Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, like many, am looking for a new exhaust for my RT with auto transmission. The MDS function on our cars make them unique from the other Challengers so what works well for them does not for us (not wanting to make this a us vs. them issue, just stating fact). So, if you have an RT automatic with MDS still on, please post up videos or sound clips of your exhaust (both inside the cabin while cruising with MDS on and outside), and tell us what you like and what you wish was different. My hope is to help folks in my situation have a single source for information. Thanks to all who post.:thanks:
AFDoc

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dude

Just search the exhaust thread here and you will find all the exhaust Q and A's you could possibly want. Just ask if they are running the MDS or not. You will have days of examples as this topic has been beat down to insanity. For what it's worth, I have the MBRP cool duals and I love it. I took the MDS off as it sounds like a truck with it engaged. As far as drone, well it sounds like the muscle car I wanted it to sound like and do not mind a little cabin drone at certain speeds. Outside the car, It's just plain outright mean at idle with a growl of a '70s original. forget about WOT.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I will be doing this soon, I have Blastin' Bob's glasspack resonator replacements coming tomorrow, according to the tracking, and I should be putting them on about the 1st of the month or so, and I will make a youtube video and post a link to it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Flowmaster

I have Flowmaster Force II on my 2010 RT Auto. I am very happy with it. It sounds great with easy installation and a great price! You get to use your original chrome tips which hides the fact that you have swapped out the original system (until you start it up). This system has resonators which cuts down on drone. This is a slight change in the tone of the exhaust when MDS kicks. You will not hear it if the stereo is on. This system has a lot of grunt to it but is not "screaming loud" which is what I prefer. There are a few "You Tube" clips on this system. Try this clip.

Stevo :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
When I had my 09 RT w/auto transmission I ended up getting the Magnaflow 16513 (street series) that has resonators. No it wasn't ear shattering loud, but gave a nice deep rumble..........night and day different from the stock auto exhaust and would say that it was slightly louder than the stock exhaust on the 6 speed cars with only very slight drone. I had a different aftermarket exhaust on my auto before that one, and though I really liked the overall tone and loudness, the drone (interior resonance @1800-2000rpm) had gotten to be annoying. I currently have the Flowmaster Force II system on my 6 speed, and would recommend it for a car with an auto tranny as well, without hesitation.:bigthumb: Pretty much the same deal, nice rumble and louder than stock, but not ear splitting. Just be forewarned that the MDS "buzz" tone will come through more clearly with any aftermarket systems although, not as noticeable with the ones I mentioned.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I installed the magna flow street series, had it on for about two months, wasn't as loud as I would have liked. I removed the rear resonators and put in 2 1/2 straight pipe, it sounds awesome now. I do have the predator and took off the MDS, but a buddy of mine has the same system, heard mine and wanted the same thing. He still has the MDS on, said the sound is amazing, can't beleive the difference and doesn't really notice the droan. I like the way the exhaust winds down with the MDS off, kinda purrs, and sound mean as He** at WOT.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I, like many, am looking for a new exhaust for my RT with auto transmission. The MDS function on our cars make them unique from the other Challengers so what works well for them does not for us (not wanting to make this a us vs. them issue, just stating fact). So, if you have an RT automatic with MDS still on, please post up videos or sound clips of your exhaust (both inside the cabin while cruising with MDS on and outside), and tell us what you like and what you wish was different. My hope is to help folks in my situation have a single source for information. Thanks to all who post.:thanks:
AFDoc
Sorry, no sound or video clips but I've had Corsa catbacks on my car (auto RT) for 1.5 yrs. Pretty quiet (slightly louder than stock) during normal driving, but ROARS at WOT. Add a CAI, even a little louder. Best of all NO DRONE like the most of the others. Good weight loss too. I am very happy with it, no complaints. If you're looking for loud all the time, Corsa is probably not good for you, but there are some newer versions (Extreme?) I am not familiar with. Will go with JBL shorty headers (probably) when ready, the SRT shorties are too expensive unless you get them used from someone. Plus you run the risk of O2 warnings with the SRTs unless you move the sensors.

·
187 Posts
I have gone two routes with my exhaust on my R/T auto. The first was to go the the Blastin Bobs glass-packs. I found it not to be loud enough and the MDS sound was so bad that I reverted to using the auto-stick all the time to avoid the annoying MDS sound.

I recently installed the Magnaflow Competition Series cat-back system, Predator 91 CIA tune and MDS disable. This set up has provided me with the sound that I was searching for when driving my car. It can be really loud so I am betting that most people may not care for it, but hey I like it!

Only you will be able to tell what you can live with. I've listened to all the videos on-line, read peoples feedback, and still ended up going through a couple iterations to get the sound I wanted. You need to be prepared to do the same.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all

for posting. The problem I've run into with u-tube is many times I don't really know what I am listening to; 6-speed or auto, MDS delete?, auto-stick?, SE/SRT?

I'm trying to get some useful posts for RT auto owners so they know what they are listening to, especially those who want to leave MDS on or are unwilling to install a predator tune. Perhaps I'm in the minority and there aren't many (at least here) who want this info. I'll keep looking and hope that like minded people and those that want to help will visit here and post sound clips so that not all of us have to recreate the wheel. thanks again

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
AFDoc
Try going to some local car shows and ask the owners to start them up, maybe even go for a ride. Once you explain why, I doubt most would have a problem with it. Still, the Corsa catback works extremely well with MDS.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The Corsa is on a couple of Chargers and was on my friend's Challenger, and it's the first one I scratched off the list due to the (IMHO) odd tone it has. So far, in person, the one I like the best is the MBRP. Some drone in MDS, but it's tolerable, at least for short trips. That's on my one friend's Challenger now. He's working with his brother to kill the drone by adding mass to the pipes. It looks promising so far, just after one hunk of stainless steel welded to the area behind the X joint. A couple of pounds of 3/16" x 3" (That's what it looked like to me) wrapped around the pipes dropped the pitch down enough it's a really noticeable difference in pitch. It should still be quite a bit lighter than the factory set up once it's finished. He's going to add a hunk in a spiral to each pipe near the end as soon as it warms up enough to not make working in his brother's unheated garage torture, and and see what it does. If he gets the drone gone, or down low enough in pitch, I know what catback I will buy, and just duplicate the added on material and have his brother weld it all up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a R/T with auto and i'm thinking about installing a Borla cat-back system. Has anyone installed one on there R/T? How does it sound?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I plan to install the Cherry Bomb cat back in the near future and tune MDS out. ;)

·
Banned
351 Posts
I've got the flowmaster american thunder and love the sound it produces but it does have some drone it's worst when the car is cold ,other than that the drone is at about 2100 on my auto.If u like it loud go with american thunder

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I had the BB glasspacks put on yesterday. It doesn't seem to have any problems with MDS at all, but there is a resonance between 1500-2000 RPM with about 10% throttle or so. The sound seems to be changing as I put some time and heat through them, so I won't decide what I'm going to do for a while. Right now, I have to say I'm not liking them all that much, but it does sound great when I get on it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Had Corsa on my old R/T auto Drone cruzing down I-79 going in and out of MDS.

Searching the posts here and reading .

Want to upgrade my new R/T but as an OLDER owner want the sound.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I will be recording an in car video in the morning, and will post a link to it as soon as I can. So far, I think I will be going to the Flowmaster cat back, or the MBRP as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Well, I took my camcorder for a ride this morning, and there won't be any videos, as the bass is rolled off to the point you can barely hear the exhaust at all, and really only when I was making full throttle runs. It does take very nice videos though, very clear audio, but little bass. I drove it very hard, trying to get the glasspacks "broken in" by getting them as hot as possible. They were stinking pretty bad when I put the car in the garage, and I could hear them ticking very loudly. The "boomy" noise or "moan" I heard yesterday seems to be going away. I will be driving it hard again Mon morning, and decide what I'm going to do. It does sound nice when it kicks down!

·
Registered
146 Posts
R/T stock exhaust???

I'm looking to sell my stock exhaust from my 2009 R/T from the headers all the way back. A friend of mine who has a 6cyl wants to buy it. Any ideas what it's worth? and If it would even fit?
I'm replacing everything with TTI 1 7/8 Headers and a 3" exhaust.
Has anyone sold there stock exhaust?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts