Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 RT challenger 5.7 no mods other than CAI, short throw shifter and resonator delete.
80,000 miles & running strong w/ original clutch

Water pump seal/ bearing went bad last year(2016) and the pump was replaced with an aftermarket comparable model (cost for oem was out of budget and pinched for time). The included gasket seemed a bit flimsy but continued moving forward. Fast forward one year and the pump is leaking from the mid left side. After removing the pump I found the gasket had collapsed and the machined face of the block has some significant pitting along the edge of where the pump mates. Does not appear to be due to rust in any way. Coolant system has only had the proper factory spec fluid, never straight water. My fear is this will turn into a viscous cycle. Has Anyone else experienced similar issues with the block?

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
That looks like casting inclusions. They would have been there the last time you replaced the water pump but maybe you just noticed them now. I would fill them with a metal epoxy and dress it flat with a fine file. If your not comfortable with that fill them with permatex before reassembly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts