Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here so sorry if this is a duplicate topic. I just installed jba shorty headers and hi flow cats on my 2010 Challenger R/T. It was a pita and I spent alot of time working on the header bolts as I feared not getting them tight enough and having to go back to redue any work. The connection from headers to mid pipe was a pain too and I tightened them down as much as I could but it seemed the lip on the end of the headers really prevented a great connection. That being said I got everything on and put back together. It had a slightly different sound, a bit louder but it was also midnight when I got finished. The next morning driving to work it just sounded off. Once leaving work it seemed to be running rough, a bit off and not the usual power after I did a canned Diablo tune before the exhaust work. The next day, maybe I was more awake, I noticed the sound more and it running rough. Once I hooked up my Diablo tuner it threw a p2096 code. I had a buddy listen while I gave it some gas and he thought he could possibly hear it leaking from passenger side header to mid pipe connection. I got under the car once home and tried to tighten that connection and got a little movement on them but not much. Set car down and I thought it sounded better, so did buddy when at work the next day but it's still running rough and threw p2098 now. This is the first time installing headers or any exhaust work done so I'm hopeing someone might have already gone through this and can help.

To add, no issues with exhaust or any fault codes before header and cat install. O2 sensors removed from old mid pipes and install right away in new. Rear sensors installed in hole after cats and plugs in the cat hole. Nothing else done and everything out back to original. Also car had 91 octane/cai Diablo tune and was running great now like a turd lol

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
713 Posts
The connection from headers to mid pipe was a pain too and I tightened them done as much as I could but it seemed the lip on the end of the headers really prevented a great connection.
This make me think the connection just isn't right. I think you will have to get that lip flush.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was worried about the lip on the headers and the connection yo the mid pipes even before the install as it is a big lip on the headers and they just sit on the mid pipes when I lined them up off the car. Seems the same with the old exhaust manifolds and the old mid pipes but they just seem to sit slightly better but just really make a connection and sit on top. Is this normal for all headers and mid pipes? Me being new I thought the headers would sit into the pipes either flush or close to it where tightening it down would complete it the rest of the way but it doesn't seem to.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,282 Posts
I was worried about the lip on the headers and the connection yo the mid pipes even before the install as it is a big lip on the headers and they just sit on the mid pipes when I lined them up off the car. Seems the same with the old exhaust manifolds and the old mid pipes but they just seem to sit slightly better but just really make a connection and sit on top. Is this normal for all headers and mid pipes? Me being new I thought the headers would sit into the pipes either flush or close to it where tightening it down would complete it the rest of the way but it doesn't seem to.
Yea header to midpipe connection is probably leaking. Also make sure that the O2 sensor is in there tight enough as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts