Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m at a loss here. I have a 09 RT (auto) with the following mods. (American Thunder Flow Master 40 series with no reso, SLP long tube headers with high flow cats, catch can, 180 t-sat, 6.1 ported intake manifold, Mopar CAI & Trinity – 93 octane tune)

About 2 weeks ago I took my car in for a custom tune/dyno run. Anyway to make a long story short my baseline run prior to the custom tune was 315 rwhp and 342 torque. :icon_evil: HORRIBLE baseline results. After a few more runs and a custom tune my final numbers were still HORRIBLE, 322 rwhp and 347 torque. :scratchhead: Base off my current mods I should be putting down some where around 350ish wrhp and 370ish torque.

I’m at a lost here because I know bone stock RTs are putting down around 330 rwhp . My tuner advised me that she has more power to put out but something holding her back. He advise me to buy a bigger cam as the stock cam is not strong enough to support my current mod. Is this true or not? This does not sound right to me; can someone please give me some insight? Thanks

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Your guy sounds like he knows nothing about 09+ HEMI's.....first off, the cam thing is a farce....the only cam available is not worth its weight in steel....sure it helps a bit, but is not that much larger than the stock VVT.

You have an auto....did they dyno it in DYNO MODE?? if not it is possible the ESP was holding her back either through braking or cutting fuel/timing.

Yes a stocker should be around 330....but that depends on the dyno used....I have seen 300-350...

Look at the mods in my sig...that gives me 392/424 to the tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback 09 R/T .

To tell you the truth I’m not sure if they had it in dyno mode or not. I was not there for the full session. I was thinking about getting a second opinion, maybe I'll get better dyno results. By the why my tuner used a mustang dyno.

After looking at your mods, you are putting down some damn good numbers! wow

·
Registered
35 Posts
It would be interesting to know what your baseline was without any mods so you could compare them to post mod. From reading your post you had your dyno's done with all mods done minus the tune.

With your mods you should be seeing some modest increases, and depending on the dyno being used numbers can be different. It seems that most people adding larger TB's or ported intakes are doing so when adding more serious mods such as FI, or more displacement. I would not be expecting to see much improvement from just the intake. (I could be wrong there are people on here with alot more brain power and experience)

I can understand the disappointment on a dyno. My stock '10 SRT was 353 rwhp and I was hoping it would be a touch higher. However once my mods are done and it is put on the same dyno, I will see what the results are before I decide what the next step is. If the overall improvements fall into my expected range then I will be happy.

Were you happy with driving it before the dyno? Did it feel good? If you did then remember that more than numbers. People get worked up about numbers. Enjoy the car and hope you get things sorted out.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up on dyno numbers. They can be all over the place. If your car performs well for your mods, that is what matters. If you felt the performance was not up to speed or your ET and MPH at the track are not up to par, then there is an issue to chase and the dyno is a great tool. But if the car makes good power and runs like it should (mods considered), I wouldn't worry or spend time & money chasing dyno numbers.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Yup...sounds like the tuner/shop doesn't know much about these cars. As far as the low baseline, that could be due to many factors, type of dyno, conditions yada yada yada. Strap your car down on two different dyno's and you will see much different results.
What type of dyno was used?

That said, a custom tune will not do much for the mods you have the canned tunes are going to be pretty good, until you start doing mods like cam, nitrous or forced induction etc.

What made you go with the ported 6.1? On the 5.7 the eagle manifold is actually very good, on a stock engine I wouldn't expect to see much gain with a ported 6.1 manifold, in fact it could have the opposite effect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To All - I agree with not getting hung up with dyno numbers. However I’m still a little disappointed with the power my car putting out based off my mods, especially after seeing other folks with similar set up.

Unfortunately I did not get a dyno prior to adding my mods, I just fingered bone stock I would be putting doing around 330ish or so and by adding my mods I would get an ext 30-40 more rwhp. I guess my expectation were a little high that’s why I’m taken back with my car not putting down a extra 30 -40 wrhp .........

To SRT8U - they used a mustang dyno

I went with the ported 6.1 manifold for pure looks. I knew by getting by swapping out the 5.7 manifold to the 6.1 would not give me much gain. I don’t not think that’s my over all problem but it something to think about. My next mods will be cam and blower. Before I go that route I want to make sure I get the basic bolt on down first.

Thanks for your feed back.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Ok, well the mustang dyno helps explain the low numbers, mustang dunks will show lower numbers than a dynojet, it doesn't mean yo are making less power they just read differently. If you were to stap down to a dynojet I think you would see higher numbers. Remember dyno's are really just measuring and tuning tools. Let us know if we can help in any way.

To All - I agree with not getting hung up with dyno numbers. However I’m still a little disappointed with the power my car putting out based off my mods, especially after seeing other folks with similar set up.

Unfortunately I did not get a dyno prior to adding my mods, I just fingered bone stock I would be putting doing around 330ish or so and by adding my mods I would get an ext 30-40 more rwhp. I guess my expectation were a little high that’s why I’m taken back with my car not putting down a extra 30 -40 wrhp .........

To SRT8U - they used a mustang dyno

I went with the ported 6.1 manifold for pure looks. I knew by getting by swapping out the 5.7 manifold to the 6.1 would not give me much gain. I don’t not think that’s my over all problem but it something to think about. My next mods will be cam and blower. Before I go that route I want to make sure I get the basic bolt on down first.

Thanks for your feed back.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Take it to the track. Mph will be a better tool for measuring your rwhp.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan on putting her on the track real soon. however today it wil not happen as the weather here in Chicago will not permit .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To achieve my expectation in getting an extra 30 to 40 wrhp, should I take my tuner advice and buy new cam? I was looking at Arrington blue series VVT cam (AMI-CC541) I know this cam is not much bigger than the stock cam but will it give me the power in need ?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I wouldn't go that route yet. What are your goals? 30-40hp based off your numbers or 30-40 up from what you think is normal dyno numbers?
don't get wrapped up in numbers because Dyno numbers are great coversation pieces, but they really aren't the final word if you get my drift.

I just had mine run on the rollers at arringtons during their open house. It made 385TQ and 349HP. I was pretty happy, but is that good? is their dyno stingy or is it a nice dyno? I don't know, but I do know the car has dipped into the 12's a couple times and that is good for me.

you might want to take it to another place and see what they come up with for peace of mind. I just talked to the folks at arringtons during that open house and I was under the impression that the VVT cams are still in testing unless I completely misunderstood them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback Ron P

From what I’ve read on this forum bone stock RTs are putting down 330ish or better. With my current mods I would like to see 30-40 more rwhp from what others are getting on a bone stock RT.

Anyway I’ve may have been looking at this ALL WRONG. When they advertise products, such as CAI, LT headers, can tuner , ect they market how much HP/TQ you will gain from that product , so my expectation were based around those numbers. Error on my part!

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I have always heard that Mustang dynos are low, when compared to a DynoJet. It could easily be (and likely), that your expectations are based on what others have made, and vendors claim, when ran on a DynoJet.

In myh 09 R/T, Bone Stock with exception of Cold Air and Predator Tune (Cervini doesn't add anything from a dyno perspective, as the hood was open, I got 345HP and 370 TQ... on a dyno jet.

Here's the graph. As others have said, it's all relative. And you should try to run on the same dyno as you go through the mod process.. that way everything is still on the same calibration scale etc...

I think if you take your same car and run it on a DynoJet, you'll see the numbers you expect to see.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I’m at a loss here. I have a 09 RT (auto) with the following mods. (American Thunder Flow Master 40 series with no reso, SLP long tube headers with high flow cats, catch can, 180 t-sat, 6.1 ported intake manifold, Mopar CAI & Trinity – 93 octane tune)

About 2 weeks ago I took my car in for a custom tune/dyno run. Anyway to make a long story short my baseline run prior to the custom tune was 315 rwhp and 342 torque. :icon_evil: HORRIBLE baseline results. After a few more runs and a custom tune my final numbers were still HORRIBLE, 322 rwhp and 347 torque. :scratchhead: Base off my current mods I should be putting down some where around 350ish wrhp and 370ish torque.

I’m at a lost here because I know bone stock RTs are putting down around 330 rwhp . My tuner advised me that she has more power to put out but something holding her back. He advise me to buy a bigger cam as the stock cam is not strong enough to support my current mod. Is this true or not? This does not sound right to me; can someone please give me some insight? Thanks
A bunch of us had our Challengers tested on an All Wheel Drive Dyno last year.Mine was 100% stock and pulled 311 RWHP.The other cars had various mods that are listed in the attached dyno results.I will be having my car dynoed again at the same facility with my current listed mods and will also be having a CMR Custom Tune done at the same time.

I too would be expecting to see a 40 RWHP increase.Take a close look at the 09 Auto R/T represented by the yellow line on the dyno sheets.With just a Mopar CAI and MBRP cat-back exhaust that car gained about 43RWHP over my 100% stock 09 Auto R/T,...interesting indeed :browsmiley:.

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
I talked to a guy over on *********************. He has a 2010 RT classic. He was going to install several mods at one time at Arrington's but only the cam came in the first time he went to get them installed. He says he installed the largest cam for the VVT engine Arrington sells. The car dynoed 330rwhp stock and 375 rwhp with the cam and tune. He since has installed the rest of his mods: catless mids, JBA shorty headers, Mopar Cai, 180 thermostat, Flowmasters Super 44's, resonators delete, catch can, and a stainless steel exhaust. He is now putting down 417 rwhp and 430 rwt. HE says the car lost about 2 miles per gallon overall. But it is a blast to drive. He said the cam really came to live after the headers were installed on the car. The guy's name over there is Major League Infidel.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
did you look at the torque numbers, they give you the acceleration, HP is great for winding it out.
i know in CA when a guy built my harley we concetrated on torque numbers sometimes sacrificing hp to increase torque.
good luck. remember one size does not fit all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Next week I’m dropping my car off to get my cam installed. Hopefully with that added mod/tune plus my existing mods I should be running some where around 360ish or so. (Mustang dyno) - I’ll post my results once everything completed. :thumbsup:

09 RT (auto) with the following mods. ( BBK 85 mm TB , American Thunder Flow Master 40 series with no reso, SLP long tube headers with high flow cats, catch can, 180 t-sat, 6.1 ported intake manifold, Mopar CAI & Trinity – 93 octane tune - Pending install Arrington blue series VVT cam (AMI-CC541) custom tune)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would go back to the 5.7 intake myself. I found this link on the net where someone tested different intakes on the 5.7 Hemi and the stock intake made the most power of the ones tested. It definitely made more than the 6.1. If I can find the link, I will post it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts