Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well our beautiful white 2010 RT was rear ended this week.

The vehicle that hit my daughter was midsize compact it ended u going right under the challenger.

Appearance/ body still is fairly in tact. Though the Steel bumper, fuel tank and Mufflers/tail pipes resonators are all damaged.

So here is the problem..

Even if the vehicle is repaired perfectly the car will always have a mark on its title and car fax report, a loss of value I am guessing between 3-5 K.

I would rather the insurance company take the car now and just pay fair market value before the accident.
I will update you as this plays out.

any words of advice are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,022 Posts
Mark on title? This might be something in your state but a car in a wreck does not normally get a notation on the title. If the car is deemed totaled and put back on the road then the car car will have a "salvaged" title which will carry a big impact the value of the car.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
The insurance company is going to take the cheapest route, which sounds like just repairing the car.

It's a bit troubling that the fuel take was damaged, because it's forward of the rear axle so whatever got to it also must have gotten into the rear suspension and mounts. Suspension alignment issues are nagging problems.

Personally, I'd get the car repaired and then sell it.

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
Even if the vehicle is repaired perfectly the car will always have a mark on its title and car fax report, a loss of value I am guessing between 3-5 K.
Never heard of a mark on the title unless it is totaled but the Carfax hit is real....make a claim for Diminished Value and be prepared for the insurance company to fight you on this one.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
+1 with Danner. Get the car fixed and sell it. If it got into the suspension your car will be a constant headache.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plan had been to trade the car on a 2015
yes it would appear on a car fax and not the title

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
RtUsa good point made. Car fax is a huge problem. It's sad you didn't do anything but yet you will be penalized for the accident with the value due to car fax report.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,022 Posts
My bet would be that you could trade in before it is listed on car fax. Of course when you go to trade the car most, if not all states, require that you disclose accident information and the dealership has you sign paperwork

·
Premium Member
10,437 Posts
I believe what he's referring to is the the tire well in the trunk which is just behind the bumper.
Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You guys are putting too much stock into a Carfax report. Carfax offers money to insurance co's In exchange for info on vehicles they underwrite, some sell their info and some don't. No one, company or individual is required to notify Carfax of anything.

A case in point. I owned a 2009 Toyota Tacoma, in March of 2011 I was involved in a serious accident which destroyed the entire front end of the truck and ripped the front left suspension assembly from the truck. It was a mess and I thought surely it would be totaled. Nope! At a cost of about $13000 the insurance company fixed it. Eight moths later I Traded it for my current Toyota to the same dealer that I had bought it from and yes the same dealer that had fixed it. Before making the deal on my trade the sales mgr want to check it's Carfax, guess what he saw, nothing, nadda, no info whatsoever concerning my nearly totalled 2009 Tacoma. And this was the same place that fixed it!! When i drove by the dealership a couple of weeks later there was my truck right out front, up on a platform with big letters across the winshield: LOW MILES-CLEAN CARFAX

Reactions: wasp392

·
Registered
87 Posts
Slidd is correct. Push for diminished value. Collect info to prove your point.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Found this out the hard way. Had a car that got hit in the driver side front wheel. The wheel took the brunt on the hit, and it snapped the strut. It was all superficial except for wheel and the strut. A few years later went to trade it in, and found out the carfax showed that it was in an accident, and the report stated "to check for frame damage"...because it was aligned for a strut replacement!!!! 10k car turned into a 3k car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.