Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2010 SRT8 with 6.1 hemi ,currently in the smokie mountains temp is 85 .The oil temp routinely runs 230 degrees and coolant gauge shows almost 220 when climbing .Is this normal ?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Does your front fan kick-on around 217 deg. coolant temp? If it does, that should bring the coolent temp. down. If your coolent temp stays at 220 degrees then maybe you need to make sure the thermostat is working correctly as well.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,297 Posts
Have a 2010 SRT8 with 6.1 hemi ,currently in the smokie mountains temp is 85 .The oil temp routinely runs 230 degrees and coolant gauge shows almost 220 when climbing .Is this normal ?
Probably.

You just get the car or have had it a while? If a while is this the first time you've paid attention to the oil and coolant temperatures?

As an aside whenever possible with a new car I like to monitor vitals and get a feel for what is "normal" for the car.

I can tell you with my 2018 Hellcat in ~90F ambient temperature just driving around town, no hot rodding just staying within the law and between the white lines, the oil temperature climbed to 235F. Previously the hottest I've seen this is 231F. But I seldom drove the car in high temperature in town. On the freeway the oil temperature stays lower.

Driving the car more now and in more varied situations as it is my only car. Preparing to move out of state and I sold my other car.

Did not observe coolant temperature. In the past though I have found the radiator fan to kick on at around ~216F and shut off at ~208F. I seem to recall occasionally observing the coolant temperature climb a bit higher than 216F.

(With another car under high ambient temperature (116F) conditions coolant temperature climbed to 226F but never went any higher. The fans came on low speed at 212F and switched to high speed at 216F. Obviously at 226F they were operating at high speed and this was sufficient to keep the engine coolant temperature under control.)

Based on my experience with my Hellcat and other cars I'd say what you observed is normal. Also, I will mention while I was very concerned about the 226F coolant temperature and the high intake air temperature -- 135F -- long story short the service manager at my dealer submitted the details to the factory and the response back was -- paraphrasing -- no warning light no warning message no problem. While the engine coolant temperature was "high" the engine and its cooling system were operating within design limits.

You want to be sure the cooling system is not low on coolant and is not losing coolant. That's a leak and a leak can let pressure drop and it is pressure which keeps the hot coolant from boiling. If it boils that can lead to localized overheating which can damage the engine. (For instance it can cause a head gasket failure or a cracked head.)

Oh, and when I encountered that 116F ambient temperature -- and at other times in have driven in 119F temperature -- I was darn glad I had "fresh" oil in the engine, having just had it changed around 1K miles previously, in Sacramento, CA and I had driven to southern AZ and into 116F.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Look into a 180 deg. t’stat. I have a 160 and temps on my 426 typically run around 185 for oil and coolant. Should be tuned for it but no prob. with a stock 2010 PCM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts