Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick advice from detailing experts.

all because the shop didnt have time today but they did tommorow and I couldn’t wait.

so i scratched the crap out the spoiler using a razor blade , and then added salt to the injury by trying to sand it.

i forget to wet the sanding paper or use any liquid.

just full on heavy great.

now side is obviously more “brighter” than the rest of the spoiler.

The scratches that u can feel with your fingers will have a badge go over them

So i’m left with trying to match the sanded area with the rest of the spoler with no paint , what should i do ?

it had full xpel on it which prolly costs 150$ alone for the spoiler that i messed up and removed.

i did all that trying to remove the scatpack badge and replace it with a new one.

i some how manage to always find ways to mess up my car.

so what is the best approach to fix it ?

just take to a shop ?

or should i sand it and paint/cure whatever my self?

Is the spoiler just painted black or is it black inside out? Guess painted because of the white scatches.

what would you do if you had this on your hands.

The minute i think she’s perfect , i ruin it.

i swear f this shit. Why didnt i wait tell tommorrow.

damn

so the rest of the spoiler is untouched ,
But you can see what sanding did?

it created a white definition line on top that doesn't exist on the rest of the spoiler . Which i put a circle around.

i have a feeling it’s a quick and easy fix but i just dont know where to start.

View attachment 1005116

View attachment 1005117

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just want to know hot fix it without painting it but make the paint spreads to the bad area to even it out and look uniformed , any advice?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,514 Posts
plasti dip the whole spoiler flat black until you get it painted body color. Who knows you might like the look and have the body shop paint it flat black.

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
plasti dip the whole spoiler flat black until you get it painted body color. Who knows you might like the look and have the body shop paint it flat black.
I have this in mind

It is just that i just removed 150$ worth if xpell only to wra

What abour mcguire scratch x?

this is the first result i found from googling.

should i bother going to the hardware store or fixing it is out of the question?

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I have no experience with that Scratch X or other similar products. Someone else may chime in about that. You could try it, you certainly aren't going to make it worse, you may get it "good enough" but if you are like me, it will never be good enough. I had a minor scratch below my spoiler when I bought the car, just in the clear, it happened on the lot as the car was bough new. I bought rubbing compound for light scratches and got it pretty good. Then I saw it from an angle and went at it again and went through the paint as it is very thin. I then had it painted at a shop. (Just the trunk lip under the spoiler.)

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no experience with that Scratch X or other similar products. Someone else may chime in about that. You could try it, you certainly aren't going to make it worse, you may get it "good enough" but if you are like me, it will never be good enough. I had a minor scratch below my spoiler when I bought the car, just in the clear, it happened on the lot as the car was bough new. I bought rubbing compound for light scratches and got it pretty good. Then I saw it from an angle and went at it again and went through the paint as it is very thin. I then had it painted at a shop. (Just the trunk lip under the spoiler.)
Thanks man , ill give what ever they have a shot.

in exactly like u , if it is even 1% off then no.

ill just give whatever they have shot and then paint it or wrap it.

just ruined a fine looking car. And lost the spoiler xpel.

thanks again

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Relax. I fouck up my car everytime i try to upgrade too. It’s a big club.
man , if it wasn’t for the fact i have to pay for the car for another 7 years .

i just want it perfect but wont happeb i guess

thanks for making feel welcomed to the f ups club

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont think you saw the pics , the spoiler is flat black ... factory one.

i wouldnt want it any otherway

i spent 3 months trying to prefect tHe car and this new badge was one of the final touches ... but fouck

im just gonna follow what dennis h said and not give a f about the car anymore.

they had nothing at the store the polishes or fix flat colors which sucked

but whatever ill just live with the spoiler like this the next few months

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd just sand smooth, primer and clearcoat it and have it wrapped.
wrapped?

i mean you did all the work , why wrap it?

i dont know if the pictures tell how it really is.

the surface is 100% straight , nothing you can physically feel.

small scratches.

the problem is the color.

the messed up area is only 20% of the space. The rest is factory good.

still no way to just fix that area without coating the whole thing?

why not paint instead of primer?

i’m no detailing guy , but just wondering.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,192 Posts
i spent 3 months trying to prefect tHe car and this new badge was one of the final touches ... but fouck
Just wouldn’t listen to your ol’ Hillbilly friend in Kentucky........ :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: KWSPWB

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The correct repair would be remove it from the vehicle and have it re-painted by a good body shop.

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
If the white is scratches with any depth then just painting will not cover them, you need to primer and sand it. If it just needs to be turned permanently matte black this will do the job : Eastwood Matte Black Plastic Resurfacer Aerosol Repair

or just buy a spoiler and install. Call it lesson learned.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There is no polishing out scratches on matte finishes. Your only options are to have a shop repaint (personally I would go this route) quick fix with plastidip, or sand and uniform the area and vinyl wrap the spoiler with the color of your choice.

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the white is scratches with any depth then just painting will not cover them, you need to primer and sand it. If it just needs to be turned permanently matte black this will do the job : Eastwood Matte Black Plastic Resurfacer Aerosol Repair

i said the exact same words , lesson learned in 2 languages. Lesson learned.

an easy job that is just replacing badges and i managed to mess it up and remove the xpel because i cut alot of it.

made peace with my self and just fouck it

There is no polishing out scratches on matte finishes. Your only options are to have a shop repaint (personally I would go this route) quick fix with plastidip, or sand and uniform the area and vinyl wrap the spoiler with the color of your choice.
got it ... i’m sad because of the xpel price nothing more ... 150$ down the drain.

ok i want it the samel matte black color no doubt ... it doesnt need sanding or anything , the color is just wrong.

so should i

1- plasti dip
2 - order waumo posted
3 - wrap it
4 - paint it.

i want the cheapest yet most efficient.

painting it will be the most expensive and if it was ruined it again then i’m foucked.

how easy is it to apply what waumo posted at home?

i’m not going to paint it until i have money to put xpel over it. Will happen but not now.

i need tires and pads which are way more important.

plasti dip ?

Your suggestion’s pleaese

so with this , is it easy to spray at home without primer and sanding? Assuming it needs sanding and primer.

will this just eliminate them and i can just spray it?

because maybe just where the badge will go needs sanding. So why sand it if the badge is over it.

ill leave the permanent good painting job when i have the $$ to cover it with xpell

opinions regarding not sanding where the badge will go and just plasti dip or this product for now.
because it is just a scratch the size of small razor scratch.

i learned that matt surfaces suck to deal unlike regular paint with which i never knew before.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
if you tape the car and plasti dip the whole spoiler it will look fine. put a few coats on and when you are ready to get it painted, you peel the dip off. Any accidental overspray is easily removed but mask the car off good.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i said the exact same words , lesson learned in 2 languages. Lesson learned.

an easy job that is just replacing badges and i managed to mess it up and remove the xpel because i cut alot of it.

made peace with my self and just fouck it

got it ... i’m sad because of the xpel price nothing more ... 150$ down the drain.

ok i want it the samel matte black color no doubt ... it doesnt need sanding or anything , the color is just wrong.

so should i

1- plasti dip
2 - order waumo posted
3 - wrap it
4 - paint it.

i want the cheapest yet most efficient.

painting it will be the most expensive and if it was ruined it again then i’m foucked.

how easy is it to apply what waumo posted at home?

i’m not going to paint it until i have money to put xpel over it. Will happen but not now.

i need tires and pads which are way more important.

plasti dip ?

Your suggestion’s pleaese

so with this , is it easy to spray at home without primer and sanding? Assuming it needs sanding and primer.

will this just eliminate them and i can just spray it?

because maybe just where the badge will go needs sanding. So why sand it if the badge is over it.

ill leave the permanent good painting job when i have the $$ to cover it with xpell

opinions regarding not sanding where the badge will go and just plasti dip or this product for now.
because it is just a scratch the size of small razor scratch.

i learned that matt surfaces suck to deal unlike regular paint with which i never knew before.
I’m not familiar with that plastic restorer mentioned. However, knowing what the issue is it isn’t going to help.

In this situation you really can’t cut corners. Coating is damaged as well as the surface, it needs a fix not a bandaid. Paint or replace and recoat, $300+ mistake learned. It happens to the best of us, sorry man. Live with it and do the other upgrades and fix later. Good luck my friend.

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
It doesnt even look visible in the afternoon , imagine a hot arizona sunny.

i took the car away and kept walking back , you cant notice it for some reason , more appearant at night ?

what gives?

anyways heading to body shop to see what they can do other than paibt

anything expensive then im just gonna live with it for now.

i can live it for now if i slap the badge over it ok

freaked out over something I thought was more

thanks again all

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Shop said exact same words as you guys ... nothing can be done flat paint ... nothing but repainting , no compoud to even make it a lil better.

you guys know your stuff.

anways i slapped this on , and once im bored with the yellow ill fix it real.

and you Opinions on the badge on a grabite crystal car? The finish on the badge it top notch

that with the huge R/T up front

leave everyone beside dodges ppl and most dodge ppl confused lol:ROFLMAO:

thanks a lot

1 - 20 of 97 Posts