Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 29 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm constantly amazed at some of the questions asked here (and on other enthusiast forums) that could be answered by a quick glance at the owner's manual or even that picture book "User Guide" that they include.

One of the first things I do when I get a new vehicle is go through the owner's manual to see how the various features that I'm not familiar with work, and then go back to it when something new comes up to see if I can find the answer there. Am I the only person who does this?

If only a small percentage of people who are enthusiasts of the car care enough about how it works to look at the manual, I can only imagine how few people who view their cars as transportation appliances ever crack it open. I'm beginning to understand why they aren't putting them in cars any more - why go to the cost and effort to print them if no one's going to use them?

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, I've given up on car salesmen knowing anything about the cars they're selling. The one I bought my car from told me if you put the headlight switch in the "A" position they'd dim automatically when another car approached, that the car had a variable displacement engine, and the 6-speed transmission did not have the "skip shift."

But my favorite was when I test drove a Porsche Cayenne and the salesman insisted he had to drive it off the lot. After watching him search frantically for somewhere to stick the ignition key, I dryly told him that it was to the left of the steering wheel, just like every other Porsche ever built. Then I watched him trying to figure out why it wouldn't start. (It was because it was a 6-speed and the idiot didn't have the clutch depressed.) Needless to say I didn't by anything from him.

But there's a bit of difference between a salesman not knowing all the nuances of every car they sell (although there's really no reason for them not to know everything about them if they're selling new cars) and someone who OWNS one of them being too lazy to look up in the owner's manual what the keyhole on the driver's door is for or how the sunroof operates.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You'd be surprised the number of owners that are too lazy to look in the manual themselves. They would rather take the time to type their question here and wait for who knows how long for an answer. I really don't get it. The answer is right at their fingertips.
Perhaps we should start responding to those kind of posts with RTFM until they grasp the concept.

1 - 5 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.