Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope all of you are doing great. I am currently selling my sxt and dont know what to bump up to. A rt? Srt8? Or scat. I am currently looking at rts since itd be cheaper. But whats the best one on power potential? And wheres another place like offerup where i can find cars by private sellers or cars at a great price?

·
Premium Member
2011 SRT8 392 BGE Supercharged Toxic Orange
1,570 Posts
They are all good - depending how you intend to drive and what you intend to use it for. The RT is by far the all around best value, but - if you want that "little more punch" the SRT is where to get it.

I would suggest you evaluate the reasons you are selling your SXT (honestly) and you will arrive at your answer. Heck - you may just decide to keep the SXT - since it probably doesn't owe you anything. Remember, ANY change, COSTS MONEY.

You'll figure it out - listen to your gut.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T plus T/A 6-speed Gold Rush
739 Posts
I bought a 2015 R/T and soon wanted more POWER! So I upgraded after a year to a Scatpack. I just bought a 2021 R/T with the 6speed manual and for ME... it has more than enough power. Yes, I have to use premium fuel.
The only thing for me that saves a little bit of $ is that my insurance is about $200 cheaper per year over the Scatpack. If money is no object, I'd go with the Scatpack.😎

I wouldn't trade my 392 for anything. It's the perfect balance of HP, torque and the ability to deliver it.
What color is your WB?

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
714 Posts
The SRT8 is equipped like a scat pack before it was called a scat pack, so you're really looking at 5.7 vs 6.4. I had a 2016 R/T with a 5.7. It was fun to drive, but I wanted more power and the 6.4 delivers. The 6.4 is more squirrely than the 5.7 because you have to actively mind your traction coming around corners, especially on cold roads. I consider that the price of admission for a muscle car, but not everyone agrees.

5.7L = Perfectly respectable responsible-guy muscle car. Plenty of power to put a smile on your face and very well-mannered.
6.4L = A borderline irresponsible amount of power for the street. Still totally manageable, but you need to respect the car in a way the 5.7 does not demand.
6.2L SC (Hellcat) = Stop respecting it for one moment and you might wrap it around a telephone pole.

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack R/T
238 Posts
I've had a 2009 R/T and a 2017 T/A and now a 2021 Scat Pack. There are so many upgrades included with the base Scat Pack that it's a great deal.
Gas mileage between my 2 previous 5.7's and the 392 are about the same....except for the fact that the 392 is an awesome engine.

Reactions: 602RACING

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are all good - depending how you intend to drive and what you intend to use it for. The RT is by far the all around best value, but - if you want that "little more punch" the SRT is where to get it.

I would suggest you evaluate the reasons you are selling your SXT (honestly) and you will arrive at your answer. Heck - you may just decide to keep the SXT - since it probably doesn't owe you anything. Remember, ANY change, COSTS MONEY.

You'll figure it out - listen to your gut.
Im only selling because of that want for more power. I was finishing the build with the SC in February but then again i still want the sound and feel of that V8. And be able to push a lot more than my sxt would breaking the bank

I bought a 2015 R/T and soon wanted more POWER! So I upgraded after a year to a Scatpack. I just bought a 2021 R/T with the 6speed manual and for ME... it has more than enough power. Yes, I have to use premium fuel.
The only thing for me that saves a little bit of $ is that my insurance is about $200 cheaper per year over the Scatpack. If money is no object, I'd go with the Scatpack.😎
So considering you got a rt again. Do you wish you still had the scat?

I've had a 2009 R/T and a 2017 T/A and now have a 2021 Scat Pack. There are so many upgrades included with the base Scat Pack that it's a great deal.
Mileage between my 2 previous 5.7's and the 392 are about the same....except for the fact that the 392 is an awesome engine.
Hell yeah thank you! Have you dont anything to yours?

Love the color this is how i want my next one I almost wrapped the sxt in this

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Love the color this is how i want my next one I almost wrapped the sxt in this
Yes, it's an amazing color. Bright blue metal flake in direct sunlight but very purple in cloudy or indirect light.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
714 Posts
Yes, it's an amazing color. Bright blue metal flake in direct sunlight but very purple in cloudy or indirect light.
Indigo was my second choice color but it was close.

The Scat is am RT with a 392.

Honestly, the better all around driver is the 5.7. Handling, the ride, power its all well balanced . When I replaced my 5.7 with the 6.4 I did so based on the desire for engine power. I didn't figure other things would be minimally sacrificed .
As a counterpoint, I didn't find the step up to a Scat Pack to be a sacrifice in any aspect, but both my scats have been widebodies with best-in-platform handling so I may have felt differently about a skinny.

• Haha
Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
2019 392 Shaker
401 Posts
As a counterpoint, I didn't find the step up to a Scat Pack to be a sacrifice in any aspect, but both my scats have been widebodies with best-in-platform handling so I may have felt differently about a skinny.
The sacrifice we can start with fuel economy. Even though my 5.7 had the 5 speed it would get 27+ mpg on the highway, 14 around town The 6.4 with the 8 speed can get 25+ mpg on the open road but 10/11 round town.
The 6.4 is definitely less stable, much more squirrely. It feels much more heavy and bulky . Does the 6.4 weigh that much more than the 5.7?
The ride was much less harsh with the 5.7. I thought it was harsh until I bought the 6.4 then realized the difference was obvious.
The 5.7 pulled hard and strong. The 6.4 is in a WHOLE other league, crazy quick.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
714 Posts
The sacrifice we can start with fuel economy. Even though my 5.7 had the 5 speed it would get 27+ mpg on the highway, 14 around town The 6.4 with the 8 speed can get 25+ mpg on the open road but 10/11 round town.
The 6.4 is definitely less stable, much more squirrely. It feels much more heavy and bulky . Does the 6.4 weigh that much more than the 5.7?
The ride was much less harsh with the 5.7. I thought it was harsh until I bought the 6.4 then realized the difference was obvious.
The 5.7 pulled hard and strong. The 6.4 is in a WHOLE other league, crazy quick.
I honestly didn't figure fuel economy in as a sacrifice because nobody gets 1/3 more HP and 1/3 more torque without sacrificing fuel economy so I think of that as a given.

The weight difference from one engine to the next should be minimal to negligible as it pertains to the weight of the car and how it handles. I've had the ADS on both my scats, and while it definitely rides stiffer than my R/T 5.7 my SPWBs have much stiffer front springs. I believe you have to buy the sport suspension upgrade on the 5.7 to get something close to the standard suspension on a Scat Pack.

You didn't mention what level of suspension your R/T 5.7 had so I'm not sure how it would compare to what I've had. Scats definitely ride stiffer, but with the ADS in street mode it just feels like a muscle car ready to carve corners to me.

I think this generally gets back to my earlier point that a Scat Pack is more for an active driver who doesn't mind managing traction, and the R/T 5.7 is generally well-mannered as long as you're not in the snow.

Reactions: 602RACING

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ill be watching this after work. Thank you all for the input and helping me make this decision!

I honestly didn't figure fuel economy in as a sacrifice because nobody gets 1/3 more HP and 1/3 more torque without sacrificing fuel economy so I think of that as a given.

The weight difference from one engine to the next should be minimal to negligible as it pertains to the weight of the car and how it handles. I've had the ADS on both my scats, and while it definitely rides stiffer than my R/T 5.7 my SPWBs have much stiffer front springs. I believe you have to buy the sport suspension upgrade on the 5.7 to get something close to the standard suspension on a Scat Pack.

You didn't mention what level of suspension your R/T 5.7 had so I'm not sure how it would compare to what I've had. Scats definitely ride stiffer, but with the ADS in street mode it just feels like a muscle car ready to carve corners to me.

I think this generally gets back to my earlier point that a Scat Pack is more for an active driver who doesn't mind managing traction, and the R/T 5.7 is generally well-mannered as long as you're not in the snow.
Hell yeah. What else besides suspension work have you done

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack R/T
238 Posts
Hell yeah thank you! Have you dont anything to yours?
Only engine mod has been to install the Hellcat lower air box, air duct and Hellcat air filter.
This probably be my only mod to the 392, I like it as is and the exhaust is excellent too.
Both my 2017 5.7 T/A and 2021 Scat pack have active exhaust but to me the 392 seems quieter (392s have a different resonator) but throaty which I like.

There isn't a downside to the 392 it gets you:
47 more cubes,
Higher Compression Ratio,
Better flowing heads with bigger valves
Bigger camshaft more lift, overlap and duration
Active Intake Manifold (5.7 Eagle RAMs have that too)
High flowing tubular shorty header
Enhanced Engine Controller Module
Bigger Throttle Body

Reactions: Klink

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T plus T/A 6-speed Gold Rush
739 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
714 Posts
Hell yeah. What else besides suspension work have you done
All my mods have been cosmetic up to this point, and I'm unlikely to do anything major while still under warranty. I'm considering buying a HC in 2023, and if I go down that road I'll probably wrap up what I have in process and then just enjoy my 2021 for a couple years.

I meant to mention earlier, there is no benefit to buying a 5.7L if your intention is to modify it for power (as opposed to just having a sweet ride ready for cosmetic upgrades). You get far more bang for your buck just upgrading to the Scat Pack for the extra power with a complete package that manages the power better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts