Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 SP with 25,000 on the clock. The car run great. In the past two days I've noticed rub noise that comes from my rear end. This noise is only present when the car going slow and is turning hard (like pulling into a garage or parking space) at slow (5mph) speeds. Driving regularly, there is no noise or vibration.

At first, I thought it was the inner plastic wheel well rubbing as I had the car in 3 days ago for a warranty (emissions canister) work and the plastic liner needed to be removed. I checked and the liner is close (1/2 inch) but not rubbing. I checked the fluid in the differential and it seems ok.

I called the local Dodge dealer and they said that the rear end was "probably shot" and I needed to bring it in for evaluation. I did purchase a 7/84k warranty back in 2015-- I think I'll be OK?

I know that noises are hard to diagnose over the keyboard, but has anyone had or heard of a rear end going out like this?

Any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,025 Posts
The LSD rear ends are notorious for growling IIRC, but it seems like the dealerships’ standard response to complaints about it was to say it’s normal and not do anything.

It seems odd this dealership told you yours was shot...did they actually take it for a test drive to verify your complaint?

·
Registered
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
723 Posts
The LSD rear ends are notorious for growling IIRC, but it seems like the dealerships’ standard response to complaints about it was to say it’s normal and not do anything.

It seems odd this dealership told you yours was shot...did they actually take it for a test drive to verify your complaint?
Nuke........yur "growling IIRC" doesn't mean anything to me. Whether we know all the acronyms or not.

I've taken LSD in my younger years, but it never left me in a limited slip differntial.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE I called some friends and did some research. It seems that a first step solution (as opposed to a rebuild) was to change out the fluid as that seemed to solve some of the problems. I called the dealer and asked if they had any fluid in stock. Apparently there is 4 (yes, four) different rear end fluids. They did have the proper SP fluid ($61.00) so I did a quick rear end fluid change. The initial ride seems to quiet things down a bit, but I admit to taking it easy (big, swoopy turns as opposed to sharp ones) allowing the fluid to move around a bit. Tomorrow I'll push it harder and see what happens

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,025 Posts
Nuke........yur "growling IIRC" doesn't mean anything to me. Whether we know all the acronyms or not.

I've taken LSD in my younger years, but it never left me in a limited slip differntial.
back in my day the only limited slip differential we had was the posi-trac, and while there was some LSD around, I’d just as soon let the weirdos take that stuff, my go-to for Jesus pow-wows was mushrooms!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a 2016 Rt with that did the same thing,Very annoying when pulling into the garage.
I traded the car in for a 2020 Scat Pack and I saw the salesman when I got a oil change and he asked me
if I knew I had a problem with the rear end.I had No clue but he said that they had to replace it.Well at least
I know what the noise was now and I never raced it at alllll.................JT

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,429 Posts
New fluid always quiets down a diff (or an engine or a manual transmission).

If the noise returns I would suggest you take the car out to an empty parking lot and make sure you can produce the noise then see if applying the brakes affects the noise. In some cases -- and when the car has some miles on it -- the brake pads can rub the rotor during low speed turns.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I took the car to an open parking lot and did some low speed, tight circles in both directions. The differential is definitely way more quiet. I can still hear a slight, low level "hum" but with a bit of volume on the radio, you would never hear it unless you were looking for it. Clearly an improvement.

As I have read and has been suggested, I think I'll "live with it" for a week or so rather than taking it immediately into the dealer and beginning the warranty fight. I'm thinking that a bit of lube working its way into the clutches may continue to show improvement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts