Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I installed my RT exhaust. The car looks and sounds tons better! However, I want to make it a bit louder. Has anyone gone a step farther than just installing the rt exhaust and what were the results? Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Depending on how much louder you want to go, you might just let the R/T system get "burned in" to see if it will be as loud as you are wanting. My 2009 R/T exhaust got a noticeable bit louder after I put a few thousand miles on it. I did put an SRT Corsa system on mine which really rock n rolls, but my G/F's 2010 PCP R/T is getting a little louder too now that she's put some miles on hers

·
Registered
180 Posts
Be careful...some have ended up with a resonance sound after changing the stock RT's mufflers...That can be a real annoying sound while driving....

I have the stock RT 6 speed exhaust on mine. Has a nice sound under acceleration and pretty quiet at speeds. Which did you go with, the automatic "suit case" or the 6 speed "bottle" mufflers?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the exhaust was on a rt for 15,000 miles or so, so its pretty well run in. It was on an automatic rt with the suitcase muffller. I was thinking about cutting the suitcase out and putting a more sporty muffler in place of it. Hopefully louden it up a little bit and give it a more throaty tone. As of right now, no drone whatsoever.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Depends what kind of exhaust did you install on your R/T? I installed Magnaflow competition exhaust on my R/T and took out the resonators and it sound awesome, level of loudness on mine 1-10 ten being the highest i am around a 8, 2 being stock

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Try simply folding down the rear seat-backs as it lets a bit more sound into the cabin. ;)

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
remove the resonators if you havent already.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I haven't heard of a V6 that will give you that throaty sound like you are looking for. I put on the Maganflow 16500 with only little improvement, but I really wasn't looking for any sound, just looks. Perhaps the extra sound I am hearing is due to the left pipe on the driver's side.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I think it's pretty well established that this V6 just sounds a bit raspy at the higher RPM's and that an aftermarket exhaust tends to accentuate the slightly ricey sound. There just isn't a way to morph it into a small V8 sounding system, accept at say idle and up to some medium RPM's. Mash it though and you get that raspy sound.

Personally I'll be going with a stock R/T system and be done with it.... again mainly it's a cosmetic change.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree with ChallengerPhil...my SE sounds good but it will never sound like a V8. I understand the 6 speed exhaust is a bit louder than the automatic's because the 6 speed doesn't have to deal with the MDS.

I would think twice about cutting the resonators off...almost guarantied to end up with a drone.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have an R/T exhaust that came off my car and offered it to my dad for his 2010 SE. The dealer says it will void all warranties if he replaces his SE exhaust with the RT exhaust. Yet, I see all of you SE owners are doing it. Do we know for a fact it will NOT void the warranty on the car?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I wonder what it would cost to take them to court?

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
with all the mods I have done to mine, no warranty has been voided.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
for a repair to not be covered under warranty the dealer has to show a failure was caused by any modifications you made.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts