Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm the new owner of a R/T Shaker 2018 just out from the factory. I'm going to my store to get in touch with the beast. The seller told me he went to put gasoline in it. As I sit inside, the feeling is awesome. I clear his throat a couple times then I decide to try the beast for the first time. I'm driving on a boulevard at 30km/h and, at a red light, a lot of smoke comes from the front. I come back at the store and the staff look at it. They said they never saw that before on a brand new car.

Diagnostic: The radiator has a hole in it and the liquid is leaking on the asphalt. They going to put a new radiator in and I will get it back by Monday. I got a used car for the weekend.

Has this kind of situation happened to you before with a brand new car? I never heard anything that make think of a rock hitting the radiator. What do you think?

RTknight

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Not familiar with the cooling system layout of these cars but with other cars I have owned an A/C condenser covers part of or all of the radiator (or radiators).

If this is true with your car then likely not a rock hit.

Besides, I think the tech should be able to distinguish a leak due to a rock hit vs. one from a defective radiator. Thus if the radiator is being replaced under warranty that strongly suggests a defective radiator was found.

This is what a new car warranty is for. So sit back and relax and let the new car warranty you paid for pay you back something.

Added: My radiator experiences have been pretty good. No new radiator failures. At around 60K miles my '96 Mustang GT radiator manifested a small coolant leak, which proved to be from a pinhole on the back side of the radiator.

More recently back in Jan 2015 all 3 radiators in my 2003 996 Turbo showed leak sign. This arose from the extreme cold -- temperature down to 1F then with the engine running the radiators warming up to nearly 200F -- and over the nearly 4 weeks I was in that environment the radiators just couldn't take it. The SA at the dealer I took the car to to have the radiators replaced said this was a common failure of these radiators but it generally occurred at fewer miles than the 130K miles I had on the car. That the car spent all its time prior to this exposure to extreme cold in a way milder climate probably accounted for the radiator failures being delayed. Just be thankful you have a warranty. It cost me $4K to have the radiators replaced in the Turbo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, thank you for your knowledge. Like you said, i just relax and sit back. I'll ask though to know if it's a radiator failure or the meteor theory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked with a friend and he told me something interesting.

Is there any possibility that the seal between the engine and some other part of the is leaking similar to a 1-year old used car? If that's the case, can I do something about it? I didn't pay for a 1 year used car, but for a brand new one.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you bought your car new from a reputable dealer then I wouldn’t be concerned about excessive usage. Let them replace the radiator and if that solves the leak/steam issue, then no worries. As Rockster said, let the factory warranty cover any further issues, and enjoy every mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Meteor theory?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Meteor theory?
Funny term for a rock hitting the radiator.

The first day when I came back for the car, everyone was gentle with me and was saying ''I wasn't able to sleep the weekend it happened...I almost cried'' (director, vendor, insurance, etc). Everyone was reacting too much, in my opinion, and when I asked where's the vendor that sold me the car, they said he doesn't work for them anymore. Strange story.

It's been 7 days so far and I have had so much fun with it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Funny term for a rock hitting the radiator.
It's been 7 days so far i have so much fun with it.
LOL! Glad you're getting it sorted out and congrats!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,064 Posts
Some smoke is normal...

A Guy

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Sorry that I didn't respond earlier.

If you want to know what happened, why the leak, the only way I know to eliminate the rock hit theory vs. some other explanation for the leak is to examine the radiator. I'm pretty sure the tech did and he has a high confidence idea of what happened. (And I dare say your new car's leaking radiator is not his first.)

If the leak is located in an area of the radiator that is exposed to being hit by road debris, well, at least that means the leak could be due to a rock hit.

A rock hit leak should be distinguishable from say a pin hole due to porosity. As I mentioned in a prior post the radiator leak with my '96 Mustang was on the back side of the radiator. No rock hit could have happened. And the leak was very small. The only visible sign of a leak -- besides the coolant on the ground -- was the stain the coolant left on the otherwise dark radiator surface. To describe the leak as a pin hole would have been generous. The only time the leak was active was after the engine was shut off and the heat load of the engine raised the coolant temperature and pressure and during this time this forced hot coolant out the leak.

Or if the leak is from some seam between the radiator core and the top/bottom or possibly end tanks. In the case of my Turbo this is where the leaks were from. Along the seams of the bottom tanks. The tech had some pressure applied to the cooling system and the coolant wetness sign was unmistakable.

Because the radiator is being covered under warranty my WAG is the leak is porosity or more likely from a leaking seam. These are crimped rather than welded/brazed and most of the time they are quite good. Except for the Mustang at around 60K miles and the Turbo at 130K miles I've never had any other problems with radiators with any other cars. (Might mention the replacement Mustang radiator a heavier constructed radiator lasted around 90K miles, was in the car and leak free when I sold the car with around 150K miles.)

But they can suffer from infant death syndrome and be bad out of the box so to speak. This is what I believe happened with your car. The first time the engine really got warm and the coolant developed some pressure the bad radiator made itself known.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Congrats on the R/T!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts