Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
California doesn't have inspections, only biennial smog checks, so they are all smog check certified people. They are supposed to do a visual check, and check functional inspection of the vehicle's check engine light, ignition timing, exhaust gas recirculation system, fuel evaporative system, and gas cap (they put the gas cap on a jig and apply vacuum).

They no longer do a tailpipe sniffer car on rollers test on OBD equipped cars. Just do the visual, and run the OBD test. New cars purchased in California don't have to be tested for 6 years, but you pay a Smog Abatement Fee on your registration.

A Guy
Almost

They aways change these laws

Looks like 8 years now? 5 more years for me to debate long tubes haha

And I definitely see CHP with rolling roads sniffing people at random quite often

·
Super Moderator
12,563 Posts
Cool, I think "they" say the average owner keeps a car 6-7 years, so no smog checks on average ;)

A Guy

·
Vendor
11,600 Posts
My Shaker is now on the final leg of it's journey to becoming my dream car. I just ordered yesterday, a blue printed and balanced short block, stroked to 392, polished and ported heads, a cam and everything else needed to turn my ride into a 392 Stroker, with the boost on my Magnuson going up to 14 lbs.

Luke, I installed the Auto-Blip, and I can feel and hear the rev matching when I shift, but the Auto-Blip light never comes on, Do you know what needs to happen to make that light turn on?
make sure to hard wire the autoblip, and you need to fine tune it by adjusting the two adjustment, delay and rpm

past experience is they are very finicky with the connections

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts
What all has to be change to replace my 2012 306 to a 392 ,i have a Auto
The thread below is a little old, so don’t use the part numbers as gospel, but it does give a good picture of what all is needed to do the swap, both parts and labor:

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Shaker is now on the final leg of it's journey to becoming my dream car. I just ordered yesterday, a blue printed and balanced short block, stroked to 392, polished and ported heads, a cam and everything else needed to turn my ride into a 392 Stroker, with the boost on my Magnuson going up to 14 lbs.

Luke, I installed the Auto-Blip, and I can feel and hear the rev matching when I shift, but the Auto-Blip light never comes on, Do you know what needs to happen to make that light turn on?
Are going to be able to retain the shaker, or are you changing hoods. I want to put a Magnuson on my 2016 R/T shaker. Nobody could tell me the actual height difference between the Magnuson and the stock shaker intake. I know there is like a two inch thick gasket between the hood and shaker scoop.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
FYI Steve White installs magnuson SC'ers and use brackets that retains the shaker. There are pics of the setup floating around the forum.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The aftermarket air intake system will flow differently at WOT, maybe more or maybe less, but either way there's likely some performance to be gained by having stock tune adjusted to eliminate any KR that's occurring at WOT.

I'm not saying there's enough to knock your 0-60 times into the 4s or increase your MPGs by any significant amount. But there is very likely some performance left on the table that can be reclaimed if you ever decide you want to squeeze every last drop of power out of the mods you've got.

Same goes for the SRT exhaust, except for a different reason (not missing perf due to KR but likely have some available that's not being taken advantage of).

Not sure what year model yours is, but if it's a 2015+, you'd have to spring for the updatable PCM, and in that case i don't think it would be worth the extra expense for the relatively low amount of performance you'd be gaining by going custom tune.

Just my opinions though, please treat accordingly. :geek:
Nuke, I have a 2012 R/T 5.7L with manual 6 speed. A "93 octane" tune would sharpen up the mods I have done already and utilize their performance potential just that much more. This car also has 118K miles on it so it's not as fresh and snappy as it was 7 years ago.......:cool: A tuner would be useful so I can reset my fan on/off cycle temps though, and load a different tune into it. No locked PCM to worry about!
As far as emissions tests, with factory SRT exhaust there would likely be no problem with passing one, even in CA, with cats in standard location and have never thrown any CEL codes yet. A sharp smog tech would possibly note the SRT factory headers and mids on the car which could go either way, either pass visual or send it to smog referee station for further scrutiny. Thankfully I now live in AZ where there is no emissions testing in my county!
No worries on your opinions, they are useful, and thank you for your input! (y)

·
Vendor
11,600 Posts
we have done this numerous, times, the only supercharger system that will fit without loosing functionality is the Magnuson 2300, our bracket kit is 499.00 which includes the spacer, basic sc kit is 6195.00

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Are going to be able to retain the shaker, or are you changing hoods. I want to put a Magnuson on my 2016 R/T shaker. Nobody could tell me the actual height difference between the Magnuson and the stock shaker intake. I know there is like a two inch thick gasket between the hood and shaker scoop.
It already has the Magnuson on it. It's not visible because of the scoop except for the drive pulley. Luke at Steve White Motors can help you with the scoop, and you can see how it looks in my garage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very nice , thank you! It looks like they just add a couple pieces of angle to the bottom of the the factory bracket and bolted it to the front of the Magnuson. Maybe something off the back also. Thanks again that's cool.

·
Registered
6 Posts
RT 5.7 owners out there any years...what mods have ya all done to get more horses?

me so far cold air intake and ive noticed a difference..

im hearing headers,tune and exhaust?
I have only added the Pedal commander so far. When I bought my 2016 it already had the Scat Pack Stage 1 package added...CAI, Cat back Exhaust, High Flow Oil filter and a reprogramed PCM. The PC add made a huge difference. It doesn't add horsepower, but it sure does make what she has more noticable. I can't use the top 4 settings without chirpping the tires upon takeoff..I've had to learn to really feather the pedal. It was worth every penny IMO. It really makes her a lot more fun to drive..

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have only added the Pedal commander so far. When I bought my 2016 it already had the Scat Pack Stage 1 package added...CAI, Cat back Exhaust, High Flow Oil filter and a reprogrammed PCM. The PC add made a huge difference. It doesn't add horsepower, but it sure does make what she has more noticeable. I can't use the top 4 settings without chirping the tires upon takeoff..I've had to learn to really feather the pedal. It was worth every penny IMO. It really makes her a lot more fun to drive..
+1 on the Pedal Commander, love the instantaneous throttle response, no more "lag" to deal with. Makes for real snappy acceleration! Kind of had to relearn driving my R/T, real easy to run someone over when accelerating in sport or sport + mode!
Found it to be a good mod and simple install.:cool:(y)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
14 Participants
ChallyTatum
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing