.
Yep, snow is just rain that falls slower and drains slower. I love snow, I love driving on it, during it. But man, I hate salt!
I even hate walking on it. A couple years ago, maybe 2015? Don't my blue calipers look nice...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well at least it's not locked away in a garage, doomed to stare at a wall most of it's life and not get driven and enjoyed. That would really be sad.
Really disappointing to see how collectors will buy a really nice and rare car such as a shelby cobra and just lock it away in a garage. If you wont drive your challenger, please sell to someone who will.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Really disappointing to see how collectors will buy a really nice and rare car such as a shelby cobra and just lock it away in a garage. If you wont drive your challenger, please sell to someone who will.
That doesn't bother me, there are plenty of others out there to buy, if they want to watch it depreciate, fine with me.
That is how in 2015 I picked up a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire with 5,300 miles for about $40,000 less than MSRP, PLUS inflation! Those were some damn expensive miles for someone! Then I racked up 9,000 miles in about 10 months and traded it on a SLK350.

·
Registered
16 srt
3 Posts
I Dailyed 3 Different SRTs one of wich was a manual in Tacoma for nearly 6 years as others have said snow tires are a must only time i had trouble was after a ice storm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tyres are the key. I have driven a Lancia Delta integrale for the last 25 yrs. Small hatch, with 215bhp turbo charged 2 ltr - a lot of power then. But 4WD - torsen rear diff, viscous centre diff. Group A rally verson won the WRC seven times.

On normal tyres in the wet cnow we get here in the UK - struggled to go up a gentle hill. If you made it, you then couldn't steer or slow down - the aBS kicked in immediately indicating no grip.

However, I stuck some cheap winter remoulds on it ( decent tyres at the time were £80-£100 each for 205/50/15. These remoulds were £20. And absolutely fantastic. Could get body roll on corners on snow! Had to be really agressive on the brakes to get the ABS to trigger.

In those 25yrs, I've been stopped once by snow - it was deep enough to build up underneath and lift the front too high to get any grip.

Lots of amusing tales of using that grip - LAnd Rover drivers being annoyed at being over-taken and blowing the horn with various hand gestures . . . then tailgating me when I have to slow in traffic later on - and then under-steering off the road when turning into the same back road I just took safely. Or stopping on a down hill to let a stuck Porsche off-roadery thingie roll back down after coming to a stop - then reversing back up the hill away from it just to be annoying ;)

So while my Challenger stays in the drive on snow days, and the Lancia stays in the garage as it's now worth three times what I paid for it, I use an Alfa Romeo 4WD saloon on winter tyres - it's good, but being half a tonne heavier than the Lancia, with no locking diffs, it's not as much fun. If I could afford the £1500 for a second set of wheels and winter tyres for the Challenger, it'd get used.

·
Registered
60 Posts
And guess who, not 4 hours after posting his Challenger wouldn't get used in snow, got caught in two heavy snowstorms last night?

The only way out of the Aire Valley in the UK, where I live, to get where I need to get last night, climbs several hundred feet in a couple of steep climbs - and despite it not being forecast, or feeling cold enough, the rain at home was snow higher up.

And I have to say I was surprised at the Goodyears on it - the same ones I don't trust in the wet - afraid slower traffic crawling was annoying me, so we had a few overtakes to make - and it didn't trigger the traction control, didn't feel any rear end twitches.

The real annoying thing were the HID headlights covering over with snow and reducing output massively.

I have a pair of snowsocks in the spare wheel well just in-case I get really caught out, but feel a lot less worried about it now.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts