Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Back in the early 90's, I had a bone-stock 1979 Chevy "Custom Deluxe" pickup. 2WD, 250 I-6, 3 on the tree, 6-foot bed. Didn't even have a stock radio. When it got hot in the summer, I'd fill milk jugs with water, freeze them solid, place them on the floor on the passenger side, open the side floor vent on the passenger side and crack the window on the driver's side. As long as I was moving, I had "hillbilly air-conditioning".
That’s pretty good. I did something similar but a lot more recent.

Right before I got this challenger I was forced to drive an absolute turd Honda with no air conditioning, and during some of the hotter days here in Texas I resorted to getting some of those little freezer packs made of gel, freezing them and sticking them under A 12V oscillating fan and sitting in the passenger seat blowing towards me.

No, it didn’t help much either

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

Is it possible to remove the belly pan for good to make it easier to jack up the front of the car?
It is possible to remove the belly pan for good, but I don't know how much easier it will make jacking up the car. Taking it off is only 4 10mm bolts, and it can be removed relatively quickly.
So you're not saving much time/effort by leaving it off to get a jack up under there quicker.

Can these cars be lifted by the k-member like old cars?
I'm guessing it is. I have tried before, but all the jacks I've used ran out of lift before getting the front tires off the ground, so you'll need a pretty hefty jack to do it and get any use out of it.

Also without looking I don't know, is the belly pan connected to the front bumper cover AND the radiator support?
It's just connected to the front bumper cover, not the radiator support.

was thinking maybe just cut everything off behind the radiator that way it won't affect cooling as much.
Thanks.
Eh, may not hurt, may not help, who knows...

I was not removing it for cooling purposes. I was thinking more of ease of lifting with a floor jack in the middle of the K member.
Pull it off and see if your jack will work there. If not, put it back...or even if it does, I'd say put it back since it's so easy to remove in the first place.

·
Premium Member
7,283 Posts
Don't jack up the car using a standard jack in the middle of the K-member. It is not robust enough and will dent/deform. You can get a gadget that distributes the weight at two places that you can attach to your floor jack. Each end of the gadget is placed at the reinforced area of the K-member. I'm sure somebody will post a picture.

Or, you could take a 2x4 cut to length to distribute the weight and jack up with that. This is the method I use when not using my ramps.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
19 Participants
bwbike
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing