Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok what's the deal. I was in an RT auto rental car all week in So. Cal. There is no comparison in the amount of sound. The RT is twice as loud if not 3 times louder! The sport button actually works and it is loud all the time. Take it off and it quiets down nicely until you get over 4K or open her up. Track mode is suppose to be wide open in my SRT. It is a little louder at low RPM but nothing like the RT. I want the sound of an RT in my SRT. Is it a different exhaust set up. I know the rental cars are all stock so there are no deletes. I would assume they would be using pretty much the same set up. I would think the bigger 392 would put out more sound and running a 6 speed an higher rpms the SRT would be louder than an RT. Dodge got this ass backwards. RT sounds like a beast on the freeway in sport mode. Get it next to some concrete and pin it and drop 4 gears and sounds like king Richard at Talladega. 392 is more intake, mechanical sound than exhaust. The RT is much more fun around town too. Skinnier tires like to slide and spin a whole lot more. Mine just hooks up and goes. The reason I bought a Challenger was having a couple RT rental cars which make you smile and revert back to high school cruising and trouble make at it's best. In fact I had a little stop light racing fun in Hollywood this week in the rental. Had to hold up the Mopar street cred. He tried jumping me hard off the line and it was a sleeper so I wasn't expecting it all. RT still pulled him and we both gave our thumbs and parted ways like the old days. RT sounds so good at high RPM. If it different mids or mufflers I want them.

·
Registered
361 Posts
In Seattle, you're driving around with the windows up, the heat blaring, while you are wearing a parka and ear muffs, or at least heavy rain gear and a hoody with a cap.

In southern California, you probably had the windows open and maybe even the sun roof too, not to mention, no hat or ear muffs.
It's amazing how much difference that makes... :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
How many miles on the SRT, and how many miles were on the R/T rental?

Your SRT may still be breaking in and need some more miles on it. My '16 SP has 2500 is miles on it now and the exhaust is much better sounding than when new, and getting a little louder still. Drive that SRT! :grin2:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've got an R/T plus and every time I see a challenger with a shaker hood, it sounds 2x as loud as mine sooooo not sure what's up but that is totally the opposite of how I feel. I'll trade you too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
The 2017 5.7's have active exhaust with 2 3/4 pipes same as the 6.4 and they do sound good. Probably just the difference between the engines and tuning that changes the sound. A 6 speed and an A8 would sound different also because of the different tuning, even with the same engine size.

·
Registered
863 Posts
The SRT was designed for old dawgs like me. I want it quiet and soft riding. I enjoy romping the gas at highway speed and ripping loose rubber, but, I don't want it to make a lot of noise. I have sport and track mode for when I want it to feel more like an R/T.
Just my thoughts.
Tom.

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
I haven't driven or been around the latest R/T's with active exhausts.

That said, my '16 Scat Pack has been loud from the start, and got a little louder with some miles on it. Also, when it's very hot out, 90F+, the car gets even louder.

I only drive in Sport Mode though.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The SRT was designed for old dawgs like me. I want it quiet and soft riding. I enjoy romping the gas at highway speed and ripping loose rubber, but, I don't want it to make a lot of noise. I have sport and track mode for when I want it to feel more like an R/T.
Just my thoughts.
Tom.
You could be right. Maybe the SRT has different mufflers than the Scat and 392 T/A's. I haven't been in an SRT. I have been in a 392 T/A and it sounded just as loud as my R/T.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Oops double post.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I can offer some perspective. I've owned both A8 and manual Scat Packs with the active exhaust and I can tell you there is more cabin drone with the auto and the auto also has a louder start up exhaust burst. This has to do with the way the auto holds RPMs vs the manual. I have to try harder to make my manual drone when cruising vs driving with the A8. The A8 also pops more when you let off the throttle because it holds RPMs so well. If you're behind the car outside, they are equally as loud.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I just looked up the mufflers. They are different SRT and R/T.
As below shows.

SRT
Muffler
Muffler & Pipe Assembly
Trans Code DEC
5181992AL $2650.00Trans Code DFK
68257033AH $2885.00
R/T
Muffler
Muffler & Pipe Assembly
Right
Engine Code EZC
68260153AA $785.00Engine Code EZH
68260149AA $854.00Left
Engine Code EZC
68260152AA $1400.00Engine Code EZH
68260148AA $1415.00

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly what I was looking for Tomkat. Good info

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A buddy of mine had an RT rental in CA this week too. He said the same thing. In sport mode the RT sounds like it is running Cherry Bombs. The auto does have the drone but if you turn off sport it is gone instantly. Auto holding the RPM's does make it fart and pop more for sure. The 392 has a deeper lower growl more than the wail or the RT. I have never heard my car from the outside but the neighbors have all said something-all positive. Mostly "That sounds like and old school muscle car".

·
Registered
188 Posts
...Skinnier tires like to slide and spin a whole lot more. Mine just hooks up and goes...
That's because it is only driving one wheel. You have to special order a limited slip rear end on a 5.7 from what I have researched. Sounds like you had fun with your lower end Dodge rental. Going fast is only part of the experience, sights and sounds is just as important for a good driving experience.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I can offer some perspective. I've owned both A8 and manual Scat Packs with the active exhaust and I can tell you there is more cabin drone with the auto and the auto also has a louder start up exhaust burst. This has to do with the way the auto holds RPMs vs the manual. I have to try harder to make my manual drone when cruising vs driving with the A8. The A8 also pops more when you let off the throttle because it holds RPMs so well. If you're behind the car outside, they are equally as loud.
Which experience do you prefer sound wise? Sounds like the less drone with the manual might be more pleasant.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The A8 Scat definitely has drone.

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
I drive mine in Sport Mode all the time. There is a drone at 55-60mph, but it's not like the MDS drone.

At 65+ it's a quiet interior. WOT = Hemi heaven sound. These are loud cars from the outside.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes, the drone isn't severe, and the sweet sound from the pipes makes it worth it, to me.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Which experience do you prefer sound wise? Sounds like the less drone with the manual might be more pleasant.
My wife noticed it immediately when she rode in my new M6 for the first time last weekend. She likes the M6 sound better... The A8's Sport mode drone isn't intolerable, it's a constant reminder that you have a sweet engine. I like the M6 since I can control the drone more. It certainly wouldn't be the reason I'd buy a manual over the TorqueFlite though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts