Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who still build model cars I just discovered that AMT makes a 1/25 kit of the 2010 RT Classic. Properly detailed except it doesn't have an engine.
Nice thing is it's molded in white so you can paint to match your car.
Web search for AMT Dodge Challenger 2010 RT Classic should help you find the closest place that has them.
Got mine ordered from Amazon.
Now I just hope my old eyes are still up to the task of building it.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I saw that in a Hobby Lobby near me. Mine is STONEWHITE so all I'd need to do is stripe it. Do you have any pictures of your finished project?

·
Registered
464 Posts
My boys bought me one, it turned out pretty nice.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
To: STONEWHITE R/T
It will be a while before I post any pictures of the finished model as Amazon just shipped it yesterday and it is not supposed to arrive before February 12. After that due to time constraints it will take a few weeks to build. If it turns out as nice as R/T CLASSIC'S model I'll be very happy.
One piece of advice STONEWHITE R/T, is you should paint your model as the decals always stick better to paint than to the raw plastic.
I don't know why that is , but it has been my experience.

Yes I was that geeky kid who was always at home building models rather than playing outside. :)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
My boys bought me one, it turned out pretty nice.

YOWSA! That turned out pretty nice.How much painting did you actually have to do? You detailed it very nicely.
I had model cars all over my room when I was a kid. Shelves of them. MPC were my favorites. A little more detailed. I would take my allowance or paper throwing money and buy several new ones each weekend. Friday night I was at the kitchen table painting and assembling my cars. Even did a few planes. But mostly cars. Even got to the point of using thread for plug wires and cables. Now I couldn't see the tips of a dist. cap for nothing. I never had any trouble with the decals on the bare plastic. Just make sure it was clean and your finger oils are off of it. When I left home they all went into a barrel and that was the last I saw of them all. Don't know what my dad did with them but they are gone. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks STONEWHITE R/T :
I never thought about the finger oils. Our apartment when I was younger wasn't air conditioned and faced south, so you'd be sweating up a storm all summer.
That's probably what caused my decal problems.
I hear you on not seeing the distributor cap ends. That's one of my concerns when it comes to detailing the kit's interior. Will I be able to see door handles , switches etc. to even paint them?
Might be time to invest in one of those magnifying glass / halogen light combos.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Get one of those large circle magnifiers that are on an adjustable set of "arms". My wife used one for needle work. They are lighted and work well. You can use them in the garage on a lot of things.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I bought one but I returned it immediately after finding out it didn't have an engine...WTF. I so wanted to build a B5 Blue Classic to mock mine in the garage.........booooooooo

Less parts...more cost. Serioulsy made in China at pennies on the dollar and I can't an old school model where I can't build and detail an engine........geeeeeze

·
Registered
319 Posts
That's the problem with model kits today - they're too simple. You just get a box of 15 pcs with absolutely no detail.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Theres more than 15 parts. Shop some specialty stores, not sure if there is a Challenger available yet. Saw a model of a 57 Chevy, bare gray plastic, something like 650 parts, thread for wireing diagram, so the detail is there. only $599.00 So if you want a detailed model, they are out there. Oh, that does not include paint, adhesive, or glue.

·
Registered
464 Posts
YOWSA! That turned out pretty nice.How much painting did you actually have to do? You detailed it very nicely.
I had model cars all over my room when I was a kid. Shelves of them. MPC were my favorites. A little more detailed. I would take my allowance or paper throwing money and buy several new ones each weekend. Friday night I was at the kitchen table painting and assembling my cars. Even did a few planes. But mostly cars. Even got to the point of using thread for plug wires and cables. Now I couldn't see the tips of a dist. cap for nothing. I never had any trouble with the decals on the bare plastic. Just make sure it was clean and your finger oils are off of it. When I left home they all went into a barrel and that was the last I saw of them all. Don't know what my dad did with them but they are gone. :scratchhead:
You will have to paint everything, it is molded in white or chrome. One beer to calm the nerves, not two- it makes you "think" you are doing better than you are! I found that a toothpick dabbed in flat black and rolling it around the window trim filled in those area's very well.

AMT models are display models. I found that the details they did not have I could add. Made a Zebra wood pistol grip for the tranny, ground off the "suit case" muffler and used some of the large diameter Spru material to put 6 speed mufflers under it. Cut off the resonators and made some replacement pipes just like mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts