Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, quick question here. I have a chance to pickup a 6 speed RT exhaust for me SE....What do I need to do the install on this? I believe I read that I need to pickup a heat shield? I'm askng because I can get an RT exhaust for cheap and save my money for my wheels.. I searched the site and could not find a quick answer to my question... Thanks for yur help on this.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hey guys, quick question here. I have a chance to pickup a 6 speed RT exhaust for me SE....What do I need to do the install on this? I believe I read that I need to pickup a heat shield? I'm askng because I can get an RT exhaust for cheap and save my money for my wheels.. I searched the site and could not find a quick answer to my question... Thanks for yur help on this.
Quite honestly? Just a decent muffler shop... or are you planning on doing this yourself? There's at least one thread in the SE section on it. In fact there's probably a few and at least one reference to part numbers for hangers and associated hardware.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quite honestly? Just a decent muffler shop... or are you planning on doing this yourself? There's at least one thread in the SE section on it. In fact there's probably a few and at least one reference to part numbers for hangers and associated hardware.
I'm going to have a shop do it, but I didnt want to bring the exhaust down there and have them tell me they cant do it cuz I didnt have something that is required for the install (heat shield for example).

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Here's another thread worth looking through. Yeah just get the stick-on heat shield stuff for the driver's side from Summit, seems to be the best. I think that thread also included the rear valance part number as well. That's easy to pick up from the dealer usually for under $80. Unless you want to use yor stocker and just cut openings.

Also looks like if you get the adapters as shown in the first thread I linked you're in good shape.

It certainly has been done before.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/r-t-exhaust-pix-41413/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Brand new RT exhaust

Wow
was flipping thru threads for ideas on changing my brand new RT exhaust and saw this. Are SE owners in need of RT exhaust takeoff and what are they worth? Mine has less than 300 miles on it. I am an hour south of DC.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Wow
was flipping thru threads for ideas on changing my brand new RT exhaust and saw this. Are SE owners in need of RT exhaust takeoff and what are they worth? Mine has less than 300 miles on it. I am an hour south of DC.
Lots of SE owners are looking for them. Price is pretty much up to the seller/buyer. They can go for "free" to say a few hundred bucks. Biggest problem I see, since I myself am looking for a setup, is that the vast majority of people are not willing to ship the exhaust. Rightfully so, I suppose.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Yeah, it seems that all the take off exhausts are on the coasts around the country in a big U. I found noting in the mid-west, so I just bought new, but would have liked to slap on an R/T system. Too late now.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm getting mine off a guy who lives close by for $100...Install should be around $75, and the heat shield $20....Thanks again for your help Phil

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Stupid question here, this doesn't void the warranty right? Hey Jford make sure you post pics after you get it done. I wanna know how you dig it and how it turned out!

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's a "cat back" system and doesn't void the warranty.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stupid question here, this doesn't void the warranty right? Hey Jford make sure you post pics after you get it done. I wanna know how you dig it and how it turned out!
I should be getting it put on today...Ill also try and go for another muffler as well, but Im not sure which one...I want this exhaust to sound as good as possible, and hoping its not TOO quiet. If you live close by, your more then welcome to come hear it..Ill post pics on here though.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
I put an R/T exhaust on my SE and it didnt void my warranty.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yo JFord!

Did you get it done last weekend?
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yo JFord!

Did you get it done last weekend?
:thumbsup:
Yo YO...I bought the exhaust on Tuesday so I am hoping to get it installed either tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. I went ahead and ordered the heat shield from Summit which is arriving today from what the tracking # is telling me. The shop I was going to have put this on for me is closed on Saturdays, and just my luck, the guy is going out of town tommorrow so he isnt going to have is shop open :icon_evil:. SOooO, I found this shop in Brea that may do it for me on Saturday, Im going to head down there on my lunch today for him to give me an estimate. If his pricing works for me I will just go with him and have him do it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
A shop closed on sat? WTH? Hopefully the Brea place will give you a decent quote so you can that done and over with ha.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, In about an hour, I will be at the muffler shop getting my RT exhaust slapped on. I will see how the exhaust sounds when its installed, and then possibly go with some performance mufflers or whatever else he recommends to make it sound as nice as possible. Last night, believe it or not, I got the entire RT exhaust inside my Chally LOL. I laid down the back seats and just gently threw the exhaust inside the car with the help of my friend. The exhaust goes all the way up to my radio and then stops. Ill post pics of everything later today or this week, and give my thoughts on how the install went.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
cool...looking forward to hearing how it sounds

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cool...looking forward to hearing how it sounds
Ok. I got it installed and I am pleased how it came out. There is a slightly deeper tone to it at certain RPM's, but for the most part, there is not too much change. But yes, I am very happy with the look of course, and the tone is better overall. At this point I want to do something else to it to make it sound even better. I'm pretty much an novice at this, so I dont know If I put on performance muffler like a Flowmaster 40 series, if that would make a world of difference. The exhaust shop I went to said I could put on some glasspacks next time which I have heard of before, but I'm not sure if anyone has done that to there Challenger. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts